Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Limit on number of pets

Just returned from week at campground in pa., a membership campground, and after setting up the manager came up and told us we were in violation of campground rules because he have 3 dogs and rules state only allowed to have 2. First i was completely shocked, he stated it was in the rules we signed when signing up and probably missed it. Well to his surprise i brought out the folder with all my papers signed and not one place did it said pets limited to 2. In fact the camp map that had rules and regulations on it just say pets on leash and not allowed in buildings. So he said since we were knew he would let us keep the 3 this weekend as long as we HID ONE. How absurd, well we didn't want to have a fight for the week and luckily my son was working in pittsburgh and he would watch one for us. So i made the over hour drive to drop off a dog.
Now my dilemma, my wife and I are going fulltime starting next month, and am wondering do we need to get rid of 1 dog? I looked at a bunch of sites and see some say limit 2 pets and some do not. But my member site did not say anything on website either so that is not reliable. We love our dogs they are small, not yappers and together the 3 weigh less than a big dog. Am wondering if others have experienced this and is it something we are going to run into a lot out there. I still think it is a stupid rule, there was a large dog a couple sites away that never shut up and was quite loud, that's OK but I am a problem because I have 3 small quiet dogs???????

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

campgrounds cant pick and choose who can have 1, 2 or 3 dogs. They have to pick a number and stick with it, regardless of the size and noise level of dogs. Some people don't want to camp around a bunch of dogs, just like some don't want to camp around a bunch of kids.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
campgrounds cant pick and choose who can have 1, 2 or 3 dogs. They have to pick a number and stick with it, regardless of the size and noise level of dogs. Some people don't want to camp around a bunch of dogs, just like some don't want to camp around a bunch of kids.
Yes, keep me away from the dogs. My son is allergic and has been to the hospital multiple times due to them at the grandparent's house at holiday times. Nothing personal.

I love dogs myself. Had to give up our Chow Chow.

My advice is to call ahead and get a name of the person you spoke with. That way you have it for backup in case someone tries to give you a hard time. And great job to you for having some quiet ones. I have a neighbor here who has them and they bark as soon as they go outside and won't stop until he lets them back in. And that's sometimes an hour or two later.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I assume you mean for the guy. Are you posting this from prison?
They do make those anti bark things you can buy. My neighbors barks all the time and I just walk out front, hit the button, and viola..quiet dog. it emitts a high pitch noise that only they can hear...and other animals of course.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

When visiting our kids in Las Vegas we stay at the Oasis RV Resort. They have a separate section for pets and no pets. What a great concept. Those who want quiet and no pets stay in the no pet section and those who bring their pets stay in the pet section. Keeps everybody happy.

Near Glacier we stayed next to an old RV with 3 dogs inside who never quit barking and the owner nowhere to be found. I am quite certain that if 1 dog were removed it would it not have much better. We had to another spot.

I guess it depends on the dogs and more importantly the owners.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

Read the animal rules and call ahead if possible.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
When visiting our kids in Las Vegas we stay at the Oasis RV Resort. They have a separate section for pets and no pets. What a great concept. Those who want quiet and no pets stay in the no pet section and those who bring their pets stay in the pet section. Keeps everybody happy.

Near Glacier we stayed next to an old RV with 3 dogs inside who never quit barking and the owner nowhere to be found. I am quite certain that if 1 dog were removed it would it not have much better. We had to another spot.

I guess it depends on the dogs and more importantly the owners.
I like that idea. If I'm ever out that way, I'm looking that place up.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
They do make those anti bark things you can buy. My neighbors barks all the time and I just walk out front, hit the button, and viola..quiet dog. it emitts a high pitch noise that only they can hear...and other animals of course.
I wish those worked on noisy humans...I would use it on my obnoxiously loud neighbors!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

I have seen a lot of private CG with restrictions on breeds, but not to many on how many you can have. That I remember. A lot of times if they are small they let you in even if the limit is 2. I think it was at a KOA the limit was 2 but I know one person had 3 but small lap dogs. It's best to call first and ask. They are all different.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

I too have seen a few cg with a limit on the number if pets. I would call ahead of time and confirm on the pet limit, if any, and be sure to get the name of the person you spoke with.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Where we winter in Davenport, FL (Fawn Ridge) they have a 40# rule on a dog's weight, but no limit on number. I vote for a noise time limit of 5 minutes or owners take camper, dog(s) and leave.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
NELA

DH and I take ONE pet with us...Fred the Wonder Dog. (long story behind that, vet says he's a four legged miracle...still chasing squirrels with total abandon after LSU Vet School gave him 2 days to live, *4.5* years ago.)

He took to camping like he'd been doing it since birth. Heck he's too lazy to bark. DH says he's a 4 legged commercial for valium. His joy of camping is going for walks every 10 minutes. He's always a kid magnet though, and I'm diligent about protecting him from the kids....approach SLOWLY, no more than one child at a time, don't touch his face and never put your face close to his, etc. He loves kids...I'm just very protective and cautious.

