Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Citrus County, Fl.

Furry Kid Temperature Alert

Does anybody have experience using either one of these listed below? I have narrowed it down to these two as I don't want to spend $350+ for one or get one that requires a router or a spare cell phone to be left in the coach.

This subject was brought up last year with a few suggestions. One, which I am still considering is the Temp Stick from idealsciences.com for $149 and requires no subscription and works off a wi-fi connection, cell hot spot or jet-pack. It comes with two 1.5V AA alkaline batteries. Average battery life expectancy with default settings is up to 1 year. This one has a 1 year warranty.

The other one is the Nimble N5 thru rvpetsafety.com. This one is $169 (with a $30 discount), requires a subscription which is $16.66 a month for full time or $19.99 a month as needed and be started or stopped an any time without any fees. This unit mounts to the wall and has lithium batteries that require charging every 1-2 days via the included micro usb port and adapter. This unit does not require a wi-fi connection as it's set up to work automatically with Verizon or can be used with another carrier with an additional sim card. It also has a 1 year replacement warranty.

Both send alerts via email, text or you can monitor thru an app they have available.

We would like to get one or the other before heading up to the International rally in August since we expect to be out of the RV for several hours at a time.
I have the Verizon mi-fi jet pack which has only been used once with an OK signal but no external antenna.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #2

We use the Temp Stick and are very pleased with it. We use it with a Verizon Hot Spot and the combination works very well. We always test its operation before leaving and it has never failed. And no monthly fee is an added bonus.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

I am kind of leaning toward that one, especially since you don't have to charge the batteries. I would also bet the signal from the jet pack is better than what the other unit can pick up. Do you use an external antenna and if so which one?
99 Terry 31G
Old 07-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

I have never needed an external antenna. The Verizon Jet Pack that we have doesn't have provisions for an external antenna. Also, with the Temp Stick you don't have to wait for an alert. You can connect with it and see what the temperature is at any time. And if power to the RV is lost the Jet Pack and Temp Stick are both battery powered so you are covered there.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

Smile

On the temp stick can you tell me what time frame you have for reporting and also how long the batteries last at that setting? Since the RV can heat up quickly if the power goes out I was considering 15 minute intervals to allow for travel time back to the site.

I have been doing some more research and it appears the other unit (Nimble N5) is not made in the USA like the Temp Stick is and their tech support is from India. I was able to find one review for them the reviewer complained there was a language barrier in communicating with them and she was charged for the monitoring subscription from the date of the order not the date received. Here is a link to the review if anybody is interested

Thanks for all of your help
99 Terry 31G
Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

It is in our MH in a storage lot now so I don't have access to it, but I think that we had it set for 30 minute reporting while traveling. At one time we were having problems with our home refrigerator so I used the Temp Stick in it for two days set at 15 minute intervals and it ran with no problems. You probably have already read the Amazon reviews which are very good. The only thing that I think would improve it would be a power switch. It is always on if there are batteries in it, but at least it won't get shut off accidentally.