Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #21

Dogs

X2 - What Briyoung said
rogerddd is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #22

I think this post closely parallels the conversations about running generators excessively. In both cases it's about consideration. If you get a complaint about your dogs barking, Do Something About It! People understand you may not know about it, you're not there, but when you find out, you know it's a problem. I also have a dog that we sometimes leave in a (large) carry kennel inside the trailer. He has been raised in it and it is his "safe" place. We have never had a complaint, but if we got one I'd be sure to take care of it. Have been in many parks where it's as if the residents don't hear it. It's called common courtesy. It goes both ways though. You don't have to get in a big huff and be threatening when you complain, and you don't have to get upset and be nasty when you receive the complaint. Everybody is trying to get along and have a good time. Be considerate of others and this doesn't have to be such a contentious issue.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
It's not.

Please don't leave your pets unattended. Don't transfer the inconvenience of pet ownership onto the rest of the campground. If you cannot take your pet with you on your outing, then forego that outing. It's that simple.

Last summer, we camped in a location that offered a train ride. The train didn't allow for pets. The dog became an inconvenience. So, we didn't take our dog with us for that trip, because we wanted to go on the train. The alternative would have been that one of the family would have to stay with the dog while the rest went on the train.

That's how that stuff plays out. You don't simply leave dogs behind for others to deal with.
If i leave my dog at home and we are gone for a week she will die. As graphic that may be that is leaving your dog behind. We have friends that would leave us behind if Zoe did not come along.

We take our dog, leave her in the trailer when she can not go with us, leave AC running, radio on. She doesn't bark. We also camp where we mostly can not see our neighbours in the forest.

Blanket statement do not fit all problems or issues. Dogs and Pets are one.
B and B is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #24

When we camp are two Pomeranian's never go anywhere without us that's just what we do...When we leave to go anywhere they go with us...We seek out dog friendly activities when planning our trips.

If dogs aren't allowed somewhere we don't go there...If your Business isn't dog friendly we don't shop there, eat there, etc if we are out and about exploring the local area.

If on the rare occasion we have to travel without the dogs we get a dog sitter to stay at our home with them.

I know that is not everyone's way of thinking and yes it does limit us on the places we can camp and see but we are fine with that and plan are camping trips accordingly.

At Sequoia National Park Vistor' s Center...No dogs allowed on the trail's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	168002  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #25

No telling what they may have been doing while you were gone and that was probably the issue, if they were barking I may be upset too. But the heading says you got a ticket? Or just a sticky note? Too bad you couldnít have talked to them and found out what the problem was.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Here's my four dogs...

They've never barked once while I've been gone...I promise!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProwlerFourCats.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	814.1 KB
ID:	168007  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #27

To the OP:

Was this really a ticket with some kind of fine or court appearance?

Or just a warning letter...
Old 04-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #28

In Virginia, none of the State Parks allow for dogs to be left unattended.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Here's my four dogs...

They've never barked once while I've been gone...I promise!

The window is open... Next week there will be a thread, I was camped and the site next door smelled like a litter box. Kids, wife, and I had to immediately leave and this ruined our entire weekend.

Seasonal is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
If you have a cat can that be considered in charge? Most felines I know rule the K9's hands down.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
Having just come back from Chippokes SP as well as being a regular visitor to many VA SPs, I had to quickly research this.

"Pets are allowed in all Virginia State Parks. State regulations prohibit pets at designated swim areas and require pets to be confined or kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet and kept under supervision while in the park."

I believe "kept under supervision while in the park" may be up for interpetation however. However, I have not seen any action taken with anyone while they were away from their dogs in a SP.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
The window is open... Next week there will be a thread, I was camped and the site next door smelled like a litter box. Kids, wife, and I had to immediately leave and this ruined our entire weekend.
Since I am traveling full-time with my RV...I keep their litter pan up to 'snuff'!

Old 04-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Since I am traveling full-time with my RV...I keep their litter pan up to 'snuff'!

