Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #1

midium size old dogs

We have an older Lab who has difficulity getting in and out of our coach. We have a short 6 foot ramp that goes to the first step of the coach it's too steep for her to get in or out. Any suggestions??

Cookie monster
Dick Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
(Kim)

It's sad when they get old. I feel for you as I had a Lab who ended up with bad arthritis, and could not walk up stairs.

Have you tried any arthritis meds for her?

Sometimes also, short walks can help loosen things up a bit, (depending on the severity) and enable her to do a little more. Is she able to walk very far?
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Cook View Post
We have an older Lab who has difficulity getting in and out of our coach. We have a short 6 foot ramp that goes to the first step of the coach it's too steep for her to get in or out. Any suggestions??

Cookie monster
I know this is old post but friend has a home made ramp I would call it for his dog to get into his chevy diesel and works great. This is to get old english sheep dog into the truck not the floor of the truck but the rear seat. I will take a pic next time I see him
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #4

Senior Dog

We use the ramp trick, too. Ours is also about 6', and our 12 year old black lab uses it to get in and out of our F250, too. To reduce the angle, I attached two 4"X4" blocks to the bottom end, and the top of the ramp has about a two inch step-up into the trailer with this set-up, once in place. We went to a carpet store and bought the larger carpet samples they retire, for a buck each. We used the 1' X 2' size, and 3 of these end to end is perfect. Cleans his feet a bit entering the trailer, too! For the ramp itself, I used 1/2" exterior grade plywood, 28" wide. On the underside of the ramp, I attached two 2X2's full length, to take the spring out of the board.

I've never weighed the ramp but guess it's around 15 pounds, at the most, and he loves it. We have one at home that's mounted to our back deck, and he uses it every time.
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

My Golden was 14 when she died, and for more than a year before that, she needed help on stairs (in the house, and outdoors). Without spending any money, you can just use a bath towel, sling it under the belly near the rear legs, and as the dog walks up the steps, gently assist the hind quarters by lifting on the towel. I was also able to purchase a nylon/fleece 'sling' made for this purpose, with handles for about $15, washable, and would hang it at the bottom of the steps going out, and at the top of the steps after coming in. That sling was passed around to other aging dogs in the past 3 years, so was an excellent investment. I also used it to help her get in and out of the truck.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #6

Sugarph, you beat me to it. +1 on the doggie hindquarters sling, either purchased or homemade (although the purchased ones will snug up to your fur kid better and be more secure.). Our lab was 14, he developed cancer in one back leg and had to become a tripawd for the last few months of his life, and it was a lot of sling-assists at first for him to get up our entry steps. They work well. If you can't find them, check tripawds.com, there's a lot of help, ideas, and experience over there for older, injured, and infirmed dogs.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote