Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

First RV w/ Dog Help!!

I just recently purchased my first fifth wheel and cannot wait to get out and use it if it ever warms up in Nebraska. I am also on a list to get a new puppy in April. How do you travel with RV and dog when so many RV parks have rules against leaving a dog unattended even in your RV?

I realize the national parks do not let dogs on the trails, but how do you go hiking without leaving your dog in the RV? Are there many RV parks that allow unattended dogs in the RV? How do you go to a restaurant or grocery store without leaving your dog in the RV?

I could really use some advice from experienced pet owners and travelers. I want to be able to have a dog and still travel in the RV.

HELP!!!
rlmeisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

Crate train the new pup from day one. We travel with small pup and she is safe and quiet in her crate if we're away from the camper.

I can put her crate in the truck, so she can hang out in the truck if we need to make a rest and/or food stop.

When we're at the camper she gets ALL of the attention, lots of love and campground walks.

Good luck with the new pup!
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

I've never had an issue with leaving my pet in the trailer as wife and I went to dinner, etc. We never did so unless it was cool enough or we were in a full hookup campground and could leave the A/C on.

While on the road if we stopped for a meal in a restaurant the trailer usually remained cool enough for the pup(s) to be comfortable for the hour or so we would be in the restaurant. Left with plenty of water, vents open, and blinds pulled. FAR BETTER than just in the truck which could heat up in minutes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

Work with your veterinarian to get help with properly training your new pup to the crate.... dogs are naturally den animals & when a crate is used properly (no more than 1 hr / month of age at a time) & housebreaking is done thru positive training you will have a great on the road dog. This includes no anxiety issues (we cause those, they are not natural to the dog) & proper training about barking so your neighbors love you.

Lots of threads out here on temperature monitors in the RV for when you leave for a bit. Ask your neighbors too about the behavior so you know what you need to address... most are more than willing to let you know if there is a problem :-)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

I am sure the main reason for not leaving unattended dogs is the barking and howling which bothers those next to you. We traveled for 10 years with a greyhound who never barked. (We checked with neighbors to make sure.) We left her unattended many times with never a complaint. We have also mentioned (nicely) to someone whose dog was making noise and they claimed they were unaware and thanked us.
vmi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

Many years ago (before everyone had a cell phone), while camping in Myrtle Beach (full hookup site, A/C on), there was a power glitch while we were gone for the day, and the surge tripped the breaker for the A/C. By the time we got back later in the day, the inside of the motorhome (with our two labs inside) was HOT. Had to carry both dogs outside and wet them down with cool water in the shade for several minutes before they did anything other than lay on their sides, panting like crazy. As a kid, it was pretty scary. When we leave the dogs inside, we leave windows open instead of running the A/C. If it's too hot and we have to run the A/C on, we leave a phone number with neighbors in case there's an issue...never rely 100% on RV park power.
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmeisinger View Post
I just recently purchased my first fifth wheel and cannot wait to get out and use it if it ever warms up in Nebraska. I am also on a list to get a new puppy in April. How do you travel with RV and dog when so many RV parks have rules against leaving a dog unattended even in your RV?

I realize the national parks do not let dogs on the trails, but how do you go hiking without leaving your dog in the RV? Are there many RV parks that allow unattended dogs in the RV? How do you go to a restaurant or grocery store without leaving your dog in the RV?

I could really use some advice from experienced pet owners and travelers. I want to be able to have a dog and still travel in the RV.

HELP!!!
Good luck with the pup. Our dogs are like maniacs as soon as they see me hook up the trailer. Warm ? Gonna take till July to dig mine out of the snow. Eastern edge of Nebraska.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

We crate ours when we go somewhere and have never had a problem. Our dogs, we have three, all stay in the crates when we go sight seeing and don't bark or make any noise. As long as you leave them water and keep the AC on they will be fine.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

We typically only take the dog when strictly camping. If planning to site see a bunch we will have someone watch her.

That said she is crate trained. We don't need to lock her up as it is just her safe place now. When camping and we have to leave her I leave an old phone with the Albert app installed (assumes wifi at camp) and a thermometer in view. We leave the TV or radio going to drown out local noise as well. TV we need to be careful that dog shows dont come on or she barks at that.

We have found that staying in the trailer for her too long is boring so bones and toys help with that and keep her busy. She gets plenty of walks when we return and before we leave. We have asked others to check on her if we have friendly neighbors or friends nearby. She really only barks at the TV and the doorbell at home so we just avoid the TV programs on the road. I always leave the trailer unlocked with her there. She is not a guard dog bit I have found many campgrounds where people will help out if something bad happens (put down awnings for wind/weather, turn off water for flooding, maybe a fire get her out?) and I would like to make it easy for someone to get her out.

