Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy boys 3 View Post
While I'm not taking up for puppyills, in all honesty, it's not the puppy mills that are the problem, it's the idiot human race who get dogs and then turn it in to the shelters, that's where the real problem is. in short it's a people problem, made and caused by people, not a problem made and caused by the dogs.

Or they allow them to run loose and don't give a crap about them to pick them up. Or if they do they chain them up to live the rest of their lives in misery. Sorry for the rant, but it needed to be said. I wish I could save them all.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #62

This was a forum feed about people losing an dog and then getting another one, it's not a place to rant about puppy mills, stray dogs or wanting to save all the dogs in the world. If you want to rant about puppy mills, saving all the stray dogs in the world, then take your rants to the Facebook cry baby network.
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
My mom is severely allergic to dogs, so I never had one growing up. My day job doesn't allow it as I'm gone for days at a time. I started dating this girl, and the crazy boxer she had was part of the "package deal". ...
We've had a couple of Boxers. They're excellent family dogs. Totally trustworthy with any kid that comes in the house.

The second is nearing the end. Her predecessor was impressively smart; this one, not so much. We'll take a break until DW retires in a couple of years. Then we'll downsize to the ~25# range for practical traveling reasons.

Our hope is we don't get a barker. As we adopt from rescues, you really don't know until they're settled in. We've been lucky with the last two. We can leave them crated in the trailer for hours and they don't make a sound, despite all the campground noises.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy boys 3 View Post
This was a forum feed about people losing an dog and then getting another one, it's not a place to rant about puppy mills, stray dogs or wanting to save all the dogs in the world. If you want to rant about puppy mills, saving all the stray dogs in the world, then take your rants to the Facebook cry baby network.
Wow. That's unwelcome.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #65

Lovely post. I get these on my phone and rarely reply to most (people who haven't read the forum for an answer to their question) but this one just went straight to the heart.

Good for you!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #66

The Power of the Dog

"The Power of the Dog"
by Rudyard Kipling

..There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

..Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie --
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

.. When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find -- it's your own affair --
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

..When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone -- wherever it goes -- for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

..We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.

..Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long –

..So why in -- Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?
BobinIrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #67

Don't get me started. My wife and I didn't have a dog for 40 years because she is highly allergic. When we discovered that a Goldendoodle may be hypoallergenic we decided to try one.

I asked the breeder how we would know if the one we got would be OK for her. She said, "Pick a pup and bury your face in his chest." That was 10 years ago.

Merlin has taught me two very valuable life lessons:

The whole world is a playground. All living things are playmates, everything else is a toy.

Joy and enthusiasm, every day, in every way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_143158.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	222491  
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #68

Had a pup all my life . Have one now on her last year or so. Wife says no more but i say ive always had one.
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #69

Well, us too. When we lost Cookie to cancer we said no more dogs so we could travel and not have to board. Well about six months later our friend, who also is our vet of over 20 years, asked if we would be interested in a stray who showed up at her ranch. Before I could say ‘No’ she showed my wife a picture and she said, ‘Well, take him.’

Six months later we were on a 2 week Alaska Land and Sea cruise and about 10 days in she, “I miss my puppy. Maybe we should think about getting an RV so we can take him with us.”

Since then we’ve purchased our TT and Truck and adopted another rescue. We and they have travelled over 11,000 miles together. So much for not getting another dog. If you’re dog people, you’re going to have dogs.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #70

Absolutely! Man was not meant to live without a dog.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
After putting our dog down last April I told my wife that we will never get a dog again and she agreed..... well meet Archie and Oakley lol.
Congratulations

My wife said the very same thing you did as our yellow Lab was getting on and last year on July 5 we had to put him down, he was 13 and a half. Yes it was a very sad day and as a family we all mourned the loss.

22 days later we brought home another Lab puppy.

Never say never, best wishes.
Oldairmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #72

There should be a “like” button for this thread!

We have had to let 2 Goldens and one rescue dog go over the years. We’re left with one Golden, Winter, soon to be 9. We have said that when Winter goes, we’ll be done so that we can travel freely with the camper. What if we want to go golfing, my partner asks. Well, I just don’t know the answer to that. Not sure I can be without a little fur person.

Note the “handle.” Kind of a giveaway.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #73

So cute!
ColtarKDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Wow. That's unwelcome.
Agreed. A tad harsh, I would say.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #75
I'm Lost

Background, I live on-site (as all staff do) 9 months of the year at a remote resort, we're open around Jun 01 to mid-October.

The last dog I looked after for 5 years was a company dog, the owners had died so I volunteered to look after "Daisy" a Goldie. June 2018 we put her down at 13+ yrs, her hips had given out amongst other issues. Great gig, resort looked after health care and food, I just boarded her!

Jump ahead to mid-March (2019), I buy a 14 week Goldie, wife posts it on Facebook with photos (unbeknown to me), 3 hours later my boss lady calls; What-cha doing? (alarm bells) Me - out for a drive. Her - where are you? Me - Near Barrie. Her - Where else did you go? Me - Elmira-Fergus (Ontario) area. Her - Oh, buy anything? Me - a thing or two. Her - Oh, no puppy then? Me (busted) - er, yeah..... a couple of minutes more conversation later she says "you know she can only keep her on-site till we open May 31, she'll have to go home then". Me - "yup, OK", (me thinking; we'll see, maybe we'll both go, I'm ready to retire after 16 years here).

Ten days later boss lady pulls into the driveway just as I'm taking Lucy to go get the mail, beautiful sunny -12c day, 4' snow banks on driveway with Lucy sitting on top, boss-lady runs up driveway to her saying "oh you'll make a beautiful greeter at the resort, the guests will love you". Uh-huh, I knew that would happen!

Now its Jan 27, moving back into town tomorrow for the rest of the winter, Lucy will have to get used to being tied up when outdoors until mid-April when the road opens up and we can get back in again. She runs loose at the resort.

All photos of Lucy except the last are of her about 4 months, the last photo is about 8 months. Profile/avatar photo she is about 10 1/2months.
One of our many guests is an author, she posted a piece on her website with a photo of Lucy fishing, (at the very bottom of the post) Labour Day weekend so she is 9 months. https://t.co/oELQEtkRhe?amp=1

After these and all the other photos of RVers dogs how can anyone not want one at their side?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190314_170934.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	222496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190311_164935.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	222497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190319_232523.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	222498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190325_100039.jpg
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	222499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_213422.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	222500  

2013 F150 Screw, 6.2L gasser, HDPP, LT tyres, Firestone Air Bags, 250L aux tank.
2013 Rockwood Signature 8310SS

wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #76

Aww so cute and I know how you feel but I know if I lost my babies I would feel the same, but at the same time so empty, great choice on your part, they are beautiful!
Stormvet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #77

I have had dogs all my life. My previous dog was a rotti and I had to put him down due to hip problems (his, not mine). After 2 years, I got a German Shepherd. We had him trained as a service dog when my hip started going south. Today, he is the only thing keeping me moving. In all of my dog history, I never imagined getting a shepherd, but he is amazing.

Why are all my pictures sideways?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ky1.jpg
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	222511  
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #78
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
After putting our dog down last April I told my wife that we will never get a dog again and she agreed..... well meet Archie and Oakley lol.
I admire you strength and lack of tenacity! A true pet magnet....
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:59 AM   #79

We've had 4 rescue cats over our time. Lost 1 of are last cats last November 2018. Had to be put down at 4 years old. We already had an 10 year old cat at the time and agreed to adopt a companion for him. I told my wife that this is the last cat we plan to have. When they pass, that's it. We will see.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #80

Said same thng

Stray dog hanging around and knocked on doors trying to find owners. Wife wants to take home with us .dog catcher has been called. We are in residential area for two more weeks. Word is out we are looking for owners. Always had registered dogs, not stray. First stop would be the vet.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs