Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Question Leaving dogs in the RV

hi there, I am a newbie to the whole RV thing...2011 is my rookie season and would like some guidance please.

I will be travelling with my two bassets and not really clear what the "rules" are in regards to leaving your dogs in the RV while you're away.

If I am at a campsite - fully hooked up - with AC on (where needed) is it okay to leave your pets in your unit (me - class ""C") while you are away shopping per say ?

Is it fairly common for campsites to have doggie daycare that can look after your dogs if away from your unit ?

Any other feedback / thoughts would be most appreciated.

thanks
Houndmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I leave mine in the camper. I leave him at home for up to 8 hours, but try to limit the time alone in the camper to 4 hours or so.

Maybe limit the time alone over the 1st trip or 2, to get them used to the camper.

If you dogs are barkers, then that is a whole different ball game.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

we leave ours in the camper in a kennel. keeps him from making accidents on the "expensive" carpets. lol
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #4

We leave our Pugs in the RV with the a/c on and Tv set on animal planet.
ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
CampeRooo

Rule of thumb:

If they whine, bark, or cause any kind of attention to be drawn from neighbors and/or campground owners while you're gone, the better the odds that you'll find yourself either getting kicked out of the campground or someone will call animal control/rescue. Each campground is different and some will offer an animal daycare type thing, but most of them don't and in their rules, they will state that the animals will stay under control at all times.

If your animals are well mannered and can be left alone, I don't think it would be a big problem, but if they have any kind of "separation anxiety"...forget it. The attention from the law getting involved is WAAAAY more attention than anyone would want while they're on vacation.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

National Parks are a real problem for dog owners. They do not allow dogs on trails. They have to be in the campground or within 20 feet (or so ) of a roadway. They also do not allow you to leave a dog unattended in your RV; ever.

National Forest Service is much more conducive. Dogs are allowed on trails.

State Parks generally allow dogs on trails but some areas can be restricted.

So, we tend to camp in NSF or State parks as we can generally take our dogs with us; hiking, kiyaking, etc. Then you don't have to worry about annoying everyone; and the dogs love coming along.

Common sense says that you need to know your dogs. We do leave our dogs in the RV occasionally but only if the windows can be safely closed. Our trailer is hardsided so would mask some sound. I would not leave our dogs if they were excitable resulting in barking. Barking dogs are not fair to your camping neighbors whether you are there or not.

Kenneling helps as do dog tranquilizers. Fortunately, we don't need to do either. But we DO check and also check with our neighbors. Nothing ruins camping like loud music and barking dogs IMO.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

All good advise, but one other thing we learn, leave the blinds up otherwise when you get back they will be destroyed if they are not created. We take 4 dogs with us and have no problem. And here they are......Not the red head but his coller has been removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2549.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	4356   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2542.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	4357   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2541.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	4358  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #8

We leave the Idiot Yorkie in the TT when we go sightseeing. When we go hiking we take her with us if we can. She did six miles in Palo Duro Canyon last year, she was one tired puppy. Yorkies can be very barky. On our first camping trip we followed the advice found on one of the RV forums, might have been this one.
We closed all blinds and turned on the radio. Some dogs bark when they see things others bark when they here things. We stayed gone for about 1 hour. When we got back we asked campers around us if they had heard our dog barking, no one heard a thing. We increased the time each time we left her. She has never damaged anything in the TT and no one has said she barks. We have left her in the TT for 14 hours and she has never had an "accident", but all dogs are differant.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

We leave Brit alone, but as mentioned above, we try not to leave her more than a few hours. And yes...blinds up! In our old TT, the blinds were pretty much destroyed. She's gone through a few in the house also. But the day/night shades in the Cat are always up when we're gone, and no problems so far.

Name:	DSC_0181 (Large).jpg
Views:	471
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	4360
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #10

Yes, you do need to know how your pet will react, dogs in most cases hear sound and if the windows are closed do to blinds then all they what to do is look to see if it is you and or see where it is coming from so they will open them themselves. Tv's and radio's/music helps drown out some of the out side sound, but for us leaving the blinds up works for us.

If you go to Pet Smart or a place like that you can buy a devise that will make a high pitch sound every time the dog barks and it makes them stop if you found barking is an issue.

One other thing you can do for your pet if you leave it in the camper, on the door of the camper place some kind of pet indicator on the window so that if there is an emergency some knows there is a pet inside. Remember cats can't bark.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
One other thing you can do for your pet if you leave it in the camper, on the door of the camper place some kind of pet indicator on the window so that if there is an emergency some knows there is a pet inside. Remember cats can't bark.
Wade, that is great idea. My daughter and SIL do that, and I am going to start.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
Rule of thumb:

If they whine, bark, or cause any kind of attention to be drawn from neighbors and/or campground owners while you're gone, the better the odds that you'll find yourself either getting kicked out of the campground or someone will call animal control/rescue. Each campground is different and some will offer an animal daycare type thing, but most of them don't and in their rules, they will state that the animals will stay under control at all times.

If your animals are well mannered and can be left alone, I don't think it would be a big problem, but if they have any kind of "separation anxiety"...forget it. The attention from the law getting involved is WAAAAY more attention than anyone would want while they're on vacation.

Joe
Excellent advice.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Wade, that is great idea. My daughter and SIL do that, and I am going to start.
X2! I never ever thought about that. It is a good idea.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

[QUOTE=acadianbob;80786]National Parks are a real problem for dog owners. They do not allow dogs on trails. They have to be in the campground or within 20 feet (or so ) of a roadway. They also do not allow you to leave a dog unattended in your RV; ever.QUOTE]

We only stay at a National park. Was there working as camp host for the month of November. Never did see anything about NOT allowing dogs on trails. YOU must keep them on leash at all times, trails, campgrounds, etc. May just be in certain parks. But as for Cumberland Gap NHP dogs are allowed. But for goodness sake keep them on the leash! That is a whole different topic.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Dogs on a 6' leash are allowed on most trails in the Shenandoah National Park. I know of only 1 trail that dogs are prohibited, and that is near Big Meadows Campground.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #16

We leave our Lhasa Apso Buddy in a kennel with the radio playing.We try not to be gone longer than 3 hours.The only time he makes any noise is when we get home and he hears us unlock the door.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #17

We leave our two bassets in their kennels in the camper for a couple of hours max. they just nap and are ready to walk when we get back
Luvmycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndmobile View Post
hi there, I am a newbie to the whole RV thing...2011 is my rookie season and would like some guidance please.

I will be travelling with my two bassets and not really clear what the "rules" are in regards to leaving your dogs in the RV while you're away.

If I am at a campsite - fully hooked up - with AC on (where needed) is it okay to leave your pets in your unit (me - class ""C") while you are away shopping per say ?

Is it fairly common for campsites to have doggie daycare that can look after your dogs if away from your unit ?

Any other feedback / thoughts would be most appreciated.

thanks
Hey There,
Well we do..We travel with seven...YEP seven. Like others have stated it comes down to respect to other campers as well as the furkids. Most campers if not all, love the solitude and quiet peacefulness of getting away. We would not travel with out them..We have had no complaints over the years of camping with our dogs and that goes back some 36 years, maybe our sons when they where younger..hehehe

Happy Adventures,
Barney
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dogs at door1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	4591  
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Dogs on a 6' leash are allowed on most trails in the Shenandoah National Park. I know of only 1 trail that dogs are prohibited, and that is near Big Meadows Campground.
Interesting! We've been to Bryce, Yellowstone, Glacier, Zion, etc none of which allow dogs. We've even been presented with a 8 1/2 X 11 typed sheet that was a diatribe specifically about the evils of dogs in the park!! (Bryce) Basicially came down to feces, noise, and risk of biting. So, we go on the trail only to encounter HORSES (that have never been known to bite, kick, or crap). (Bushel basket sized horse dumps on the trail). Then we had a park tour helicopter hovering over us blowing dirt and of course it was also noiseless. So, it seems to come down to whether there is revenue involved for them. Pretty hypocritical IMO.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #20

The only time we leave our English Pointer alone in the trailer is when it's her turn to cook supper and then she is too busy cooking to bark
:-)
18267RBSS is offline   Reply With Quote