I've read threads here, and seen fellow campers, who have 3, 4 or 5 dogs camping with them. Our 5er isn't a huge honker, but it's not small either, and I can't imagine having more than one dog traveling/camping with us, and Fred isn't a big dog. Imagine a standard Doxy with an Irish Setter coat....22 lbs. on the dot every time the vet weighs him.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #13

Oasis rv park, will remember that one. I bought 2 dog pens and put it up on our site for them to roam in. And they are only in it when we are outside, if we go in then they go in, leashes are a pain because they get tangled up and I think it causes barking because the dog feels restrained. You know I al m out wanted to ask if they had a limit on the number of screaming crying brats. Tell that site to get rid of one of the kids then there will be less noise.!, That is an absurd of a statement as 2 dogs will make less noise than 3. So we now are asking a friend if she will adopt one dog. We just got a chihuahua in Nov, a rescue and she is almost a year old now, the other 2 we have had for 4 years and have been together since birth and are also rescues. It kills us to have to give up a pet but I guess I should of really researched fulltime rving and pet regulations more than I did. At least she will be with a friend, have a good home with a woman who recently lost her husband and is looking for a nice small dog. I have an ROD membership and have a feeling the private resorts will need phone calls like some of you have mentioned. What I think is even dumber is that some parks say limit is for all pets, if you have and indoor cat and 2 dogs, to bad you are over limit, HOW NUTS IS THAT!!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #14

Maybe go have a conversation with the manager of the campground or your sales person. Hopefully you can work something out! Talk a lot about not being told what the rule was.

We have two small dogs and I could never give either of them up. I'd be looking for a new campground. (this is just us, not trying to be a jerk).

bruce...
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNMM1VETERAN View Post
Oasis rv park, will remember that one. I bought 2 dog pens and put it up on our site for them to roam in. And they are only in it when we are outside, if we go in then they go in, leashes are a pain because they get tangled up and I think it causes barking because the dog feels restrained. You know I al m out wanted to ask if they had a limit on the number of screaming crying brats. Tell that site to get rid of one of the kids then there will be less noise.!, That is an absurd of a statement as 2 dogs will make less noise than 3. So we now are asking a friend if she will adopt one dog. We just got a chihuahua in Nov, a rescue and she is almost a year old now, the other 2 we have had for 4 years and have been together since birth and are also rescues. It kills us to have to give up a pet but I guess I should of really researched fulltime rving and pet regulations more than I did. At least she will be with a friend, have a good home with a woman who recently lost her husband and is looking for a nice small dog. I have an ROD membership and have a feeling the private resorts will need phone calls like some of you have mentioned. What I think is even dumber is that some parks say limit is for all pets, if you have and indoor cat and 2 dogs, to bad you are over limit, HOW NUTS IS THAT!!

Surely if you were military then you know the rules are the rules. Complaining about the rules isn't going to change them. At least not for the current camping year. Put something in their suggestion box or talk to the campground manager with a suggestion/feedback and maybe something could change for next year...you never know.

Look, I have kids and they would love to bring their friends, but many campsites have a maximum of 6 people per site and my family currently has 5. So I have to respect that and either take one friend one trip and another friend another, or simply just don't take any friends. There is no option to take them both at the same time if the campground has a max of 6 people. I'm not going to get upset about it (although, like in your case, it is inconvenient that I can't have just one more...) but that's their rules and when I visit their campground I have to abide by them. Or I can look for campgrounds with a higher max people per site.

At any rate, I hope you have plenty of luck finding the campsite you need. GO STEELERS!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #16

Dogs and camping go hand in hand. Most of the folks I see at camp ground have at least one dog and some are great some not so much just like people. Our need some work but are just puppies. We have a trainer coming to help us work on manors. The will be better but for now people around us are great and help us with them. They are small dogs and bark a little.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #17

I have a confession. I dont tell anyone about my pets unless they ask then i dont tell them about the cat, he doesnt even go out!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Hello folks,

Can we keep the shooting banter out of this thread.
Thanks

ADDENDUM by wmtire: It was felt that the joking references towards harming fellow campers pets, could have the potential to be taken out of context in which they were meant.

The site team decided, for the sake of forum harmony, to go ahead and edit/delete the jokes out of this particular thread.

It's all good.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #19

Yes I understand rules are rules which is why I drove an hour back towards home the next day to drop off a dog with my son instead of hiding her. And I do think that sometimes complaining and constructive discussion can make changes. Do I think it will ever change NO, which is why we are giving one of our dogs to a friend. But I do think campgrounds should should clearly state all pet rules on websites to avoid confusion or awkward situations when arriving. If the rules and regulations I was given stated a two dog limit I would never of adopted the third dog, and it took some digging to find others that clearly listed a limit on pets. And when full timing I am sure there will be times when making a call may not be available so you go off info on website. I guess my big thing is, what is the differance between 2 dogs or 3 dogs, one dog can cause as many problems as multiple dogs if the owners are not good owners. Even though it is an unanswerable question I would love to know how they came up with the number 2 as the limit instead of 1,3 or maybe 4. Someone before posted a suggestion I really like which is paying a fee for every pet over the limit, something realistic like $5 for every pet over limit. I would have no problem paying that fee, they do it for additional guests, so why not with pets?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #20

Personally I don't care how many dogs you have camping with you as long as you clean up after them and they behave

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote