Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you restrain your pet
Keep them on a tether/leash always? 94 82.46%
They just hang out at the campsite? 10 8.77%
Keep them in the camper? 8 7.02%
Just let them run free through the CG? 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

How do you restrain your animals at the camp site?

Just a quick poll to see what others do to restrain your pets (dogs mainly). I've noticed more CGs getting stricter on leash laws. And most of the state and fed CGs won't allow any tethers to trees these days. We have a 5 year old yellow lab who likes to lay by the camper/table/ basically wherever we are. We've had camp hosts stop and tell us the dog needs to be on a leash or other restraint. Seems to me if the dog is laying on the ground when someone walks up, logic says there won't be an issue. Just wondering if the campground nazi's are increasing across the country...?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

I have used a stake in the ground to tether my pooch (DNA say bulldog/terrier looks more like a pit). The breed restriction is my biggest hurdle so I bring the DNA results with me. NYS parks were very forgiving as the pooch ran out of a rented cabin and tried to make an appetizer out of a small dog but that's another story..
Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

We used an exercise pen to setup for our 150# BullMastiff and 50# English Bulldog to hang out in. They like to be outside with us and this works very well. We put their water an food in there with them and they are content and contained.

https://www.chewy.com/dog/midwest-bl...FQ4zaQodPTQNhw
Old 02-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

I don't think it's the campground Nazi's making the rules, more like the insurance companies.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Stake screwed into the ground (unless ground is too rocky), around the picnic table bench, secured to camp chair (if chair occupied). Whatever it takes to keep the pets and neighbors happy. Have leads of varying lengths to keep them within the confines of our site. We have 2 Boston Terriers - very friendly and each about 20 lbs. For walks I generally use a braided leash that splits into 2 so both are walked together. They are each others best pal so this works OK. Both have harnesses for attachment points.

Last year we ran into the same couple at 2 different campgrounds. They had a border collie that was left loose but never left its site unless on a walk with its owners and was the friendliest, most well behaved dog I had ever seen in my life. Everybody in the camping loop got to know the dog by name and no campers complained. He was either a superior dog or had superior owners.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
Old 02-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

We keep our killer on a leash at all times.All 6 1/2#of her.We know some don't enjoy pets as we and others do. She will bark at other dogs that walk by,but wouldn't bite a cold biscuit. Makes for a more enjoyable time at the
Old 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

We actually do a mix of the hang out at campsite, keep in camper, and keep on a leash. Willie is content to sit next to my chair when outside, but will wander if I get distracted. He is not big enough to defend himself from some of the larger dogs who also wander, so if we get busy, he will be put inside. I've tried bringing our exercise pen with us, but he is a horridly relentless whiner and would disturb any neighbors sitting outside.
Of course, any time we leave the campground for a walk or potty break, his is on a leash, and we pick up after him before continuing our walks.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

They pretty much hang out with us. The only time they are outside is if one of us are and if so they are tethered/leashed.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

We purchased 2 wire exercise pens ( joined together making a 16' round pen ) years ago for our 2 dogs when we would go camping. 1 American Bulldog and 1 Standard Poodle, at the time. Currently we have a APB utilizing the same double exercise pen. Works great and keeps our dog contained, and SAFE! Now, if someone wants to come up and meet her, she is always welcoming a nice petting.

As to the CG Natzi's, I think every CG has Rules posted throughout the CG pertaining to tethering and containing pets. Some people choose to follow them, some don't!
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Old 02-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I don't think it's the campground Nazi's making the rules, more like the insurance companies.
Unfortunately, litigation has changed this country forever ... and not for the better!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Team

There are many reasons for pets on leashes. It is not just another dog walking past but an animal (ie squirrel) that may run through the campsite. Many campgrounds just started allowing dogs because of demand. The restraint/ leash requirement was the compromise that allowed this to happen. The breed restrictions that remain are almost universally dictated by insurance companies. It is also for your benefit as a dog is much more likely to get lost if chasing an animal in a strange location.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Ex pens at the campsite, leashes for walks. Our dogs are friendly, but some people don't like dogs. The cat stays in the trailer.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Always Learning

It's not campground Nazis, rules are rules. If the campground rules say to leash your dog, then leash or constrain the thing in some way. If the campground allows pets and doesn't have leash rules, I won't stay there.

I don't like unleashed dogs. Not in the slightest. It's not acceptable and it's not OK. I don't care that your dog has never ("and will never") bite someone. I'm not comfortable and especially so when my kids are out.

And if it's leashed- please don't let it run up to me to sniff me or my kids. (The vice versa is true- my kids ask before approaching someone's pets.) I go into protective mode when your dog comes around and don't relax until it's gone.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

We have a large carabiner clip the we clip to one of the holes in our leveling devices. We clip the retractable leash to it. Our dog has 12' of the camp site to hang out with us.
Our dog is only 10lbs and we also don't like large dogs running around free. I understand dogs get out and run around. But some people don't think they have to follow the rules.
I agree with others that everyone needs to control there animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #15

It's not just litigation and insurance. Pets (mostly dogs) running loose are a complete nuisance. As an avid dog owner and lover, I completely support leash requirements. We recently had a very bad experience in a park where some people unloading their tent from a car as we were walking past on a trail had their "friendly" dog on the loose, and the dog ran up to us and our dog and proceed to run circles around us and generally harass us (NOT in a nice way so don't even suggest that) until we left the area. I gave those people a real piece of my mind. Apart from being completely rude and inconsiderate, you have to appreciate that OUR dog might well have attacked him as a territorial defense or in defense of his owners. Then, of course, WE would have been to blame, right, because that's OUR dog being bad (our dog who was walking nicely on a leash along a trial minding his own business with us until attacked). Thankfully we were able to restrain our dog and prevent a disaster that might have spoiled both families' vacations. You also cannot predict when a child or some "adult" will do something inappropriate that would provoke a generally friendly dog into doing something the dog would then get blamed for, like biting a child (who may be trying to hit it with a stick). You also have to take into account the sudden and unexpected appearance of wildlife, which can either cause a dog to run in pursuit, or which can have a very unhappy ending when Poopsie ends up as some animal's evening snack. In any campground, all dogs should be indoors or on a leash at all times. It's simple, safe and effective.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
You also cannot predict when a child or some "adult" will do something inappropriate that would provoke a generally friendly dog into doing something the dog would then get blamed for, like biting a child (who may be trying to hit it with a stick).
I read that you're pro-leash and am thankful for that.

But, to put one bit in perspective for others (and hopefully the OP)...

Good dogs sometimes get confused and bite. My grandmother was mauled by a dog as she knocked on someone's door at their house. She didn't provoke it- the owner went around back and the dog got confused. Bit her arm, pulled her down, and didn't let go.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #17

The rules are for those people that just do not get it. I love dogs and the big ones are my favorite.

I witnessed last Easter a fellow show up with his family and dog to camp with the parental units. This fellow would walk with his son to basketball court every day and I repeatedly heard his son keep asking to hold the leash on the dog. The father keep saying no to his son(they did weigh the same). At their campsites things changed. No tie down at all.

One afternoon a lady walked thru our lane with her dog that could sit in your hand. I watched her scoop up her dog in her arms and use her elbows to fend off the loose dog that was trying to eat it out of her arms.

The owner had to pick up his dog and walk away to end it. He never spoke a word to the lady, just scolded his dog and tied it up for a few hours. This lady was left trembling on the road.

I do not think I need to say anything more about some people...

Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #18
Gold Miner At Heart

We have a 18 year old 8Lb Schnoodle and a 4 year old 6 1/2 Lb Teacup Poodle. We keep a colaspable play pen in the storage area and pop it up under the awning and they stay in there when we're sitting outside and on a leash when walking.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
The rules are for those people that just do not get it. I love dogs and the big ones are my favorite.

I witnessed last Easter a fellow show up with his family and dog to camp with the parental units. This fellow would walk with his son to basketball court every day and I repeatedly heard his son keep asking to hold the leash on the dog. The father keep saying no to his son(they did weigh the same). At their campsites things changed. No tie down at all.

One afternoon a lady walked thru our lane with her dog that could sit in your hand. I watched her scoop up her dog in her arms and use her elbows to fend off the loose dog that was trying to eat it out of her arms.

The owner had to pick up his dog and walk away to end it. He never spoke a word to the lady, just scolded his dog and tied it up for a few hours. This lady was left trembling on the road.

I do not think I need to say anything more about some people...

And those are the people that ruin it for responsible pet owners.

The only time ours "run free" outside is when we are at home and they are behind their fenced in five acres! Anywhere else one of us always have positive control over them.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #20
(Dry Huunday)

Edit...IF the campground has an enclosed dog run and there are no other dogs using in it then we will let them roam around in that area off leash . But as soon as someone else shows up we will leave so they can use the facilities.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Closed Thread