Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Dogs and safe travelling.

We've travelled with our dogs in our Minnie Winnie before, and with no issues other than the small space. Our new Isata 3 24FW will be much more spacious when set up. Moving down the road, however, could get interesting. My main concern will be the large step well. We have an 85 pound Lab and a 15 pound muttster, and that deep well could cause problems. Anyone work through similar issues and have creative fixes? I've thought of just covering it or possibly looking for an inflatable.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

We use a cover. 3 dogs in our little unit, which works since I took out the dinette. Having the cover adds a large amount of floor space for us, and we can still get out of needed.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Why does the well concern you? As in, what specific issue concerning the stair well.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
waybeck2018

When we had a Class A and one blind doxie we simply cut a piece of plywood to cover the space then carpeted it. Worked fine

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Why does the well concern you? As in, what specific issue concerning the stair well.
Standing in there today and looking at it, it was pretty easy to imagine a dog falling in there on a turn or sharp curve. It's vinyl flooring so pretty slick to a dog's foot. We'll put a rubber mat down, but I'm thinking preventative measures. It's a pretty big void. I'm already planning a plexiglass cover over the lower part of screen door.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

My dog's idea of where he should be when traveling is in a lap. Then again he only weighs 11 lbs.

For the step-well, a cover with hinges on one side and a strap to lift and secure while up might be a great idea.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

They sell a grate for the bottom of the screen door and a clear section for where the latch is if yours does not have one. Did that to our screen door and our dogs could lay on the floor and look out.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My dog's idea of where he should be when traveling is in a lap. Then again he only weighs 11 lbs.

For the step-well, a cover with hinges on one side and a strap to lift and secure while up might be a great idea.
Tough area as the aft side of well is full of switches and monitors. I'm thinking of a cover like you suggested, which would increase the dog's floorspace while moving. No good place to hinge it, and it's got to be stowable. The bulkhead behind the passenger seat will have soft hanging storage. Hmm mm
Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Standing in there today and looking at it, it was pretty easy to imagine a dog falling in there on a turn or sharp curve. It's vinyl flooring so pretty slick to a dog's foot. We'll put a rubber mat down, but I'm thinking preventative measures. It's a pretty big void. I'm already planning a plexiglass cover over the lower part of screen door.
Was just curious. When had a MH, we traveled with our GSD and it never occurred to me that it might be an issue. Wasn't either. Maybe the carpet floor had something to do with it.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Tough area as the aft side of well is full of switches and monitors. I'm thinking of a cover like you suggested, which would increase the dog's floorspace while moving. No good place to hinge it, and it's got to be stowable. The bulkhead behind the passenger seat will have soft hanging storage. Hmm mm
I put a piece of Convertible plastic back window over my switches to keep rain off and brushing against by accident.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Was just curious. When had a MH, we traveled with our GSD and it never occurred to me that it might be an issue. Wasn't either. Maybe the carpet floor had something to do with it.
The two inside steps in the Isata3 are huge compared to the one in the Minnie. And our dogs are older, still very active but getting to that senior dog status.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #12

They do sell knock down ramps for them to get in easier.
Light weight also.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #13

I agree with your concern, not only for pets but also for people.

That being said, I'm on my second Class A with deep step wells and haven't had any issues.

My 155 pound Newfoundland just walks around the step well.

However, if there were a simple, inexpensive cover for the step well, I'd probably buy and install it.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #14

It would not be too difficult to make a cover. Either to sit on top or flush. Just depends on how fancy/talents are.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #15

It’s never been an issue with my two retrievers. The smaller one’s personal spot is curled up between the two seats.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #16

Traveling with dogs

The thought of traveling with an untethered pet concerns me after our accident that flipped our tv around in the middle of I40. After 18 wheeler side swiped us, things got hairy and flying very fast. After dust settled, our 14 pound rescue was between the front seat and my feet she was traveling on blanket in back seat. The dog still gets nervous by loud 18 wheeler noise. Only travel with her in a pet seat that her harness attaches to. When I open the back door, she jumps up into truck, then on seat and into the pet seat to be hooked up. She has amble room to look out the back window and to sleep which she does most of the time. Seat comes in all sizes and ran about $25 at Wally World. Have seen them at Petsmart as well. Safe travels to you and your fur babies.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #17

I built a cover for the well. It actually fits down in the well and covers the entire opening and about an inch around it. When we're parked at a camp site it lifts out and serves as a step when placed in front of the entrance. It works well for keeping the two large dogs from falling into the well, but it is a pain in the rear for short stops to let the dogs out to do their business, especially since DW tends to cover it with cushions so the dogs are comfortable.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
It was something we were concerned with because we are traveling in a relatively small Class C (25') with two very large dogs (120# Alaskan Malamute and 85# GSD) so space is pretty tight and the extra room lost to the stairwell is valuable. Also with things that tight we've sort of thought that the chances for one of them falling into the well is increased.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #19

DH made a cover for the stairwell in our Lexington which we used when our granddaughter was crawling. When underway our boxer rides on the couch in a harness tethered to the seat belt. He can move from end to end and turn around.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #20

Tentative plan is to install plexiglass over the lower portion of the screen door. I'll attach a cleat to the plexi that will serve as the ledge for the carpeted plywood that will span the step well. That plywood will have a cleat on the bottom side, flush with the top step face/riser that will keep it from moving. A finger hole for quick removal and it should store behind the passenger or driver's seat. All in my head at this point, but I've been building things since I was a kid, so I'm comfortable this will be easy, safe and accomplish the job. I'll post pictures, but that might be spring before I start.

Tags
travel