Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Agree about picking up their poop absolutely every time, but "if its yellow; let it mellow", as the saying goes. I don't worry if my dogs pee on some bush near the road outside a fellow camper's campsite. People understand.
Exactly. I agree. Just don't let him go completely onto someone else's site to pee or anything else. Keep him on the public paths and pick up all solids that are deposited.

I might add that we got into camping because of our dogs. We got tired of having to be away from them while on cruises or flying trips. We gladly gave all that up to be able to travel with our dogs.

One thing not mentioned here is people who let their dogs wander off-leash around their campsites. We've had many of these that charged aggressively after our dog as we walked by with our dog on a leash. Not acceptable. We'll report that to the campground owners every time. Dogs should be restrained whether they are on your site or out walking.

Our dog stays on a 15-foot tether while outside at our site, but as someone else mentioned, we never leave her outside alone. Mainly because of the folks who don't keep their dogs under control.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
To follow up on the portable Invisible fence. It works great. It is all about training and the folks at IF will help with that. We don't leave him alone in the site but it keeps the leash off and gives him some freedom. I highly recommend it at have not had a CG owner with any issue with it.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-181358365.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	39953   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3505270805.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	39954   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1717142864.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	39955  
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
To follow up on the portable Invisible fence. It works great. It is all about training and the folks at IF will help with that. We don't leave him alone in the site but it keeps the leash off and gives him some freedom. I highly recommend it at have not had a CG owner with any issue with it.
I would not have an issue with that, either. Might be hard for others to actually see that your dog is being electronically restrained, but as long as you're out there, shouldn't be a problem. I only worry about people who can't or won't control their dogs; not responsible dog owners like you. Thanks.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #44
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,680
I think you will find that all these rules came about because every time you go anywhere there is always someone who decides that rules are only for other people and never for them.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Just have to add my 2c to RamblerGuy. Grand Isle state park at the southern most tip of Louisiana has fantastic beaches just across the dunes from the grounds. Up until about two years ago our two toy poodles loved to "dare the waves" and of course, get full of sand. DW and myself always did our duty to their duty and picked up after our poods (no pun intended). I suppose we were among the minority because now dogs are banned from bathing areas..Federal law..but what ISN'T these days.
PetenJeanne is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I think you will find that all these rules came about because every time you go anywhere there is always someone who decides that rules are only for other people and never for them.
This is very true. Last week we spent sometime at little creek CG which is on the Navel base in Norfolk/Virginia beach. Well anyway it is posted that all dogs must be on a leash. My wife would take our dog which is a Britteny (my hunting bird dog) Down a trail for a walk or marked path. Well she had to walk by a trailer that had 2 boxers with them. As my wife started to walk down the trail 1 of the boxers decided to attack my dog and wife. The boxer had my dog by the neck. My wife let the leash go from her hand and told the dog to run. My dog got his scarf ripped off instead of his neck, Then he tried to attach my wife. After her screaming the owner came and grabbed his dog. Thank God nobody was hurt, shaken up you bet. The navy came to investigate. Wanted to ask what I wanted to do about it. They where going to throw them out. I stopped that and said just tell them to follow the rules and leash there pets. We were lucky this time. If everyone follows the rules these things would not happen.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
This is very true. Last week we spent sometime at little creek CG which is on the Navel base in Norfolk/Virginia beach. Well anyway it is posted that all dogs must be on a leash. My wife would take our dog which is a Britteny (my hunting bird dog) Down a trail for a walk or marked path. Well she had to walk by a trailer that had 2 boxers with them. As my wife started to walk down the trail 1 of the boxers decided to attack my dog and wife. The boxer had my dog by the neck. My wife let the leash go from her hand and told the dog to run. My dog got his scarf ripped off instead of his neck, Then he tried to attach my wife. After her screaming the owner came and grabbed his dog. Thank God nobody was hurt, shaken up you bet. The navy came to investigate. Wanted to ask what I wanted to do about it. They where going to throw them out. I stopped that and said just tell them to follow the rules and leash there pets. We were lucky this time. If everyone follows the rules these things would not happen.
I've had similar things happen where people left their dog loose because they believed it would not go away from their campsite. Usually they are wrong, and they endanger their own dogs as well as others. Dogs want to investigate other dogs or other small animals. They like to chase things. You are right: the best thing is to follow the rules. I'm not sure I would have been as benevolent as you were in the situation you described.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
tanddc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 464
I applaud you for being so understanding and must admit I would not have. One thing that people who leave their dogs unleashed to think about are people like me. I carry a pocket knife at all times and if I see a large dog and fell threated I make sure my knife is ready to go. I would hate to hurt a dog but I am not going to stand there and take it. I am sure there are others out there as well that are quite willing to defend themselves. I am glad your wife was ok.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 142
We have had these same kind of issues. We walk a Lab and an English Setter while camping and we keep them on a leash at all times, even on the beach. There are always dogs loose and they tend to come after us, but have only had one actually seem vicious. You were most generous not having the people asked to leave. I don't know if I could have done that. Did the people learn anything from the incident?
__________________

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAlover View Post
We have had these same kind of issues. We walk a Lab and an English Setter while camping and we keep them on a leash at all times, even on the beach. There are always dogs loose and they tend to come after us, but have only had one actually seem vicious. You were most generous not having the people asked to leave. I don't know if I could have done that. Did the people learn anything from the incident?
I can't really say, I know they got a visit from the MWR. A report had to be made out and sent up to the Base Commander, they said that is protocol. The Navy came by twice that day to make sure we were okay and even offered to have the base vet stop by if I wanted. The surprising thing was that the people took off and let the dogs in the trailer for 2 days I think (I saw them leave in the trk but no dogs). I never got a chance to talk to them. When we left the second day at 12:00PM, they still were gone. I can't say if they left the 2 boxers by themselves or took them along.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,200
Sorry about your incident glad no one was seriously injured..... we have had dogs aggressive to our Boxers in campgrounds....... but never an incident.....ours just look at the other dogs like they are crazy. Your incident tells me a lot about the dogs owners as Boxers can be.... but are rarely aggressive. Our family has owned several over the years & never have had an aggressive one or ever an issue... But we never take a chance with any breed, as we always keep them on a leash & a close eye on them when camping even though they are never on a leash at home........ They are by far the most even tempered dog breed we have ever owned.

I just do not understand how any dog owners think it is OK not to have their dog on a leash when camping or on the Beach ...........They are in new surroundings with many different people from what they are accustom to........ We see it all to often though......

I don't think I would suggest carrying an open pocket knife any where as you are really asking for trouble.... If the dog doesn't get you, an aggressive dog owner might or you would be the one charged........... You may be made out to be the attacker...........


__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,200
Another reason to ensure that our Boxers are on leashes is people..... We had three different complete strangers come up to us on the beach last time we were there, walking them & encourage our Boxers to jump on them & give them "kisses" lick them because they missed their Boxers by leaving them at home..... of course this can be any large bread...... then the next person the dog wants to do that to mistakes it for aggression. I really don't understand why someone would go up to a strange dog & put their face near its mouth & have it lick them........... not knowing whether the dog might bite them ......ours would not but who knows what the dog might see a someone being aggressive toward it or us.
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry about your incident glad no one was seriously injured..... we have had dogs aggressive to our Boxers in campgrounds....... but never an incident.....ours just look at the other dogs like they are crazy. Your incident tells me a lot about the dogs owners as Boxers can be.... but are rarely aggressive. Our family has owned several over the years & never have had an aggressive one or ever an issue... But we never take a chance with any breed, as we always keep them on a leash & a close eye on them when camping even though they are never on a leash at home........ They are by far the most even tempered dog breed we have ever owned.

I just do not understand how any dog owners think it is OK not to have their dog on a leash when camping or on the Beach ...........They are in new surroundings with many different people from what they are accustom to........ We see it all to often though......

I don't think I would suggest carrying an open pocket knife any where as you are really asking for trouble.... If the dog doesn't get you, an aggressive dog owner might or you would be the one charged........... You may be made out to be the attacker...........


Oaklevel, I hope you don't think that I meant the Boxer breed is aggressive. I never thought that at all. It's the owners I blame, animals are just animals. in fact there were 2 other Boxers in the CG also. We always say hi to people and ask if it's okay for our dog to approach and say hi as dogs do. Some people say no and others say yes. we are also the type of campers that I respect your space. There are a lot that just think they can walk through your space. I guess some people are stupid or rudd. These people were just plain stupid.......
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Oaklevel, I hope you don't think that I meant the Boxer breed is aggressive. I never thought that at all. It's the owners I blame, animals are just animals. in fact there were 2 other Boxers in the CG also. We always say hi to people and ask if it's okay for our dog to approach and say hi as dogs do. Some people say no and others say yes. we are also the type of campers that I respect your space. There are a lot that just think they can walk through your space. I guess some people are stupid or rudd. These people were just plain stupid.......
No I don't think you were implying that at all & I agree with you 100 % it is the owners of any breed that can make them aggressive. What I do not understand is why people don't think before they do things like leave their dogs unleashed, don't have the need to pick up after them or think they are the only ones in the campground and the rules don't apply to them..

Most people ask before they pet our dogs but I think it is so crazy the ones thank just come up to us encourage our dogs to jump up on them & allow (or have them) lick them on the face. I know they miss theirs but I would never do that to a strangers dog........ I feel like washing Sadie's mouth out afterwards.
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 22
I don't understand campers that leave their pets in their Rv alone. I have never see a campground that lets you leave pets unattended. I have seen many campers do just that. If people keep abusing the rules the campgrounds will just say no pets.

FYI, we have a three year old Catahoula, he is a split personality, loving and goofy to some, protective and territorial to others. He is also very curious regarding wildlife, as a hunting/herding breed this is natural, and while he has never attacked anything he can be quite aggressive. We keep him leashed and attended at all times, as should all pet owners.
__________________
See you oout there soon!
Bisker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
So what is the reasoning behind not allowing them to stay in the RV? I leave my shepherd alone at home. If it's hot out i can see and then i don't leave hime behind. But if it's a nice cool day i just turn on the AC fan and put the radio on low. He doesn't bark when were gone. I know because on more than one occasion i have gone back and just listened to see if i can hear anything.... Nothing. Still don't understand that rule?

Here is my take on that rule.

When you leave your pet unattended you have no idea what it is doing or will do. It may bark and annoy other guests, it may escape your rig, it may take a nap until you get back. The thing is, you are not in control of you pet if you are not there. You leave your dog home alone, those are familiar surroundings, not so with an RV park, all kinds of sights, sounds, and smells! Lastly, the campground has stated it as a rule, just because you don't see the logic, or think it shouldn't apply to you, it does.
__________________
See you oout there soon!
Bisker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Ya well we full time so our to fur monsters are left unattended often. They most likely bark at people going by just like they do when we are home with them. We close the windows turn on the air or heat and open the vents in case the power goes out. We are gone for 3-4 hours sometimes and we can't always take them with us. They are young and will get better but they aren't perfect. I ask the neighbors if they bark and they do but it's not bad and they say it's not an issue. I'm sure they do annoy a bit but I'm annoyed by some also. It's camping relax its not abuse to leave them in a RV.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Ya well we full time so our to fur monsters are left unattended often. They most likely bark at people going by just like they do when we are home with them. We close the windows turn on the air or heat and open the vents in case the power goes out. We are gone for 3-4 hours sometimes and we can't always take them with us. They are young and will get better but they aren't perfect. I ask the neighbors if they bark and they do but it's not bad and they say it's not an issue. I'm sure they do annoy a bit but I'm annoyed by some also. It's camping relax its not abuse to leave them in a RV.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Sounds like you have no problem with breaking park rules, unless you camp at a campground that allows unattended pets. In either case I'm glad you aren't close to me, got enough rule breakers around here.
__________________
See you oout there soon!
Bisker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 247
It is no wonder all the deer and other wild life has disappeared from Florida State Parks. We go camping for the wildlife and the peaceful solitude of the State parks. When a squirrel (about the only wildlife other than Mosquitos left) runs by the dogs start barking which starts more dogs barking. Some campers light up their sites like Disney World. Others must think I enjoy their taste of music with outside speakers. If you enjoy this kind of camping I wish you would stay in Private Parks.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #60
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 28,105
FRIENDLY NOTE BY SITE TEAM:

There is no need to get upset over this, one way or another. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The Thanksgiving Holidays are upon us, and let just all be thankful that we are able to go camping/RV'ing.

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Golf ball-sized hail wouldn't be as destructive if golf balls were just made smaller.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.