Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
My fur butts

I don't think I ever introduced my fur butts on this forum, so here they are.

Two Japanese Akita's. Kayla (black and white) is my 4 year old female runt at only 60 lbs. Diesel (brown and white) is my 2 year old beast at 148 lbs. and counting....

Had to buy a 3rd vehicle to transport them everyweekend...lol oh and a "larger" trailer as well...lol

SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #2

and here's where they camp....

Old 11-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #3

We had an Akita about 20 years ago, his name was Kita a Fawn in color. They are very strong and I think there jaw pressure is rated @ 1500 pounds per sq inch and Pitbull is at 1800 pounds per sq inch. Akitas make nice watch dogs. But now we have moved on to Greyhounds.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
We had an Akita about 20 years ago, his name was Kita a Fawn in color. They are very strong and I think there jaw pressure is rated @ 1500 pounds per sq inch and Pitbull is at 1800 pounds per sq inch. Akitas make nice watch dogs. But now we have moved on to Greyhounds.
Yep, I love them. Grew up around them and wouldn't have it any other way. My female is a good watch dog...she barks if she sees something strange. My male doesn't bark and he would probably help thieves carry the items out....lol
Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #5

SSPORT, I believe that the Akita is known as a Japanese Shepherd. One thing I had noticed with our Akita is that when he was alerted by a stranger and would bark his body would produce and Oder at the same time, have you noticed it with your Akitas?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

No, I have not noticed any odor from any of the akitas I have owned. Strange, I have never heard of that. I've also never heard of them called Japanese shepards although it is very plausible.

Akitas can be very nasty if trained wrongly......when I get them as pups it's all about socializing.....They are fine with other animals and even small children. I have talked to a lot of akita owners who said that was never the case with theirs.........sad.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport View Post
No, I have not noticed any odor from any of the akitas I have owned. Strange, I have never heard of that. I've also never heard of them called Japanese shepards although it is very plausible.

Akitas can be very nasty if trained wrongly......when I get them as pups it's all about socializing.....They are fine with other animals and even small children. I have talked to a lot of akita owners who said that was never the case with theirs.........sad.
The term" Japanese Shepard " was in the hand book that we had bought when we got Kita, also in the book it mentioned the odor that they can produce, not saying all do but it is normal and ours did. The book also said that some where trained to hunt and take down black bear. In the book it showed two large Akitas taking down a black bear. One other thing that remember in the book is that the Police Department where going to use Akitas like they do German Shepards for law enforcement, but the problem the Police had with Akitas is that they are very loyal to there handlers and would only protect them and not carry out additional training techniques as the German Shepard would. Yes Akitas can be nasty if they are not socialized.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #8

Yep, I've always known of the breeding for bear hunting as well as pit fighting in rare occasions. I wanted to show my male or atleast get him "qualified" as breed standard but just didn't have the time or money....maybe that's something I'll do when I retire in 44 years
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
My exwife had an Akita and it bit me. Hence the "ex" part. But all in all it was a good dog, just shed to much for me. She "the dog" was a really fast learner.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
My exwife had an Akita and it bit me. Hence the "ex" part. But all in all it was a good dog, just shed to much for me. She "the dog" was a really fast learner.
yep, they definitely can have a nasty streak in them. I love my dogs but if they ever attack someone, I have no choice but to put them down. With their size, they could easily kill a small child and I would never take that chance.

As for the shedding...lol I call it "blowing coat" It happens twice a year and last about 2 months each time. The tumbleweeds are constantly blowing across my floor....lol
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #11

SSport, on Animal Planet last night 11-30-08 they had a special on Akitas called dogs 101. I hope this was a show you where able to watch. It was very informative and indepth about the breed. Did you know that the Akita is in the same category as the Pitbull and the Rockwilder as far as homeowners insurance go's, they carry a high price because they are undesirable household pets due to there nature.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #12

Oh man....everytime that show is on I hit the info button to see which breeds they are doing...I missed the Akita one.

Anyway, yes I had a VERY hard time getting homeowners insurance and my husband worked for the agent at the time. I pay a lot more because of it as well, but it's better than lying and god forbid them biting someone one day....I just couldn't take that chance.

Thanks for the heads up about the show, hopefully it will be on again and I can catch it.