Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2022, 07:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
Everyone saying that pets can't be hauled in a trailer ever noticed how animals are transported? When I was in Ocala the horse trailers were enclosed with A/C and traveled thousands of miles. What's the difference in a TT or 5ver with A/C?
The AC in a travel trailer of 5th wheel works while you are towing down the road in hot weather? How have I never found this option. Where is the switch.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
The AC in a travel trailer of 5th wheel works while you are towing down the road in hot weather? How have I never found this option. Where is the switch.
With an on board generator it will work just fine, uses a bit more fuel, but it works.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #43

The last thing i'm going to do is drive down the highway at 65 with a generator running. Were not talking a million dollar class A meant to do that.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:03 PM   #44

Cockatoos & a macaw.... no way. Conures are loud but you top that and you will be booted from most campgrounds (& many do not allow that many creatures). Maybe the people taking in livestock for you could also care for the birds temporarily.
I work with Florida Parrot Rescue & the number of surrenders are sad - there are plenty of great sanctuaries that if your birds are fully veterinary evaluated they may be admitted to live out their lives there & could spend volunteer hours to help out down the line. The size of your birds, wingspan minimum cage size & mess (plus possible destruction at 3000 pounds / square inch in those beaks) will have you in a bind to provide for the health of the birds on the road.

Temporary - sure. Weeks or more - no way ... love your birds & find a place for them to stay.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #45

I see birds all the time in the campgrounds that we go to usually big parrots. It can be done but it would take a lot of preplanning.

I see SPCA type groups carrying rescues in trailers all the time but I do not know if the trailers are special.

Saw one person have five Great Danes in a camper. I wouldn't but it was probably short term.

The best thing to do probably is a permanent site but not cheap either.

I do wish you luck in what ever works for you.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:15 PM   #46

One thing you haven’t mentioned is your definition of traveling full time and where you intend to settle down. It may be tough to stay in parks with a breed (I love Pyrenees) that is nocturnal by nature. Do you have an idea where you want to settle? If so look for a place to rent within a reasonable distance. Or if unsure maybe by a horse trailer with living facilities. It’ll be tight but they’re built to contain large animals and keep them comfortable in different climates. Of course you’d need an adequate tow vehicle for the trailer. Any way you go won’t be cheap to keep everyone safe and comfortable.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
Everyone saying that pets can't be hauled in a trailer ever noticed how animals are transported? When I was in Ocala the horse trailers were enclosed with A/C and traveled thousands of miles. What's the difference in a TT or 5ver with A/C?
That the horse trailers are built for transporting horses (weighing 1000lbs), meanwhile TT's and 5vers are built to provide comfort while being stationary. Ever travelled in a TT while driving? I think that may help you understand what you do to your dog or cat when you stuff them into your towed.
And yes, livestock is treated most times as disposable junk. The notion that animals are things made to serve us and denying animals emotions and awareness leads to that kind of thinking. But I digress.

Sometimes you have to make tough choices and sometimes rehoming in the better one.

Hope the OP finds a solution that is acceptable for all.
HelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
That the horse trailers are built for transporting horses (weighing 1000lbs), meanwhile TT's and 5vers are built to provide comfort while being stationary. Ever travelled in a TT while driving? I think that may help you understand what you do to your dog or cat when you stuff them into your towed.
And yes, livestock is treated most times as disposable junk. The notion that animals are things made to serve us and denying animals emotions and awareness leads to that kind of thinking. But I digress.
I'm sorry but I must disagree, you are misinformed and insulting. Often horses are cared for and worth more that the trailer that they are riding. Cattle are also often well cared for even though they may end up on your dinner plate. Goosenecks and fifth wheels ride much better than TTs esp. when shocks are added.

Have you ever lived on a farm ?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #49

It seems that most are saying it can't be done rather than offering good idea or help.

Good idea to us or not.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-20-2022, 12:22 PM   #50
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post

Same as the horse trailers, buy one with a generator. The one 5vr I had included an onboard generator, 3 of the 5 TT I've owned had one as well. It's not uncommon for high level RVs to have on board generators.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #51
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:

Sometimes you have to make tough choices and sometimes rehoming in the better one.

Hope the OP finds a solution that is acceptable for all.
LOL, you think they mistreat horses that are selling for $20M? Just because you aren't familiar with something doesn't mean it's wrong. Information cures fear due to ignorance.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #52

Can a moderator please close this thread, it is digressing to the point of not being helpful.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:22 PM   #53

There's a misunderstanding. In my post I said that horse trailers are made to keep horses comfortable during transport. I bet you missed that.

(Unlike transportation of other livestock. Maybe if someone transports their prized bulls in a $100k trailer, that may be different.)

We live on a farm. We have horses.

But my apologies if I offended anybody. It was not in my intention. In any case, I'm still not for having your dogs or pets travel in a travel trailer like lwbfl suggested.

Anyway, take it easy.

And how this relates to the topic? If you want to have your pets travel in the trailer, then a horse trailer would be the best option. Or a fifth wheel with the right hitch and beefed up suspension. But nothing beats having them in the motorhome. When I was a child, I rode once in a travel trailer. Not really enjoyable. I was glad when I could get out.
Just my opinion.
HelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #54
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
There's a misunderstanding. In my post I said that horse trailers are made to keep horses comfortable during transport. I bet you missed that.

(Unlike transportation of other livestock. Maybe if someone transports their prized bulls in a $100k trailer, that may be different.)

We live on a farm. We have horses.

But my apologies if I offended anybody. It was not in my intention. In any case, I'm still not for having your dogs or pets travel in a travel trailer like lwbfl suggested.

Anyway, take it easy.

And how this relates to the topic? If you want to have your pets travel in the trailer, then a horse trailer would be the best option. Or a fifth wheel with the right hitch and beefed up suspension. But nothing beats having them in the motorhome. When I was a child, I rode once in a travel trailer. Not really enjoyable. I was glad when I could get out.
Just my opinion.

When I worked at a dairy, we transported a very young calf to the vet 30 miles away. I rode with the calf in the horse trailer. I was 15 and will never be talked into that again so I know what you mean on that one!
Old 04-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #55

tough choices whichever way you go. that is a lot of animals to travel with. We travel with 5 (now 4) dogs in a 15 passenger van. 1-2 dogs per crate but they are in the same vehicle space as us so that may not help you. One suggestion is to check out a box truck (and then pull a travel trailer). We do dog shows and a lot of the handlers use box trucks to travel with their dogs. the box trucks ride on the same suspension as a truck so not as bouncy as the tt and they can be set up with A/C and heat. I have seen set ups as plain as just an open area with crates all the way up to deluxe set ups with dual A/C, heat, running water with grey tank, and accommodations for humans to relax in. Its all in how much you have to spend and how fancy you want to get. Just one option you might look into. Good Luck.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, travel