Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #41

Thinking about you Titanmike. Nothing is easy about saying goodbye.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #42
Scoundrel

Very sorry for the loss of Sami...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #43
waybeck2018

TitanMike, the wife and I feel so bad for you. Losing a loving little fur baby is never easy. Our thoughts are with you in your time of sorrow.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPutzin View Post
I agree, you will know when it is time. And may I suggest you have the vet come to your house - it is so worth it to be in your own place during this sad time.
Itotally agree with you about the vet coming to the house. We've done that for a couple of ours and it's less stressful for all involved.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #45
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

So sorry for your loss Titanmike... As you can see by the many replies, I (and many others here) FEEL your pain. Most of us have been there before, and ALL of us will most certainly be there again (until they find a way to make dogs live longer than people). As someone else said, it NEVER gets easier... Rest assured my friend, Sami is at peace now and will be waiting for you there in heaven at the foot of The Rainbow Bridge.

PS - Having just gone thru this myself last year, please take some advice - Don't stay alone too long... For certain, you'll need some time to grieve (for me, it took 10 months), but another dog can (and should) come into your life. While no other animal can truly "replace" Sami in your heart, there most certainly IS another out there just waiting for someone like you to give him/her a happy LOVING home and help fill the void in your life! It took me awhile to realize I wanted (and NEEDED) another four-legged companion in my life, but in hindsight I probably waited longer than I should have (perhaps out of guilt)? The time between animals will vary for each of us, but don't wait too long. Life is short - and even shorter for dogs... You'll know when the time is right. Best wishes, my friend.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sorry for your loss Mike.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #47

So very sorry for your loss Mike.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #48

Mike, like many others here I am very sorry for your loss. For what it’s worth, I believe that another dog should “ find you”. The dog that you just put down wouldn’t want to see you unhappy. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Mike, like many others here I am very sorry for your loss. For what it’s worth, I believe that another dog should “ find you”. The dog that you just put down wouldn’t want to see you unhappy. Jay
That's kind of what happened when I found my wife of over 30 years (before she passed away). We kind of just found each other with neither of us looking for a spouse (both of us were divorced).

Who knows, maybe another lady will find me and she'll have a dog

We'll see how life goes but I'll keep camping on regardless.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #50

They tell you.... when they stop eating and drinking. Pets are stronger then you think.

Our 20yo cat had massive heart attack, died in our arms... sad day.

A few others had medical issues and once the pain or issues become too much you just know.

To me it sounds like your not there.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #51

I'm having trouble reading these posts because I have to keep wiping tears from my eyes. Please accept my sympathy, TitanMike. It hurts so badly to lose a fur-baby - especially when you have to make "the" decision. My cockapoo, Molly, is 16 (she'll be 17 in June), and I've had her for over 14 years. I was lucky enough to spot her on Petfinder.com just a few months after having to put down my previous dog. She has been my best friend, my baby, and my camping buddy for a long time. She doesn't see or hear well anymore, but she still enjoys being in the camper & she can still hear me open a treat bag from the next room. I don't know how much longer she'll be with me, but I'll do my best to make sure she's happy. Best wishes to your future travels. Hope you find a new companion (2-legged or 4 legged) to share your adventures.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #52
1st time RV'r !!

It is always day when our fur babies have to leave us.

Talk to your vet about his medical condition. Are they in pain from even doing the simple things in life (walk, eat, play, sleep)? Do they cry out when even moving a little? That would be my criteria.

Also decide now where you want their remains placed and open your heart to another when this one is gone.
JoeGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #53

Hi,
This is a tough thread to read through.

I've had miniature schnauzers my whole life. I have had to put down three of them so far. These pure bread schnauzers never live past 10 years.
My current one is about 9 years old. He was doing great until this year.
The pain a dog feels is not always noticeable to us. My vet says ANY sign of discomfort and the dog is in extreme pain. Not a little pain.
Ask your vet how they feel about his/her quality of life.
Then make the decision thats right for you.
Best of luck!
Nights Camped 2016- 15, 2017- 30,2018-27, 2019-36 2020-21
ace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #54

Had to put my special friend down last year. We knew it was time and instead of putting him through the stress of going to the vet, we had the vet. Come to our home. It was very peaceful for the dog and me as he slowly went to sleep while I was holding him.
spikley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #55

Titanmike,
Very sorry for your loss we know all to well how hard it is to lose a furry friend we had to put our max down a few month ago. He is brown Sheppard lab he loved riding on the golf cart. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_140927.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	197617
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #56

Nothing insightful to add beyond what others have offered. Just enjoy whatever time remains. When the time comes just remember you'll always have the fond memories.
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #57

Hard Decision

I was a veterinary assistant for many years, I hope every person here who had to put their beloved pet down, went out and rescued another pup. It is difficult, and a new pup can never replace the memories and love you shared with your pet. I will tell you, it does help the pain of the loss. There are so many thousands of unwanted dogs being put down everyday who need a home desperately. Please consider a rescue, Thank you
Terri H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Back in 2004 a brand new Shih Tsu pup came to life with my wife and I. Unlike our previous pets this one became very special to both of us. Went everywhere we went. In 2016 my wife passed away and the Pup was an even closer companion.

Today he is totally blind, totally deaf, and only finds his way around the house by smell. Is starting to sleep more often and for longer periods of time. Other than getting lost or afraid to go up/down stairs he seems to be doing what pets do. Eat, go potty, show up for treats, and follow me around wherever I go. He used to like his daily walks up to the mailbox to get mail, stopping and reading/answering his "pee-mail" along the way. Last trip he stopped after a couple hundred feet and I ended up carrying him the rest of the way.

The question for those who have had to deal with the end of their loved pet's life, "How do you know it's time?"

Do I just wait until he goes to sleep one night and doesn't wake up? Or is there a point where the pet is suffering more than they let on and needs to be put to sleep?

It's been almost 20 years since my last pet just died on it's own but this one is kind of special. Am very interested in anything that others have to say on this.
I think it's a personal decision that only you can make. I held on to one of my little dogs while she had started to have seizures at almost 15 years old. Thankfully, that only went on for a week, and then she died at home. The vet was not helpful in telling me if my dog was dying or not, and I just couldn't tell. I wished sometimes we had put her down as soon as she started to have seizures. I put another one down at 18 years of age when she could no longer take herself to the potty. We put her down that very day. She had had cancer and I wish now I had put her down a little sooner too because I may have held on to her a little too long. It's excruciating for me to do that. They are like our children, and we had a hard time letting go. When your dog's quality of life is no longer there, I think you will know. If they can walk, eat, drink, use the bathroom outside, and follow you around, and aren't in a lot of pain, I think it's okay to hang on to them. But it's never easy, and it never gets easier in my opinion. I pray you'll know the right timing for you and your dog.
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #59

So many great replies to your beloved fur baby... With our Shih Tsu, Abe had issues with lymph glands swelling. After vet provided meds, seemed better, then his water and food intake nose-dived, a few sips of water, hand fed from specialty foods (dog food no longer even sniffed) dropped from a few nibbles several times a day, to once a day... maybe. . .
. . . Needless to say, we loved him more each day he was with us... Then rapid loss of weight and more sleeping than previous weeks... Finally, his eyes told us he was suffering with the loss of weight, hunger, thirst, and most of all, the quality of life left him...
. . . With heavy heart, lots of tears, family and grandchildren bid him farewell the night before we put him to sleep...
. . . We had him cremated and carry some of his ashes in two canisters that we carry with us as he was always with us wherever we went from the time he was 8 weeks old, one canister in the car and our truck, hanging from our back-window mirror.... the remaining ashes are in a urn that we have in our home.
. . . MOST important for US, he was with us 2 weeks short of his 14yr birthday, we got a new fur baby that we just so happened to have her home on his birth-date... She is our gift from him... She fills us with love, is as indispensable as he was. Abe is not forgotten and will never be replaced with our Libby.... Abe was born on 9-11 (he had to have a patriotic name), and she was born on 7-4, so her name is Liberty!... She is a Shichon (Shih-tsu/Bichon Frise cross) If you are up to life with another pet, please get another pet as they help fill the hole our precious fur baby held in our hearts.
. . . Peace be with you, God is great to help heal our hearts.
Alherbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #60

I deal with this quite often sorry to say. I cant stand the thought of putting one to sleep though I know its practical . These special friends will tell you if the need your help. Ive had them come to me and sit for attention then go behind a chair and just quit . ive had others come to me and say its ok but I need your help. Ive always done this myself . Nothing quicker then a 22 in the ear and absolutely no suffering . Its something that I require myself to do as ive enjoyed their company for so long ad it is part of the cycle . I do keep up with medical treatments if they extend quality living . This is one of the things about life that make giving your love to others very difficult yet we still do it. Good luck sir I'm with you!
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply With Quote