Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Looking for a quality breeder of Golden Retrievers

Sadly we recently lost our 11 year old Golden to old age. He had been slowing down and we knew the end was coming. We took him on one last grouse hunt but mostly he just rode around in the bed of the side by side due to his condition. That night he was troubled and somehow my wife and I knew the end was coming. Independent of each other and without any communication between us, at separate times we laid down on the floor giving our dog comfort throughout the night. My wife was last with Massey at 3:30 and at that time his breathing changed from labored to even and peaceful. When I got up at 5:00 he had passed. We had made the decision to take him for euthanasia the next day and being the loyal dog he was he saved all three of us the agony of that. Instead Massey crossed the bridge on his own. Wow, it’s been nearly three weeks and I’m tearing up as I type this.

Anyway, we are looking for a new puppy and my wife is getting a little bit frustrated. She has sent out two inquiries to breeders and has not had a response from either one. One in Western Washington ST and one in Central Montana.

If anybody can recommend a quality breeder for us to contact we would appreciate it. Western US location would be preferred but we will consider any location, particularly if it’s after the winter season. What a great RV trip, head out somewhere, camp along the way and pick up a new puppy. Then introduce the new puppy to the RV life.

Thank you all,

Mike and Erin
Old 11-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #2

Sorry for your loss. Massey might have crossed that bridge but the countless fond memories of him will live in your heart and mind forever.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Very sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our Vincent last July. Very painful. We got our Beau from Rooster Valley Goldens in Modesto, CA. He is a retired “sire”:

https://www.roostervalleygoldens.com/

They have an interesting business model - you can read about it on the website.

Jim

p.s. - if you go to “more info” “retired dogs” on their website, you can scan down to see Beau...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #4

Here's a map showing Golden Retriever breeders in WA

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS862US862&q=Golden+Retriever +puppies+for+sale+in+WA+State&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rldo c=1&rlha=0&rllag=48272169,-120740774,118491&tbm=lcl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvrfvl3Oz sAhURFjQIHUGbAhIQjGp6BAgTEE8&biw=1536&bih=722#rlfi =hd:;si:;mv:[[49.0483009,-116.88510790000001],[45.4415663,-123.05123250000001]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1! 2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

Very sorry for your loss, we too have a Golden that is getting on in years. We have been looking for another Golden now for about a year and we have had zero luck unless $3K is a price you can live with. As much as I dearly love my Golden I'm not going to spend 3K on a puppy. The word is the Covid home working/school way of life has now opened the door for unprecedented puppy demand since now mom/dad is home all day, every day to look after and potty train the new member of the family while giving the kids something to do also. Well this demand has sent the price of Golden's and other breeds into the stratosphere and availability is like trying to find furniture and major appliances now. We hope the demand subsides over the next 12 months or so and prices and availability of Golden's become reasonable again. In the mean time we just wait like everybody else.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Sadly we recently lost our 11 year old Golden to old age. He had been slowing down and we knew the end was coming. We took him on one last grouse hunt but mostly he just rode around in the bed of the side by side due to his condition. That night he was troubled and somehow my wife and I knew the end was coming. Independent of each other and without any communication between us, at separate times we laid down on the floor giving our dog comfort throughout the night. My wife was last with Massey at 3:30 and at that time his breathing changed from labored to even and peaceful. When I got up at 5:00 he had passed. We had made the decision to take him for euthanasia the next day and being the loyal dog he was he saved all three of us the agony of that. Instead Massey crossed the bridge on his own. Wow, it’s been nearly three weeks and I’m tearing up as I type this.

Anyway, we are looking for a new puppy and my wife is getting a little bit frustrated. She has sent out two inquiries to breeders and has not had a response from either one. One in Western Washington ST and one in Central Montana.

If anybody can recommend a quality breeder for us to contact we would appreciate it. Western US location would be preferred but we will consider any location, particularly if it’s after the winter season. What a great RV trip, head out somewhere, camp along the way and pick up a new puppy. Then introduce the new puppy to the RV life.

Thank you all,

Mike and Erin

We have a very loving golden doodle that’s 5 years old; we got her at 8 weeks from Abby Acres near Dixon Ca. Mother and Father are both F1’s. Best dog we’ve had.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
We have a very loving golden doodle that’s 5 years old; we got her at 8 weeks from Abby Acres near Dixon Ca. Mother and Father are both F1’s. Best dog we’ve had.
I'd love a Goldendoodle. Checked prices for puppies today and they're running from $6500 to $8500.

Insane.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Brake is on left

I'm on the opposite side of the country, but I have a old friend that is a Yellow breeder. Great looking pups and a really great guy. If you feel like cross country road tripping let me know! There is a full hook up campground nearby and close to Manassas National Battlefield for history buffs
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #9

Long ways to go, but here's a page with LOTS of pictures for sale/sold....you can almost smell the puppy breath: https://www.greenfieldpuppies.com/go...pies-for-sale/

Go to 'Show Me The Puppies'.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #10

Arkgold.com in Russellville, AR. We’ve had one of Marissa’s pups for 4 years, and our Maisy is one of the sweetest pups ever.
Tomjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #11

So sorry to hear that. We also lost a beloved dog of 13 years a few years ago and he did the same thing. We had vet appointment scheduled for a Wednesday. He passed Tuesday night. After three years, we finally got another dog. I started by using the website gooddog.com. It lets you search by breed and location. Breeders have to meet certain standards to be on the site. Best of luck in your search.
jbmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #12

Don't mess around. Go on the AKC web site and they will give you a reliable breeder.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #13

Looking for a puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
I'm on the opposite side of the country, but I have a old friend that is a Yellow breeder. Great looking pups and a really great guy. If you feel like cross country road tripping let me know! There is a full hook up campground nearby and close to Manassas National Battlefield for history buffs
I would like to know about your friend near Manassas Natl Battlefield...I am near Charlottesville VA
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #14

Thank you all for both your recommendations and for the condolences. My wife found a breeder she likes in Utah and has sent a deposit for a pup. They expect litters in the spring of 2021 which works out perfectly for us. I’m seeing a couple days from Eastern Washington state to the Salt Lake area, a couple of days in the Salt Lake area and then a couple of days back home. Sounds like a great trip for the trailer unless we get some late snow in the passes.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #15
BMullins46

Sorry for your loss, it's like losing a family member. That said I wonder about the looking for a breeder for a puppy, over the years we have found that there are many wonderful dogs available at your local shelters. Many of those dogs are pure bred animals that are no longer with their human family for whatever reason. You can search for a Golden Retriever rescue and probably find a wonderful dog. We got our full blooded Collie from such an organization. Too many of these "breeders" are really puppy mills.
Good luck on you search for a new companion.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #16

It's been a long journey . . .

. . . but one filled with love and laughter. It began back in the '90s when the children were gone and the house was too quiet. And so we welcomed Duke into our lives. He shared his life with us for the next thirteen wonderful years. A herniated disc in his spine forced us to say good-bye for now.

Next came Quigley and Tikka, littermates, and if one Golden is the best then two is bester. Quigley my gentle soul and Tikka my fun girl. Tikka left us one morning falling to a brain aneurysm (the Vet thinks) at the age of nine and Quigley a year and a half later because of hips that just wouldn't hold him up anymore. Until then you guys, see you there.

Following that we decided we couldn't do that anymore and gave away everything. Then about a year later we caught one another searching the rescue sites and came clean. We needed another buddy. Then the next day the most wonderful thing happened, Kodi appeared on the rescue site and instantly he had to be ours. He was a mature dog, his owner had passed away with no family to accept him. And for four more fantastic years we loved the most well trained dog we've ever known. What a gentleman, see you.

That brings us to today and Montelius (Monte) after the Tom Selleck movie Monte Walsh. When we found we weren't prepared to spend the money being asked for another Golden we started searching the rescue sites and a site we have here called Kijiji. Once again fortune smiled on us and only a day or two later we spotted this pup. Wow, talk about regional differences, $800 and he was ours. That was a short sweet year ago, November 8th to be exact. What a ride, he's wild, he's crazy, he's so loving, we're his.

Don't give up your search. The best way to honor your friend is to give your heart to another one. All the best.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duke.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	242602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quigley.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	242603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tikka.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	242604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monte.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	242607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodi.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	242610  

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #17

I don't breed dogs but have been active in the cat fancy for many years and have friends and family that do breed dogs, but unfortunately, not goldens. You have probably not heard back for two reasons 1) it isn't puppy/kittens season 2) most responsible breeders have a waiting list. I do have a link for you which is always a good place to start. The breed club for golden breeders. It will also give you information regarding dog shows in your area as well which may be a good opportunity to meet and talk with breeders when they are not tied up with ring calls and if you find one you like, see about getting on their waiting list. https://grca.org/ Good luck with your search for your new golden and may time help heal the dog sized hole in your hearts.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #18

I have a 13 yr. old Golden named Rusty. Along with my two other Labs that as a single traveler, they are my family and great traveling companions that never complain and always happy to do whatever and wherever I want to go. Rusty (Jr.) came to me from Petfinders.com; the largest rescue site in the USA with most shelters & rescue including specific breed groups linked to it. I had lost my beloved Golden “Rusty (Sr.) to cancer six months earlier and as heartwrenching as it was, I really missed not having a Golden. On Petfinders.com I spotted Rusty, a one year old Golden with the same name and reddish coat. I felt like he was the reincarnation of my beloved Rusty, only young and healthy. Rusty ( nickname “Loverboy”), has been a wonderful dog but I know our time together is very limited now.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgelsie View Post
I would like to know about your friend near Manassas Natl Battlefield...I am near Charlottesville VA
Hi!
He has been breeding for a while. They (to my untrained eye) are solid pups. I'm not sure if he has a website or FB page for them but I'll ask!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83606180_3306998862686426_653751328872701451_n.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	242643  
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #20

Goldens

I know this is not the response you were asking for but having been involved with Goldens for 20 years, I thought I would offer a suggestion. I helped to found Emerald Coast Golden Retrievers on the Fla. panhandle in 2001. When active, we placed an endless parade of pups, adults, seniors......some with issues, some perfectly healthy and well adjusted. I personally adopted 4 over the years and have enjoyed the "golden experience" with every one. Two became certified Therapy dogs, all passed Canine Good Citizenship trials and two have lived without major medical issues to 14.
If you know Goldens, you know the traits to look for in a healthy, happy dog. Don't overlook the possibility of a rescue. Speaking from experience, as we placed over 300 dogs while I was active, we saw sick and troubled dogs true...but we also placed perfectly well adjusted, healthy goldens from as young as 3 months, that, through no fault of their own, lost their original owners. The only thing most lacked was a piece or paper issued by the AKC, which in todays world, sadly, is seldom a guarantee.
2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5 EB
Karbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality