Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #21

Crate train the puppy starting from DAY ONE !. Ignore it if it howls at night. Enroll in a BARK BUSTERS program at a young age. Do not leave the puppy alone for too long for the first 6 months, but keep it in a crate in a separate room and see if it whimpers and howls.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
We take our herd with us everywhere when we are camping. If they can't go then we don't go. When we are out shopping or checking out visitor centers, etc one of us will stay with them, either at the campground, truck or walking around outside of the shop. Just our choice.
Same with us. We have been travelling with dogs since 1992. We won't leave them alone in the camper. We have been at campgrounds where the neighbors leave their dogs and they barked every time we moved around outside. Didn't complain because obviously the people don't care and don't see it being worth getting in a fight. Too many people today are just angry people. If you leave your dog and they do bark for some reason you might be ruining the day or evening for someone else. Most campgrounds say not to leave your dogs unattended in your camper. I guess those rules are only for people who want to follow rules, not everyone. I really don't mean to start an argument but I have had my evenings ruined by people who think they are above the rules and think their dogs don't bark.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #23

Good advice from all sides. We have been camping with dogs for more than 40 years. It is important to get your pet used to staying in a crate while travelling. It keeps your pet safe, and prevents your dog from becoming a missile in the event of a crash.

Most of our camping these days is with other families who also have pets, mostly dogs. If we leave our campsite for more than a few hours, we always notify our friends where we are going and give them one of the keys to our RV in the event of high temperatures and electrical power failure. So far that has not happened.

If we are camping without friends and leave our dogs inside the RV, we post a note on our RV door with our contact information in the event of power failure or other emergency.

If your dog is like the many we have had over the years, he/she will love camping and meeting new people and new four-legged friends!!
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post
Many years ago (before everyone had a cell phone), while camping in Myrtle Beach (full hookup site, A/C on), there was a power glitch while we were gone for the day, and the surge tripped the breaker for the A/C. By the time we got back later in the day, the inside of the motorhome (with our two labs inside) was HOT.

One of the first upgrades I made was to add a fantastic fan with thermostat. It runs off the 12v and takes very little power. When the temperature gets high, it kicks on and if you have a window even slightly cracked, it’ll pull the hot air out in no time!
I’ve always left my guys for shortish periods. I’ve monitored for barking and been fine but I won’t be able to this year. My newest little guy has separation anxiety and a very shrill bark
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #25
Sunseeker 2400MBW

RV parks say "no dogs left in the RV" but it's done all the time. Nobody thinks their dog barks when they are gone. Seems like most of them do, some a LOT! At one park, Cujo wanted to come through the window and kill me when I walked by, it was terrifying. At another park a dog cried like a newborn baby for hours, so distressing. If I had a dog, I would have a video camera to see what the dog actually does and not what you think it does.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #26

Our dog goes with us everywhere. If we sight see and can’t take him - we look for a kennel in the area with day boarding. He loves other dogs and would rather be at a kennel playing than being left in the trailer. We did this recently in Cortez CO when visiting Mesa Verde.
drpjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #27
Erinn

1) Close all blinds. This makes it darker/more relaxing in your RV, plus your dog can't see out & potentially bark at people/dogs passing by. (Turn off all lights, as well.)

2) Turn ON the TV or radio - kinda loud - something to make noise, so your dog won't hear outside noises, that may lead to barking.

3) Leave a note on the outside of your RV door, with your cell number on it, with instructions to call you, if there are any issues!

4) Last, but certainly not least - as you are walking out the door, give your pooch a nice, long-lasting treat (like a rawhide bone, or something); use these "really special" treats ONLY when you are leaving him/her.

We have 3 min schnauzers & these little "tricks" work really well; they are usually all sound asleep when we arrive back at camp!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #28

All of your advice is great except the rawhide bones....I've heard of dogs swallowing them whole because they get so slippery, or even a large piece. It then causes a blockage and if you don't know they swallowed it soon enough and get them to the vet it's deadly. I think they should stop selling them.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #29
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmeisinger View Post
I just recently purchased my first fifth wheel and cannot wait to get out and use it if it ever warms up in Nebraska. I am also on a list to get a new puppy in April. How do you travel with RV and dog when so many RV parks have rules against leaving a dog unattended even in your RV?

I realize the national parks do not let dogs on the trails, but how do you go hiking without leaving your dog in the RV? Are there many RV parks that allow unattended dogs in the RV? How do you go to a restaurant or grocery store without leaving your dog in the RV?

I could really use some advice from experienced pet owners and travelers. I want to be able to have a dog and still travel in the RV.

HELP!!!

It's good of you to be asking for advice on a sensitive subject. There has been a lot of discussion on this so you might want to search for other posts/conversations. We have traveled with dog(s) for many years and in a larger motorhome than we have now, left them in the bedroom with a/c fan and radio on to mask outside noises. You could probably do this in your new 5er. No complaints ever. Now we just leave the 1 dog in the RV with fan and radio on and she is good. With electronics available we keep watch on what's going on in the RV and she hasn't been noisy til we drive up and turn the key on the RV door. She does travel in a crate for safety (motorhome).

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
1)
4) Last, but certainly not least - as you are walking out the door, give your pooch a nice, long-lasting treat (like a rawhide bone, or something); use these "really special" treats ONLY when you are leaving him/her.!

STRONGLY disagree... I have seen dead dogs from every chew item you can imagine... chew items are great for cleaning dog teeth but MUST be supervised when in use. As a veterinarian I recommend the use of products approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (will have VOHC seal on it) ...and ALL must be used supervised.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
STRONGLY disagree... I have seen dead dogs from every chew item you can imagine... chew items are great for cleaning dog teeth but MUST be supervised when in use. As a veterinarian I recommend the use of products approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (will have VOHC seal on it) ...and ALL must be used supervised.
Thank you for your input Good info.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #32
Erinn

Couldn't think of the name of ones I buy, so I just wrote "rawhide bones" - I MEANT, "Give them a long-lasting treat" (something that they won't be done with, before you can "escape").

I give our dogs SMART BONES and SMART STICKS - Both contain ZERO rawhide, & are available at chewy.com - best pricing I've found for them.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #33
Erinn

Oh, puhleeze…..

Dogs do choke on all kinds chew items; they love to chew.

A friend of ours dog used to steal the empty plastic water bottles anyone would leave laying around. She ended up swallowing a plastic bottle cap - $3,000 for surgery to remove it.

A dog left alone (especially a puppy) is going to chew on SOMETHING; I would certainly rather have it be a Smart Bone, then the leather upholstery in our RV!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #34

First RV w/ Dog Help!!

Tendons, APPROPRIATELY sized stuffed bones, and stuffed Kongs all work for my guys. Almost 30 years in pet retail has taught me that many issues are caused by people not knowing their dogs’ chewing style and by people cheaping out and getting smaller, less expensive chew items than are suitable for their dog.
And crate train! People say “he’s good, he doesn’t need a crate (at all or anymore) but what about when you travel? Or when you need to board? Or if he needs to stay overnight at the vet? Much less stressful he’s used to it.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #35

We always leave the TV or radio on so they are occupied while out. Ensure the toilet lid is closed.
Make sure you give them a bathroom break before leaving. And put up anything you don’t want chewed on. Especially the trash can.
Good luck
Magnum_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #36

Dog question

April for a dog? Hmmm. So I am guessing your are buying a dog instead of saving a dog?
I camp with my rescue from tent to trailer. Just like kids, you train them.
Back to my issue, go get your new fur baby now from your local shelter!!! Save a life.
TrixieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #37

We are going to national parks this summer and have found very reasonably priced dog day care centers for our day long hikes
royboy334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #38

sounds like you need this animal, I would consult my DR and let him know how important this is to you and your mate and ask DR to write you a ESA letter.
Stormvet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #39

choose

choose dog friendly rv parks...there's alot out there..
Old 02-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #40
USAF Retired

We have always left our furr-babies in the trailer when going places they can't attend. In hot weather we would make sure the temp inside stayed comfortable. We run the generator if we are stopped on the road and the outside temp is above the 70's. Also we post a sign in the forward facing window, with our cell #, to ask that someone call us is power is lost in the parks. Our are trained not to bark at noises and people going by. If we are going for a long day, we also give them a chew treat to keep them busy for a while. plenty of water as they have learned to hold until we return. We have never crated as we feel the RV is crate enough; we have two 65lb and 87lb furr-babies and one purr-baby.
Peppercatt is offline   Reply With Quote