Do you have two cats? Must be a rule somewhere about them. I know someone that has a cat they walk like a dog, pretty funny in the park!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Do you have two cats? Must be a rule somewhere about them. I know someone that has a cat they walk like a dog, pretty funny in the park!
In my photo above (and below) you'll see my four 'dogs'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProwlerFourCats.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	814.1 KB
ID:	168009  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
It's not.

Please don't leave your pets unattended. Don't transfer the inconvenience of pet ownership onto the rest of the campground. If you cannot take your pet with you on your outing, then forego that outing. It's that simple.

Last summer, we camped in a location that offered a train ride. The train didn't allow for pets. The dog became an inconvenience. So, we didn't take our dog with us for that trip, because we wanted to go on the train. The alternative would have been that one of the family would have to stay with the dog while the rest went on the train.

That's how that stuff plays out. You don't simply leave dogs behind for others to deal with.
Thank you! There is no one that loves pets more than I do.
Please consider your neighbors when you bring a pet/child/teen.
Brickie is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #36

Quote:
To the OP:

Was this really a ticket with some kind of fine or court appearance?

Or just a warning letter...
It was just a pre-printed post-it type thing that was signed "Ranger" and the "other" box checked and saying don't leave pets unattended. If I would have seen the ranger before we pulled out I would have asked him what the details of the issue were but we didn't see him. I put the word "ticket" in quotations in the subject for that reason.

Just for the record, we have tested out our dogs before by driving away and then walking back near the site and listening - several times in fact - and never heard a peep out of them. However, they will react to other dogs barking so who knows, maybe somebody started a barking chain while we re gone.

I am sorry if this topic ruffled feathers, I really didn't expect the amount of response I got. I was just curious what others had encountered since I see dogs in TT, 5er's and MH's home alone all the time and had never heard of or seen anyone get a note from the ranger.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #37

Barking dogs

Nothing ruins a nice quiet setting than listening to someoneís fur ball barking all day long until their owners return then they donít bark a bit. That is my 2 cents.
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I have posted this before and got creamed but dogs bark when left alone in a RV. I was a campground host for many years and this was a common complaint. When the owner was confronted they almost always said,"our dogs never bark when we leave." How do they know? The dogs hears the truck come in and stop barking, their people are home. The dog barked all day and when the people come back he is reinforced that the barking worked.

I challenge those who think their dogs are quiet to park on the other side of the campground and sneak up on your trailer, then listen to what your neighbor's had to put up with all day.

This said. One year my wife and I attended a campground host jamboree put on by the state. We took our dog, who we thought never barked. During the dinner the ranger called out our name, when we answered we were told about our barking dog. We drove home that night, embarrassed.

You are absolutely wrong if you think all dogs bark. Ours do not. I have snuck up on our trailer as you have suggested and have never found our dogs to be making any noise at all. I have also asked every neighbor at a campground if our dogs bark and the answer has been no EVERY time. Some do. But not all.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I have posted this before and got creamed but dogs bark when left alone in a RV. I was a campground host for many years and this was a common complaint. When the owner was confronted they almost always said,"our dogs never bark when we leave." How do they know? The dogs hears the truck come in and stop barking, their people are home. The dog barked all day and when the people come back he is reinforced that the barking worked.
I challenge those who think their dogs are quiet to park on the other side of the campground and sneak up on your trailer, then listen to what your neighbor's had to put up with all day.
This said. One year my wife and I attended a campground host jamboree put on by the state. We took our dog, who we thought never barked. During the dinner the ranger called out our name, when we answered we were told about our barking dog. We drove home that night, embarrassed.
Our dog does NOT bark when we are there. Have asked several neighbors. Most of all, if he were to bark it is because someone is around. For that reason we use Alfred and call often. We can hear any noise and see the temp and humidity.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpsyko View Post
Nothing ruins a nice quiet setting than listening to someoneís fur ball barking all day long until their owners return then they donít bark a bit.
Except maybe someone's fur balls peeing on my pet carriers (stored under the trailer), truck and trailer tires and pooping around my RV site and the owners not cleaning it up.

It happens more than most will admit!

Closed Thread