The one really bad thing is she likes to hide pieces of food everywhere. I cannot figure out how to break this habbit. She "stored" some in the vents, sofa, chairs etc and if left it can bring mice. I spend lots of time in the fall checking for this.

The time you spend training your puppy will pay dividends as they age and you want to do more. Take some classes if you have not done so. They train you to train the dog. The dog just comes so you can practice.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
(Dry Huunday)

We take our herd with us everywhere when we are camping. If they can't go then we don't go. When we are out shopping or checking out visitor centers, etc one of us will stay with them, either at the campground, truck or walking around outside of the shop. Just our choice.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #11

Hello. Another option you might consider if you want to hike or go to attractions without your pup is local boarding or daycare for while you're out. There are some good websites for traveling dog families, and good tips, too for local things to do with your dog, including dog-friendly beaches and hikes. Just be sure to have a copy of your dog's immunizations with you. We tend to keep our dogs with us and adapt our activities to dog friendly things when they are camping with us. For grocery shopping, etc, when it's hot outside, one of us stays with the dogs in the truck with the AC on. Or just one of us runs the errands, leaving the other human with doggies at camp. This works for us since there are at least 2 people camping. For dinner out, we wait til later, as the sun sets. If it's still too hot to leave them, we'll do a carry out order.
Gene and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
Chris and Cecil

First dog

I have friends with a class A and 2 dogs, and they check with the RV park about local veterinarians who will board dogs for several hours or if they plan to be gone overnight from the campground. If you'll be staying in an RV park check with them about local dog boarding options.

Haha! Gene and Pam beat me to it!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #13

We have traveled with one or two dogs in our motor home for about 6 years without any problem other than hiring a dog walker during extended absences. We now have two pups who we are trying to piddle pad train. When hot, we have both AC's on for extra safety. Would be even nicer if our generator had an auto start and switch over. Keeping all the shades closed cuts back on heat and prevents the "guards" from alerting to people or animals out side. Having a TV or radio on while away is also a good idea. As far as public parks are concerned, not all trails are restricted against pets. Best to ask while checking in. Right now our pups are less than 13 weeks old and their stomachs do not tolerate riding in a vehicle which we hope will fix itself when they get older. Not feeding before riding and possible using a medicine called Bonine can help overcome car sickness. I think this works for people too.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #14

We also take our fur babies rving with us and leave during the day without issues. Have not had any neighbors complain. However, last June the wife and I went to Fredericksburg Tx for our anniversary. We were in town strolling and visiting shops when the park manager called and said we needed to get back as our dogs were barking. So we shortened our site seeing and went back. Funny thing when we got back was that there was no one around us that would have or could have herard them. I asked at the office about them barking and was told one of their workers was in the site next to ours and moving a picnic table and heard them barking. I said well they were not bothering anyone and only started because they were disturbed. DUH! Well park manager didn't like that so we "had" to leave the next morning. Out side of that if we have neighbors that have dogs and they bark during the day while alone, it really doesn't bother me, but if they are gone at night and dog barks while we are trying to sleep, that's another thing.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #15

Hi again. I just checked thru my favorites to help you w/resources. One good website I'd found is BringFido.com.
Happy camping!
Gene and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #16
Insert witty title here

When we go to Disney, we leave our pups in the camper all day with the AC on. We do come back mid day for lunch and to let them out. We usually just find them either asleep or chewing on their toys.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #17

RV and puppies

We just went thru the experience with a 10 week old Pug. We purchased a plastic corral made up with 36" x 24" sections that couple together. We bought 6 of these sections from Amazon . Puppies are very active and will destroy your RV if not contained. Buy plenty of toys and bandages. After the first month we took him back for a 2 week break with the breeder so we could regain our composure. We also used these sections at home to close of areas. Good luck and have a lot of patience.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #18

Our pups love camping with us. They are small dogs so we have a trailer that they ride in for bike rides. We have to get another backpack for the long walks that they tire out on. When we go to a shop or tourist stop for a while we leave the ac on and the tv. Pull the blinds. Haven’t had any issues with them barking
Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
We take our herd with us everywhere when we are camping. If they can't go then we don't go. When we are out shopping or checking out visitor centers, etc one of us will stay with them, either at the campground, truck or walking around outside of the shop. Just our choice.
Same with us. We go to restaurants with patios and most love dogs, bring water and will cook up treats for her.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
Same with us. We go to restaurants with patios and most love dogs, bring water and will cook up treats for her.
Go to Depoe Bay, Oregon and there's a water dish outside most shops on the sidewalk. Many businesses have realized that lots of people have dogs. Treat the dogs well and people will patronize the business.

I'm sure this happens in other towns that draw a lot of visitors as well

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote