Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #1

New travel buddy

Well after a year of no dogs we broke our promise not to get another. Unlike our last fur babies 3 beloved beagles, were not able to travel in a car, do to car sickness issues.

Brody is an 8 week old French Bulldog. We have agreed that he will be with us everywhere we go. We are going to take him out camping locally in the motorhome soon. More to get us used to having a dog on the road,

Wish us luck. And add any tips for making traveling with a dog/pet a success.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1657156485144.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	276186  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #2

surely this picture breaks some sort of cuteness rule. cute pup.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:17 PM   #3

Thank you. He is a heart breaker. He is asleep snoring in my ear as I write this.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #4

That picture wins the 'cuteness award' for the day.

Get that pup a cage and teach him that it's a 'safe space' by putting treats in there and giving him love. Our cocker goes into his kennel to sleep with the door open at home. When he's feeling unsure about a visitor, he'll go into his 'cave'/kennel.
Buy a harness to strap him to a seat when traveling. Somehow I don't think he's going to want to travel in the crate and you don't want him on a lap when the mh is moving.
Start him early in car rides around the neighborhood and then in the motorhome.
He's microchipped? I'd go the extra mile and get a tracking collar. That breed is highly sought after.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:42 PM   #5
Scoundrel

You are very lucky that he rescued you. Since you'll be traveling with him, I agree, micro chipped and tracking collar are important.

Congratulations on the new family addition.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:37 AM   #6

Well we have a dog, actually like a 4 legged 2yr old. Shih Tzu. Anytime me/wife take shower and get dressed , he thinks he's going for a ride. Made the mistake of giving him a greenie, (dog treat). now everytime he gets in truck he has to be given a greenie.
Best tip for having a dog while traveling, Cold bottle of water, few treats. small bowl for water. bed for him/her to lay down in He's gone with us 2x from fla to new england. never gotten car sick.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:11 AM   #7

We already have him chipped. And have been looking at tracking collars. I usually go with th DW to appointments and the like and wait in the car, so I plan to take him along as well. We have a crate for him but so far he's not crazy about it.

He is sleeping with us, so I can wake up and take him out at night. We found with our beagles that they potty trained faster that way.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #8

Since he's still a pup, you probably can't put a harness and seatbelt on him. So for now I'd crate him in a soft side crate and secure the crate in case of an accident....you never know. I've seen too many posts about animals getting loose and running away after an accident, sometimes happy endings, sometimes not.[emoji15][emoji848][emoji3526] Good luck. We travel with our Basset, we had two but we had to put poor Daisy down last September. Anyway we put a crib mattress in the back seat of the truck and hook her seatbelt in and she sleeps. She can still move around because the belt is adjustable.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
Since he's still a pup, you probably can't put a harness and seatbelt on him. So for now I'd crate him in a soft side crate and secure the crate in case of an accident....you never know. I've seen too many posts about animals getting loose and running away after an accident, sometimes happy endings, sometimes not.[emoji15][emoji848][emoji3526] Good luck. We travel with our Basset, we had two but we had to put poor Daisy down last September. Anyway we put a crib mattress in the back seat of the truck and hook her seatbelt in and she sleeps. She can still move around because the belt is adjustable.
Thanks for the input. So sorry about Daisy. We had 3 beagles pass within 1.5 years. So it was a hard decision to get another.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #10

You may want to consider something like this "Nite Ize SpotLit LED Collar Light". We put them on our large black dogs at the beach when we had them out at night so we could always see where they was.
AT-82Collectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:31 PM   #11

Brody reminds me of our new puppy from the pound.

Doesn't bark much, but seems to stare a lot. A little creepy, but I guess we'll get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New puppy.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	276211  
Old 07-09-2022, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
Brody reminds me of our new puppy from the pound.

Doesn't bark much, but seems to stare a lot. A little creepy, but I guess we'll get used to it.
Now that's creepy. I would be teaching that dog to walk backwards and shaving his butt.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Well after a year of no dogs we broke our promise not to get another. Unlike our last fur babies 3 beloved beagles, were not able to travel in a car, do to car sickness issues.

Brody is an 8 week old French Bulldog. We have agreed that he will be with us everywhere we go. We are going to take him out camping locally in the motorhome soon. More to get us used to having a dog on the road,

Wish us luck. And add any tips for making traveling with a dog/pet a success.
He is incredibly cute!
grabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabien View Post
He is incredibly cute!
Thank you. He has his own camping chair, and he likes setting in it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220804_181126.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	277890  
Old 08-24-2022, 06:39 AM   #15

I hear about so many dogs running off after an accident. So our Basset is in the backseat of our truck....crib mattress bed and has a harness and a seatbelt.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
I hear about so many dogs running off after an accident. So our Basset is in the backseat of our truck....crib mattress bed and has a harness and a seatbelt.

We bought him a sky box and harness. His is doing good in that because he can see outside.

We also bought pet health insurance with national coverage just in case we need to go to the emergency vet or vet in general.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SmartSelect_20220824-114246_Instagram.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	278243  
Old 08-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #17
Now a "Top Member"

You really need to work hard on the crate training. It will really do him and you a lot good in the future. My Boomer has a tendency not to listen to anything, especially when he's excited (like with a visitor at the front door). But when you tell him to go into his kennel, he just jumps right in. He is very good in it. He can probably have the run of the house now (without tearing things up), but we still kennel him just to keep him comfortable with it. And he will go in on his own sometimes during the day or night, and sleep for hours. It really saves a lot of potential trouble when he gets excited and gets his adrenaline pumping.

He sure is a little cutie. Congratulations.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
You really need to work hard on the crate training. .
If done correctly, the dog will treat a crate as it's 'safe space'. We put our dog's crate next to the sofa in the den where we watch tv and reward him with pets and treats when he lays down to sleep on his favorite bed/blanket. It's a task you have to do daily til they get the idea. That way if you ever have to board him, he's not going to be freaked out by a cage.

Now our dog will go into the crate whenever he needs some 'alone time' from his people. Doesn't do it often, but apparently we can get annoying.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #19

Thanks for the Input. This is a new breed for us. We had 3 beagles before and they all were crate trained to go on command. We are working on that. He is doing sit, shake and then high 5 now. We work with him every night before bed to wear him out. He will sleep in the crate at night sometimes as part of training to get him to hold it longer. But for potty training he sleeps with us and when he move we take him out. Now he will come to me at night to wake me if he has to go. Just trying to figure his cues out and teach him to come get one of us. So far no accidents in the bed.

The one problem we ran into with 1 of our beagles was going somewhere with no grass. Like in the Colorado mountains. He didn't know where to go potty at. So I'm hoping when the farmers take the bean crop off , I can get him out on the dirt to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SmartSelect_20220822-204107_Instagram.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	278270  
Old 08-25-2022, 12:10 AM   #20

Totally awesome pictures! The welcome mat is priceless! Here is my companion. Her name is Gretchen. I started volunteering at a dog and horse rescue in November and I adopted Gretchen from there in December. She absolutely loves going camping with us in the trailer!

Name:	Excited.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	278272
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel