Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #21
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
One of the reasons we take our 2 week summer camping trip on the Oregon Coast, as opposed to here at home in BC is the dog freidnyl attitude in the majority of the state of Oregon.
Dogs deserve to be allowed to run leash free on a beach, the joy it brings them is so evident. We took our old pooch to Oregon a number of years back, and when we knew his time with us was nearing an end we made the decision to go back, for him. It may sound stupid, but I think what we are prepapred to do to give our pets an enjoyable life reflects the sort of people we are, and hopefully Mrs. Karma notices as well.
If your pooch is no harm to others, and you clean up after him, then why shouldnt he be allowed a little freedom on the beach.

In a nutshell, go to the Oregon Coast, among the many other reasons to, your dog will love you for it.

trikebubble, your post reminded me of this man and this video;

Warning, dusty keyboard alert!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
trikebubble, your post reminded me of this man and this video;

Warning, dusty keyboard alert!

Wow! 19 years for a dog is so rare. What a beautiful and moving video. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #23
NELA

It's one of those videos that make me cry, but I'll watch it over and over anyway. The sheer relief and comfort for the dog is so evident, as is the love that man has for his best friend.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #24
Site Team

I picture a 2yr old toddler being knocked down by a raging bull (playful lab). Public beaches are just too crowded for loose dogs.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
Site Team

It's not OK to break a law just because no one is looking.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #26

Hey Folks remember, dogs like the woods too. That's where I take my dog to burn off energy. Nobody to bother us out there.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Many Oregon beaches have no leash laws. We always let our border collies off leash if there aren't crowds. Just be sure it is legal and clean up after them.
Most Oregon Beaches are ok for dogs off leash from the water to the areas where the grass starts....they they have to be on leash!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #28

Like so many other things in life, common sense should be your guide. Unfortunately common sense is not very common sometimes.

My 2 Border Collies get to walk off leash on beaches where it is legal in Oregon. I do not let them do that if there are lots of people who might be bothered or intimidated. They are not allowed to go up to greet people and if we are close to others their leads go on. I always carry bags to clean up after them. They are always on leash in the RV park or parking lots, etc.

2 years ago on a deserted Oregon beach 2 aggressive acting large dogs came running at us down the beach. No other people anywhere in sight. My dogs were called to heel and the 2 aggressive ones were promptly pepper sprayed which thankfully solved the problem. If it had not worked they would have had to get lead poisoning and that would have been an awful situation.

Be a polite conscientious dog owner and where legal, let those pups play and romp in the surf. Just use that good 'ol common sense that God gave you.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #29

I have a dog that is "special". She has a very protective streak, and we have to be careful of her surroundings. For that reason, she is never off a leash or far from my side if we have to take her in public (which isn't often).

My other dog is awesome. Loves everyone. Sometimes too much and he will lick every person in sight.

No matter what, neither will be off leash. I don't care how bomb proof your dog is, you cannot control them in every situation, and YOU are liable if they do anything. And God forbid they chase a squirrel into a street.

The only time my dog is off leash is when we take him to the best dog beach in Tampa Bay - Fort De Soto dog beach. There are other dog beaches that require a leash. This one allows them to swim off leash, it is protected from any roads, and is not near any of the other beaches. We love it.

I'm a big fan of that yellow ribbon project, and have heard of it.

And for heaven's sake, NEVER stare at or approach a dog unless you have permission!!!! Why oh why must my dog be made out to be the bad guy because some moron doesn't have the decency to treat a dog's space with respect? Do they also do that to humans?? Perhaps I should bark at those people, too?

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #30

I have a 5 yr old lab. I run him on a lunge line. It's a light weight 50 ft. braided cotton snap lead you can get from any farm & feed store. I keep my dog on lead for his protection and my peace of mind after he rcvd a nasty cut on his LF foot from running over smashed bottles that were concealed beneath a light sand layer next to a campfire sight. The beach was deserted, except for us, so I thought ... why not? Well, now I know why not.
Rockwood2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #31

We let ours off the leash quite a bit while on the Washington/Oregon beaches. Never out of site and the german shepherd always has his training collar on. I did get a friendly reminder last year from a Tillamook county sheriff on the beach in Pacific City because that particular beach does have a leash law (however 3 miles north doesn't). "Beach" is one of the forbidden words in our house that has to be spelled out in front of the dogs because once they hear it, they're wired.
whitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #32

Gulf County Florida | Cape San Blas | Gulf of Mexico | St. Joseph State Park

Just don't tell anyone else!

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #33

There are many beaches (east and west coast) that allow dogs to be off leash. Dog friendly beaches still require the owner to be responsible in cleaning up after their dog (something I've found some forget) and in taking responsibility for any damage they may do (another issue owners conveniently forget). If your dog is not trained (obedience training), then it can be considered a menace. Dogs that approach anyone can be terrifying to small children and some adults. This could cause harm to the dog (fear causes people to do stupid things) and if you dog reacts, then the owner is held responsible. Never say "not my dog" because things just happen.
rammcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #34

We take a small "pound rescue" dog with us camping and boating. She loves going out with us. We always keep her on a leash except when in the boat. Most beaches here on the left coast don't allow dogs on the beaches but a few do with a 6 foot leash.

We tent and RV camp at Jalama Beach and noticed that some humans don't pick up after their dogs. One lady even cursed us after we asked her to pick up after her dog in front of our camp area. Some dogs just have untrained owners!

Once I was surf fishing and saw a large dog take off into the water. Dog had no leash and no dogs were allowed on this beach anyway. The dog was spooked by something and would not come back to shore and was tiring rather quickly in the waves. The owner had to risk his own self and swam out to get the dog!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote