Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Leaving Dog in TT in Summer?

We like to take our dog with us camping. We're thinking of going to Old Orchard Beach, ME this summer. If we go to the beach, we'll have to leave our dog in his crate in the TT. We've only ever left him in the TT in the summer if we ran out to get groceries or went to a CG event.

Of course we would have the AC going, but if we're at the beach and the CG loses power, I don't see how we could get back in time before the TT got too hot. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Would you bring your dog with you if you had to leave him in the camper in the summer while you went off site for several hours?

Are there any good solutions to this or basically just leave him at home?
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #2

Isn't there WiFi apps that allow you to check on pooch and the power while you are away from the TT?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #3

Most of the campgrounds in the OOB area are higher quality with only a couple exceptions... and in my opinion are less likely to lose power for long, if at all.

We travel with our lab on a regular basis and when we go away for the day we leave the AC on for him, along with the tv actually (he loves nature shows). We turn the camper fan on low and set a lower temp, say 65, in the camper. The AC runs some of the time, but the blower runs the whole time. And if the power were to go out the blower will run on the battery keeping the cool air moving. You could always leave your number with one of the neighbors to call should power go out. But this has never happened to us.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Isn't there WiFi apps that allow you to check on pooch and the power while you are away from the TT?
This could be an easy one if you set up a wifi camera, or wifi baby monitor...

I may actually have to steal this idea

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

Camera

I did purchase the Arlo Go to have a camera for a remote property. I was thinking of purchasing one for the RV for this exact reason. The battery should last long enough while I am out, and you can set up the camera with a wireless plan that is reasonable. I have a digital clock with a temperature display mounted above the dog bed, and it is large enough for me to read via a camera.
mountainmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

I have a Temp Stick for the RV works with WIFI and a camera I bought from Amazon WI I beleive that also works off WIFI. The Temptick will email me if the RV gets too hot. I can look on my smart phone and see what the dog is up to. I can talk to her also, freaks her out.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
Multi-Slacker

What are the daytime temperature highs during the period in which you will be camping? That answer should enable you to ascertain how high & how fast the temp will get in your TT and, more critically, how long it will take you to return if the power or A/C fails.

In the desert Southwest, during the summer, it would take less than 30 mins to go from comfortable to life threateningly hot. I rather think that oceanside beach temps in Maine are not quite as severe. The time it takes to go from comfortable to dangerously hot gives you your range in terms of time.

Do not forget that, during a power failure event, the CG Wi-Fi will most likely be out as well as power to the TT. Therefore, any solution needs to be battery powered and cellular based. Note also, that these solutions are not failure proof either.

Weigh all that against the fact that your dog will happier with you than not.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #8

open the roof hatches if they have max air covers on them.
we have a D cell operated fan which we use from time to time as well.

A bowel of ice cubes in front of the crate will keep cool air for some time blowing into the crate if need be.

I'm lucky and unlucky at the same time. lucky that my PTSD service dog goes with me everywhere so I only have to be concerned about her doing her businesses before we get to those sort of locations. Unlucky because my military service and exposures to crap means I acquired PTSD.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
We like to take our dog with us camping. We're thinking of going to Old Orchard Beach, ME this summer. If we go to the beach, we'll have to leave our dog in his crate in the TT. We've only ever left him in the TT in the summer if we ran out to get groceries or went to a CG event.

Of course we would have the AC going, but if we're at the beach and the CG loses power, I don't see how we could get back in time before the TT got too hot. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Would you bring your dog with you if you had to leave him in the camper in the summer while you went off site for several hours?

Are there any good solutions to this or basically just leave him at home?

We always google “doggy day care near ______” and make an appointment for our dog for the day. Most places will charge around 25/day. It’s worth the money to avoid the risk.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #10

Case by case .... temp, dog temperment, length of time away. We will leave our 9 yr old lab for 4-5 hours at the time if conditins are right. At times with AC and others with windows open.

Have had neighbors leave with multiple dogs and it sounded like a dog pound from the time they left until they returned.

In kennel box makes it easy.

Case by case....Common sense will prevail.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #11
TGR

I traveled with a pet for many years and found there were many fine people as temporary neighbors. I almost always told a neighboring camper, who was staying around the campground, where I put a spare key. These generous neighbors always agreed to let my dog out of the trailer should an emergency arise. My fear wasn't so much the temperature as it was for a fire or other emergency.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

We bought the "Sensored Life MAR-500A Marcel Cellular Monitoring System" on Amazon for $200

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRMFEAQ

works great and sends us both a text message any time we lose power
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I traveled with a pet for many years and found there were many fine people as temporary neighbors. I almost always told a neighboring camper, who was staying around the campground, where I put a spare key. These generous neighbors always agreed to let my dog out of the trailer should an emergency arise. My fear wasn't so much the temperature as it was for a fire or other emergency.
I like this strategy and always get to know my neighbors as well. Helps with a lot of things.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
Grammar Pedant

Don't leave an unattended pet in your RV. Take your dog with your or find an appropriate dog-sitter. Owning a dog means you may not be able to engage in certain activities. Either forgo those opportunities or find a person who can watch the dog. Please don't transfer your inconvenience onto me.

I get tired of listening to these "dogs that never bark" sit in RVs and bark at every passing person or car.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Don't leave an unattended pet in your RV. Take your dog with your or find an appropriate dog-sitter. Owning a dog means you may not be able to engage in certain activities. Either forgo those opportunities or find a person who can watch the dog. Please don't transfer your inconvenience onto me.

I get tired of listening to these "dogs that never bark" sit in RVs and bark at every passing person or car.
Twice I've had people say after a week or more they did not know I had a dog until seeing him walked.

We leave both AC units going and never crate him. All blinds are down ~ both day and night shades. He will either be in the LR with the tv or in bed when we get home.

I also use Alfred. I can hear what is going on, nothing ever but the tv and see the temp on a thermometer setting on the counter. A free app.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

X2 on the Temp Stick. I use it with my Verizon Mifi. Alerts both the DW and I by email and text. Also includes an app to monitor rise in temperature. Made and monitored in the U.S. no monthly fees.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #17

Do you have a generator? If so you can install a Automatic Generator Start system. The unit I just installed will start the generator to charge low batteries, power failure and has a temp sensor that will start the generator and A/C units if the inside temp exceeds a set level.

We did it because of our German Shepard. Summer time in Florida can cause low voltage issues in some campgrounds. The EMS/Surge protector will shut down power to protect the A/C and electronics and now the AGS will start up the generator to continue keeping the coach and dog cool.

Here is an example: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/au...rt-stand-alone
Old 05-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Twice I've had people say after a week or more they did not know I had a dog until seeing him walked. [...]
I know you did. Nobody's dog barks, ever. Just read all the threads here. Barkless dogs abound.

I think every campground I've ever stayed at (all public) have specific rules that prohibit guests from leaving dogs alone in RVs. Spoiler alert: it's not for the health of the dogs.

I have a dog. I love dogs. I don't mind when dogs wander through our site. But dogs are inconvenient. There are times we forgo museums and other attractions, because we have a dog and those places are not dog-friendly. There are other times when we pay to have someone watch our dog so that we can go to dog-unfriendly places.

Take your dogs with you. If you want to go to a place that doesn't allow dogs, either choose not to go, leave your dogs at your house that trip, or find alternate shelter for your dogs while you recreate at the dog-unfriendly attraction. Please don't visit your inconvenience of dog ownership upon the rest of the public.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Twice I've had people say after a week or more they did not know I had a dog until seeing him walked.

We leave both AC units going and never crate him. All blinds are down ~ both day and night shades. He will either be in the LR with the tv or in bed when we get home.

I also use Alfred. I can hear what is going on, nothing ever but the tv and see the temp on a thermometer setting on the counter. A free app.
Quote:
I know you did. Nobody's dog barks, ever. Just read all the threads here. Barkless dogs abound.

I think every campground I've ever stayed at (all public) have specific rules that prohibit guests from leaving dogs alone in RVs. Spoiler alert: it's not for the health of the dogs.

I have a dog. I love dogs. I don't mind when dogs wander through our site. But dogs are inconvenient. There are times we forgo museums and other attractions, because we have a dog and those places are not dog-friendly. There are other times when we pay to have someone watch our dog so that we can go to dog-unfriendly places.

Take your dogs with you. If you want to go to a place that doesn't allow dogs, either choose not to go, leave your dogs at your house that trip, or find alternate shelter for your dogs while you recreate at the dog-unfriendly attraction. Please don't visit your inconvenience of dog ownership upon the rest of the public.
Appreciate all the judgement, assumptions, and "how to be a pet owner" comments, 67L48. I'm sure you've had some bad experiences with pets, we all have, but tone it down a bit there buddy. Also, you should re-read some of the pet policies as the vast majority of the ones that I've read say to not leave a tethered/crated dog unattended OUTSIDE. There are indeed some that say not to leave pets unattended ever, but that has not been the case where we've gone.

And believe it or not there are dogs that don't bark. As much as you like to think you're the "dog whisperer" and that all dogs bark, that's simply not true.

Sorry you've had some bad experiences, but you probably don't want to start implying some folks here are liars and you know their dog barks when they're gone when you simply have no clue.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
Scoundrel

We recently moved from Colorado to Florida with our elderly dog and were living in our camper while waiting to close on a newly purchased home. Twice we lost power to the camper: once due to a area-wide power outage; once when my EMS cut power to the camper for a bunch of minutes.

I have never left my dog in the camper anyway. But with this experience I would not even consider it.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote Reply