Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

New puppy

My wife and I took the plunge and are getting a puppy in June. We have traveled with a dog before, but he was 11 when we got our MH and passed a couple years later. We have a 28-foot Class C Sunkeeker. Any advice for traveling with a puppy for the summer? Do's and Dont's would be appreciated. She's an Australian Shepherd/Poodle Mix. Will grow to about 35-40 pounds.
jbmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #2

Congratulations, You've have a dog before, The sheperd part is going to have some energy to burn,Patience will help, Like having a child . We love having our dog along,Anytime I can take her places we do,You will find a lot of dog friendly places and some not so friendly, Same with people. Good luck ,Send pictures. Stay Safe
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #3

Just typical puppy stuff but then again, there are a lot of people that don't have the knowledge or don't make the effort.

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you are going to want them to do, do as soon as you get the puppy.

Clip their nails.
Brush and bath them regularly.
Wipe her paws with towels when she comes into the camper so she knows thats a thing we do sometimes when it's muddy outside.
Feed them and take their food away or put your hand in their dish and make them stop mid meal.
Take them with you in the vehicle every chance you get. Have them lay still, not roaming all over.
Get them around other animals (cats/dogs/horses/people) and experiences (Creeks/lakes, Walking bridges, sewer grates, Boats, traffic, etc. as OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!

Anything you can expose them to repeatedly when they are young imprints on them as a normal event, part of their environment. Teaching them to do things as you want them to right off the bat will save you from struggling with a larger dog when they get older that has never done what your wanting it to do.

What you teach them as a puppy will become life long lessons. My Lab was a rescue and I got her while I was home recovering from a neck surgery. Figured it would be a good time to be able to spend 3 weeks with her and get her off on the right track. She would sit in the recliner with me with her head on my right shoulder. She's 10 now and to this day, when she comes up to me for attention, she puts her head on my right shoulder so I can scratch or rub her back like I did when she was a puppy.

Good luck with your new family member and may she bring you as much Joy and Love as my "Biscuit" has me!

Puppy Biscuit
[IMG]
Click For Full-Size Image.[/IMG]

Adult Biscuit with Lucy (our 3 year old Jack Russel-Chihuahua mix, also a rescue).

[IMG]

Happy Camping!
Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #4

Australian Shepherd/ Poodle mix? Oh my.
You're going to have a super smart, high energy herding dog.
My advice would be crate training so that the dog considers it 'home' and a safe place while at home and on the road.
Then start training the dog as soon as possible. Get a good dog training book and train daily. Make it fun with lots of pets rather than food. Do as much 'socialization' as you can so that puppy is not scared of your camping neighbors.
Then pack a pocket of patience and
Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. Anyone have suggestions for placing her kennel?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #6

We just got a new “ travel” dog a few months ago. We treat her like we have all our other dogs. The one exception we put her in the car for trips more frequently than we did the others and we go out of our way to socialize her. As for the kennel we use a collapsible one and place it in the daughters bunk room. No kennel for when riding in the truck. She is half huskie ( dad has papers) mom was part Australian shepherdClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	229921 and part lab or pit.
.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	229920
Old 05-26-2020, 04:42 AM   #7

Moose, Great looking pup , We also have a Husky mix , what great dogs , She also loves taking over the bed and couch , Another thing worth carrying is a good cordless vacuum.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #8

When you are traveling in your RV does your dog ride in the kennel or is she out? Our old dog rode in the passenger seat but he was 11 when we got our first rig.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Congratulations on the new puppy.
Our chorkie is 12 years old and has to go with us no matter where b/c of her separation anxiety. I built a folding stand for her kennel to elevate it high enough so she can look through the truck windows. Also, a 12 Volt fan on an open window for good airflow and a thermometer helps when you leave her in the vehicle. I highly recommend a kennel for the dog's and the owner's safety while travelling.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Just typical puppy stuff but then again, there are a lot of people that don't have the knowledge or don't make the effort.

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you are going to want them to do, do as soon as you get the puppy.

Clip their nails.
Brush and bath them regularly.
Wipe her paws with towels when she comes into the camper so she knows thats a thing we do sometimes when it's muddy outside.
Feed them and take their food away or put your hand in their dish and make them stop mid meal.
Take them with you in the vehicle every chance you get. Have them lay still, not roaming all over.
Get them around other animals (cats/dogs/horses/people) and experiences (Creeks/lakes, Walking bridges, sewer grates, Boats, traffic, etc. as OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!

