Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #21

So very very sorry for your loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
After putting our dog down last April I told my wife that we will never get a dog again and she agreed..... well meet Archie and Oakley lol.

I am so glad to see that you stuck to your word. You did not get another dog, you got TWO.

Double the fun!

Happy Camping
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
That’s strange; just last week I told my dog, Max, “NO MORE WIVES” He didn't seem surprised. 🙀
lol Not sure if i could go without a wife either.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #23

We are so glad that we went to the animal pound in Anaconda, Mt, and found our two year old cat. Now 15 years later, she is still traveling with us, although she went blind this last summer. It hasn't slowed her down much, though. We know that she will be gone some day, but we can't imagine being without her all these years. She has been a treat and the third member of our family.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #24

Trailer dog

We traveled 53 days w/ our 2 year old Vizsla. It does limit what we can do in national parks and how long we can leave him at one time. For people unfamiliar w/ the breed, he is kind of a cross between a circus monkey and Winnie the Pooh "Tiger". Vizsla's are the only breed where 1 dog won all 6 categories of AKC competition. Not mine. He can open doors and figures things out, that still puzzle us. We were in Yellowstone and left him w/ toys and treats for 9 hours, after walking him 2 miles (minimum daily walk). He shredded a couch cushion.It takes me at least 15 minutes longer to get dressed in the morning due to his help.
But taking him hiking is soo much fun, we can not imagine not taking him w/ us. He can find game anywhere you take him. We see animals we would never notice w/o him. His energy level is infectious and you can not help but laugh at him. If we don't walk fast enough, he "Bunny Hops". He has improved my kayak skills as he like to be a 45 lb. hood ornament on the nose of the kayak.
We take him to ranger evening talks and he usually makes friends w/ anyone especially kids. Usually he winds up in someone lap asleep
I say this will be the last one, but we said that after our Chocolate Lab-"Bosco" passed. It is definitely a commitment. OK, next time will NOT be an active dog at least.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post
Your dog probably didn't like your sense of humor, NJKris.
Hahahaha, I do admit it's an acquired taste! I was too young to know how to train it, and parents were too busy raising us to do anything either. Mom did try to take it to a YMCA obedience course, but the dog was requested to not come back!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
You cant do that. Starting a post with pics and not telling their story is against the rules, isn't it? C'mon, tell about these 2 darlings. Convince me to break that -No more dogs- rule.
Ok as Paul Harvey would say "and here is the rest of the story"

Besides work my wife of 33 years and I are always together. Well this past September I went with a group of other Jeep owners out to Moab Utah for 10 days to do some rock crawling. Being that my wife is in education, it was not possible for her to go. This is the first time in our marriage that we have been apart longer than 2 nights.
When I returned she mentioned how much she really missed having a dog as a companion and it really hit her pretty hard and every now and then she would bring it up but I stuck to my guns and explained the benefits of not getting another one.
Come a week before Christmas this old stubborn man decided that maybe it would be nice to have a puppy running around again. So that night I got on websites of all the local shelters and started looking. The next day we went to visit this little puppy. Out of the 30 dogs there, 29 were some sort of pit bull terrior and then there was this little mutt just shaking scared.
Two days later we were able to pick her up and bring her home with us. We are not sure what mixture she has in her but I do see some Jack Russell for sure.
That weekend over comes our 3 grandkids and of course they want a puppy also. So back to searching and that night I found a beagle pup for them.
So the beagle actually lives at their house but is here a lot and will also be coming camping with us. Both puppies are now 3 months old.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
We traveled 53 days w/ our 2 year old Vizsla. It does limit what we can do in national parks and how long we can leave him at one time. For people unfamiliar w/ the breed, he is kind of a cross between a circus monkey and Winnie the Pooh "Tiger".

And this is what he thinks of your description of him.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #28

I cannot even think of not having a dog. I have had only spent about 2 years (a bad time I will never get back) without a dog. I grew up with one dog from the day I was born and until I was about 13. DH understands this problem. While this is not a dog, but this is Lucky. We were headed to Colorado and DH did not want to drive through Lubbock, TX so I told him to make a right. While we were hanging out for the night at a picnic area, this little guy made an appearance. Not in the middle of Texas and no houses around for miles.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264 (2).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	222162

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #29

Dog

mdstudey- that's him. How did you get that close w/o a wet face? Funny, ours has to be leaning on or touching you most of the time.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
mdstudey- that's him. How did you get that close w/o a wet face? Funny, ours has to be leaning on or touching you most of the time.

I cheated by googling the breed and there was pictures.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf

Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #31
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisjc View Post
They truly do give back twice the love to their humans. As painful as it gets I am not sure I could ever do without a canine companion. We have said 'not again' enough times we don't say it anymore. Life is too short!

We totally agree with this. We could never be without the silly, active and loving of our dachshunds. We have lost two this year, one 14 female and one 13 male. That left us with our 5 year old male. We never said never but waited for the right one. Shiloh came home with us in November. Long nights at first, then stolen socks and stray sticks from outside. Ahhhhhhh, life is good again.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #32

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amazing dog.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	222165  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgelsie View Post
We sized our trailer with the anticipation of traveling with 5 dogs... 4 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Sorry about your Cavaliers
We have a half Cavalier, half Pekingese that's called a Pekalier. She just turned 5 last Wednesday. She's pretty much with me 24/7 since she was 12 weeks old and I love her to pieces. Boy, is she a stubborn girl though, adorable, but stubborn LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	222168   Click image for larger version

Name:	20770256_10210385427211897_981897694021745846_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	222169  
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #34

Four campers

They have all passed now, except for "Little" the black one on the end. She is now 16 years old, but keeps on keepin' on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sarena, Pooh, Molly and Little Bit 003.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	222170  
Weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #35
MCTroy

I heard those words too, no more dogs. We lasted 4 days and we adopted a 3 year old lab... then it was only 1 dog.. that lasted 2 months until we adopted a Golden Retriever puppy. We just can't imagine life without them, or the next 2 dogs, whenever that will be.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #36

Yep, We had to put down our 14 year old lab/border collie mix 2 years ago and still miss her. While it was very sad, she was old and ready and we never filled her void. Our current boy, Guinness, is an 11 year old doberman/heeler mix that never took a liking to the trailer life. Although he misses his old companion, he enjoys staying home with a house sitter. I have often told people that when Guinness goes, we'll be free to hook up the trailer and go out whenever we want.

Name:	20200115_152121.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	222171

My wife has been on board with the no dog idea for a long time.

And then....

We've both felt the need, want and desire to look for a new rescue pup. Our criteria was smaller than 40lbs, young, adventurous and good with kids.

Meet (we're not sure what the name will be). She is currently in Texas and is a Carolina Dog mix. She starts her journey to us on 1/25/20 and we meet her at the end of the month. We will be working with her on crate training and acclimating her to trailer life. We can't wait to start our new journey with her.

Name:	Cinnamon Dog (2).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	222172

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
That’s strange; just last week I told my dog, Max, “NO MORE WIVES” He didn't seem surprised. 🙀
Ha! That’s what I said; no more husbands, I’m sticking with my 3 retrievers. Best travel companions, happy to do and go wherever I want and never complain.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:27 AM   #38

My mom is severely allergic to dogs, so I never had one growing up. My day job doesn't allow it as I'm gone for days at a time. I started dating this girl, and the crazy boxer she had was part of the "package deal". Maggie was skeptical at first. Then she started trusting me, then she became mine. We became a family, and she was incredible with the kids, right up to the end. Her liver failed at 9 years old and she went fast. Even on the last day when she could barely walk, she got up and played with my then 1 and 3 year olds for a few minutes before she said goodbye. I miss her terribly.

6 months without a dog was too much. Now we have another boxer. A brindle. We named her Kona. She's a sassy little thing and her attitude couldn't be more opposite of Maggie's. Adjusting to a puppy in the house wasn't easy, especially with two young kids. She's stubborn as a mule and too smart for her own good. The one thing they both have in common: they love those kids unconditionally and are incredibly protective of them.

Kona loves going camping.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:30 AM   #39

Put her down

Mother in law was in hospice care with not long to go, told the wife to have her dog put down because she couldn't be taken care of by someone who didn't know her. She brought the dog home and relayed that to me. I said, we are not putting the dog down. (beautiful Maltese Pom cross) We bought her so your mother would have a companion. She is a beautiful dog, healthy, not putting her down. MIL insisted. I told the wife, give me the dog and she handed her to me. I played with her for a minute, set her on the floor. Told the wife, go see your mother and tell her, Bill put the dog down. Leave out the part about putting her down on the floor. MIL lasted another 6 months and eventually knew we kept the dog, and she was glad. We have 2, they travel with us whenever we go out camping. Sometimes to the barn, they love to play with the horses. They are great company.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:43 AM   #40

No more dogs I told my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Ok as Paul Harvey would say "and here is the rest of the story"

So that night I got on websites of all the local shelters and started looking. The next day we went to visit this little puppy. Out of the 30 dogs there, 29 were some sort of pit bull terrior and then there was this little mutt just shaking scared.

Two days later we were able to pick her up and bring her home with us.
Thanks for the rest of the story and thank you for rescuing that little guy. I encourage anyone looking for a dog to check your local rescue groups. There are so many wonderful rescues waiting for a good home.

Here is our wonderful medical rescue that was born with a liver issue and was saved by Panda Paws Rescue. We are blessed to have been “rescued” by him.

Name:	20190414_183733000_iOS.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	222174
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs