Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #41
DW's 401(k) Plan

DW had a Sheltie when we remarried (a story for another time) and after we had to put her to sleep, we eventually got 3 more Shelties. Fast forward to 2016... October of that year, we were down to one, Sasha, age abt 13, and she passed away while camping. I said the same... no more. When we got home from the trip, both if us were on the computer looking for a new one to adopt. We are now on numbers 7, 8 and 9 that we have adopted in the past 16 years.
Yep, hard to imagine not having a buddy... Or three... following me around.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191221_122804.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	222180

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #42

I've had dogs and lost dogs my whole life and my philosophy has always been that for as hard as it is to lose one it's worth the pain and sadness for the years of happiness and joy they brought to my life and knowing that I have given them a good life as well.
Draggo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
I've had dogs and lost dogs my whole life and my philosophy has always been that for as hard as it is to lose one it's worth the pain and sadness for the years of happiness and joy they brought to my life and knowing that I have given them a good life as well.
Amen to that!

That's exactly what I said to my GF when we lost our GSD 5 years ago, after having lost our Lab a year prior to that. She's currently of the mind that when our current dog passes, we won't get another. I know we won't last more than a few months without one though.

Here's a our current rescue dog, and camping companion, Dixxy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dixxy-cropped.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	514.4 KB
ID:	222186
Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #44

No more dogs I told my wife.

I’ve had dogs most of my life. I did say that to my hubby after a 14 Long year relationship with a difficult Italian greyhound. The day we put her down I came home and told him I’d changed my mind we adopted a full grown Plott hound boy, Jax from a rescue. 10 days later he seemed lonely so a month later we added a girl Puggle, Holly also full grown. Then fell in love with the Boston breed. Our rescues dislike the moterhome so they stay home with our older daughters our 2 Bostons travel with us. They are in the post below
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
^^^x2

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #46

Wife and I have had dogs our entire married life, The heart break of loss is always there and I believe everyone goes thru the "no more" stage. But at this time we currently have 8 Huskies ranging in age from 6 years old to 17 years old. and yes the heart break will be there with the passing of each and every one of them. But there was the great times and love that they all provided to ease the heart break.
2018 HD Fatbob S 114
Retired LEO,
Current Drug Diversion Investigator
Boris0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #47

Dogs, Cats, Puppies, Kittens, Birds, Motor Homes, Travel Trailers, New Car
Then I tell you,

DO NOT SAY TO YOUR SPOUSE, WE ARE JUST LOOKING, I PROMISE.
I promise you will come home with one.
Happy Camping!
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Ok as Paul Harvey would say "and here is the rest of the story"

Besides work my wife of 33 years and I are always together. Well this past September I went with a group of other Jeep owners out to Moab Utah for 10 days to do some rock crawling. Being that my wife is in education, it was not possible for her to go. This is the first time in our marriage that we have been apart longer than 2 nights.
When I returned she mentioned how much she really missed having a dog as a companion and it really hit her pretty hard and every now and then she would bring it up but I stuck to my guns and explained the benefits of not getting another one.
Come a week before Christmas this old stubborn man decided that maybe it would be nice to have a puppy running around again. So that night I got on websites of all the local shelters and started looking. The next day we went to visit this little puppy. Out of the 30 dogs there, 29 were some sort of pit bull terrior and then there was this little mutt just shaking scared.
Two days later we were able to pick her up and bring her home with us. We are not sure what mixture she has in her but I do see some Jack Russell for sure.
That weekend over comes our 3 grandkids and of course they want a puppy also. So back to searching and that night I found a beagle pup for them.
So the beagle actually lives at their house but is here a lot and will also be coming camping with us. Both puppies are now 3 months old.
Nice pups you have there. The stand up ears indicate it has a lot of Rat Terrier in her. RT’s are almost the same as the Jacks except for the ears...and they have the same playfulness as the Jack if you gave the Jack a tranquilizer. Very laid back.

Here’s mine...nine month old Rat Terrier on the left and five month old Jack Russell on the right.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #49

So hard to read some of these stories. I keep telling dog owners that cats are easier to care for, but I don't know of anyone who has had to take their RV dash apart to get their dog out from behind the airbag.

Okay, I won't leave you hanging. Last August while in Canada, we had to put down our 18 year old Calico. Her name was Angel. Angel came to us at 4 wks, and started going camping with us 3 years ago. She did great traveling, rode well in back seat of truck (had TT last year), and happy to just stay in camper when stopped. Angel had been on kidney medicine for a few years and one evening she wanted to be held more than usual. When she started to have seizures, I called a vet. He said to bring her in the next morning. We held her and tried to keep her comfortable but near midnight, I called back and told the vet I couldn't let her suffer anymore. He told me to meet him at the clinic. We drove the 12 miles watching for Moose. Angel was in respiratory arrest and kidney failure. We held Angel as he put her to sleep. Told us to come back the next morning to settle up and discuss cremation.
The next day we drove back to the clinic to pay the bill which in my opinion was very reasonable. The problem with cremation would be that we might never receive the ashes, what with customs and all. I asked if we could take Angel with us and they said sure and gave us the number of a animal hospital in Sault Ste Marie, Mi. Thank goodness for residential refrigerator with two large freezer drawers.
Crossing back into U.S., they didn't ask, we didn't tell. I took a cat to Canada and I brought it back.
Checked into camp ground and headed to Vet. Had Angel's ashes back within a week, She will continue to travel with us.

Oh, the dash. . .We decided to get another kitten. Not disrespecting Angel, but honoring her. Checked shelters in Sault Ste Marie, Canada and Michigan both, but didn't find that special one. Drove down to shelter in St. Ignace, Mi. There she was, about 3 months old, grey short hair and soft. She was scheduled for spaying the next week. Extended our stay in Sault Ste Marie and booked a week in St Ignace. We picked up Iggy (full name: St. Ignace) the day after her operation.
I was holding her in the MH and sat her down to show her where her food and water was. You guessed it, she dashed for the driver's floorboard and disappeared, up into the dash and over to the passenger side. DW Goggled what to do. . . Put food out and wait, or call a mechanic. Me being a mechanic and Iggy just having surgery, I started removing the dash. Hour later, there's Iggy behind the airbag, I think she was glad to see me. By the way, the radio was mounted crooked before I started removing the dash, now it is straight. Lol.

We had already purchased a dog training cage and used it the rest of the trip at night and when we weren't in the RV. Being in a shelter, Iggy was used to a cage. The cage stays home now and Iggy is doing great.

See dash photo in post above mine. That's exactly what my dash looks like.

Book signing next week. Sorry for the novel but I did my best to keep it short.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #50

After Reading This Heart-Warmer Of A Thread,I Have Concluded:"We Are Totally Screwed!" Yep,that's 'Da Facts! As an Old Critter,I find that there's just no replacing that unique brand of Unconditional Love and Loyalty! Sure,it's zero fun when one of the "Fur Kids" has to physically leave,nor should it be! We trade that Endgame Vacant and Gut-Shot Hollow Feeling inside for the immeasurable,unconditional Love those Four-Leggers grant Us! It's OK to Love,and it's OK to hurt and experience Loss. Just take the time to really look Your Camping Situation straight in the eye,and make a Good,Qualified Decision for You and Yours! All this comes from a damned near 60 yrs. old gruff stumble who gets it!! Thanx for reading,Gang!!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Nice pups you have there. The stand up ears indicate it has a lot of Rat Terrier in her. RT’s are almost the same as the Jacks except for the ears...and they have the same playfulness as the Jack if you gave the Jack a tranquilizer. Very laid back.

Here’s mine...nine month old Rat Terrier on the left and five month old Jack Russell on the right.

His ears usually are folded right over except for when you call his name then they stand up lol
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #52

Stella Approves!
WOOF!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller for web posting.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	222372  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #53
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well when DW and I had to make the decisions to put our 2 dogs down do to health issues we debated for 9 months before we jumped in again. He is now 5 and will be the last as DW is gone now also. He will hopefully live till maybe we both go at the same time. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #54

I’m just hoping that this happens for ALL my dogs when my time comes.

joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #55
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
I’m just hoping that this happens for ALL my dogs when my time comes.

What a joyful reunion that will be!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #56

My wife had a Lhasa Apso for 18 years, after he tragically passed away, she said no more, her daughter talked her into another Lhasa apso. We had him for 7 years, he suddenly passed away 25 April 2019. I also had dogs in my previous relationship and said that I was past the point in life, of wanting another dog however, the one she and I had for 7 years really became one of my favorites and for many reasons, to include camping, lots of walking and just his demeanor. To make a long story short, on 04 May 2019, we got 2 Lhasa Apso's.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200120_065316.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	222438Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200118_074656.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	222439
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #57
Lifesylers

Please don't buy...Adopt ! Screw the puppy mills …..
Old 01-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #58
Lifesylers

We have her twin. Sheba Rescue dog
Old 01-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #59

It's not a matter of puppy mills, it's a matter of the type of dogs available that you want to adopt. We weren't just adopting any dogs just because it's at a shelter. We looked for the type of dog we wanted to adapt.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #60

While I'm not taking up for puppyills, in all honesty, it's not the puppy mills that are the problem, it's the idiot human race who get dogs and then turn it in to the shelters, that's where the real problem is. in short it's a people problem, made and caused by people, not a problem made and caused by the dogs.

Tags
dogs