Anything you can expose them to repeatedly when they are young imprints on them as a normal event, part of their environment. Teaching them to do things as you want them to right off the bat will save you from struggling with a larger dog when they get older that has never done what your wanting it to do.

What you teach them as a puppy will become life long lessons. My Lab was a rescue and I got her while I was home recovering from a neck surgery. Figured it would be a good time to be able to spend 3 weeks with her and get her off on the right track. She would sit in the recliner with me with her head on my right shoulder. She's 10 now and to this day, when she comes up to me for attention, she puts her head on my right shoulder so I can scratch or rub her back like I did when she was a puppy.

Good luck with your new family member and may she bring you as much Joy and Love as my "Biscuit" has me!

Puppy Biscuit
[IMG]

Adult Biscuit with Lucy (our 3 year old Jack Russel-Chihuahua mix, also a rescue).

[IMG]

Happy Camping!

Great advice!

I disagree with one thing. Dogs do not naturally need a bath. Ask your Vet. Unless of course they get into something nasty. Daily brushing is best. We have a 4 1/2 year old female Rottie 85 lbs and she has never been bathed. Not once. And has no odor except for the occasional SBD. All my previous dogs have never been bathed.

Your mileage may vary.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Great advice!

I disagree with one thing. Dogs do not naturally need a bath. Ask your Vet. Unless of course they get into something nasty. Daily brushing is best. We have a 4 1/2 year old female Rottie 85 lbs and she has never been bathed. Not once. And has no odor except for the occasional SBD. All my previous dogs have never been bathed.

Your mileage may vary.

Totally agree on the baths. My 6 year old dachshund has only had two baths when he "self perfumed" on who knows what it was. What a smell ! Bath had to happen. Other than that no odors and very little shedding. Constant rubbing and petting has him shining like a new copper penny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Head close up.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	229981  

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #12

If possible I would driveway camp and spend time in the RV with the new puppy. Short trips at first if possible.

By the way congrats on the puppy.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Great advice!

And has no odor except for the occasional SBD.
Why does everyone always blame the dog?
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #14
Multi-Slacker

You can also take the pup to Petsmart, Petco, and Home Depot that I know of, More socialization and new experiences. But do understand that some dogs are homebodies. We had a 110 lb GSD who was a total wuss - did not want to leave his yard.

In general, the more you can expose it to, the better. One trick you can use with a puppy is to put their off down and then hang on to them while repeating whatever command you want to teach - wait, stay, etc. When it stops struggling, let it go. Won't work at 1st, but in a few days or less, it will know what you want and do it so it can eat.

Feeding time is the highlight of their day, sp use it to your advantage. Training is easier if your pup has a strong food motivation. Do not hesitate to get help if you feel in over your head. It will be better for you and the pup.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #15

“ I disagree with one thing. Dogs do not naturally need a bath. Ask your Vet. Unless of course they get into something nasty. Daily brushing is best. We have a 4 1/2 year old female Rottie 85 lbs and she has never been bathed. Not once. And has no odor except for the occasional SBD. All my previous dogs have never been bathed. ”

No odor that YOU notice-you are used to it and no longer notice. Believe me, everyone else smells your dog and your dogs odor on you coming a mile away! And if you think your home and RV don’t stink like pets, I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #16

One trick with a new puppy; If there is a thunderstorm coming and the pup looks like it might be scared grab it’s favorite toy and start planning with it, ignore the storm And ignore their fear. If you do the “poor baby don’t worry” coddling you will make sure the pup acts scared when the next storm comes along.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #17

Gotta love Home Depot. If we say the name out loud in our house there are two Jack Russell’s that immediately head for the door. Most of the folks who work at our local store know them by name. Best socializing experience for dogs...lots of people and new sights and smells. I’ve been known to take them there and walk around with no intention of buying anything.

Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply are also good places for the pups.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #18

Our puppy lays in the backseat with whom ever is in the back. She has spent several nights in the rv already. She probably felt save because she sleeps in the bed. Like all but one of the other dogs do.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #19

Thanks so much for the advice, both on training and traveling. We are very exited for our new adventure with her. We pick her up on June 20 and head for a week in South Dakota on June 27 so she'll definitely get some socializing right away. I love the idea of camping in the driveway. My wife and I are already thinking about how we can configure things in the RV to make her adjustment easier. Wish us luck!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
Why does everyone always blame the dog?

She has the guilty look
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote