Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Pet Fences at RV Parks?

We're new to RV-ing. We have two dogs that we take with us. I see that the camping stores sell those portable pet fences. Are they allowed at most parks? Does anyone have experience with these or have you seen them in use? It seems like a great idea when we are at the campsite. It's tough having to have them tethered to a stake or picnic bench so much. Any suggestions about making life a bit easier when you want to have your pets outside with you without a leash?
Thanks!
Cardinal Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
We use a pet fence occasionally and have yet to stay at a park that prohibited their use. However, portable fences may not adequately contain larger breeds of dogs, nor do they keep habitual barkers from disturbing others and engendering complaints. We tend to use ours in situations where we will be staying for several days as they can be a bit of a pain to set up, take down and stow. Also, don't forget the issue of being able to set them up in at least partial shade so that Rover doesn't bake in the sun.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #3

Richard thanks for the feedback. When I googled pet fences in RV parks, about all I got were ones that do not allow them. I was a bit discouraged about that but your comments are reassuring. We would never leave them unattended or without shade but your points are very well taken. They are cockers and love to roll about and play which is a nightmare when they are on a leash or tether. I'm hoping others will add to the discussion.
Thanks! Again
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Our friends regularly use a pet fence when they are out camping. I would much rather see them used rather than have the situation we had at a local state park last month where the folks just let their dogs run free around the campground. Whether it's on a leash or in an enclosed fence you are being a good neighbor and responible pet owner either way. I think the only kind of places that would not allow them would be the hoity toity places like they have in Vegas that don't allow rigs older than 5 years old, etc etc.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #5

We have three little dogs - so far we've tethered them outside, but this can be a danger to those walking about (trip hazards). A pet pen would be a dandy idea. Have not encountered any direct prohibition of pens, or pets for that matter, but one RV park in Nordegg did have a fee per pet (also had a fee for our second vehicle) the costs in extra fees nearly doubled the nightly cost, needless to say we moved onto a more pet friendly campsite.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #6

We have two pugs and we use a Pet Safe wireless unit that works very well at the camp sites. After they get used to the collar, they tend to stay close even if the unit is turned off.
Mike_Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Peg View Post
We have two pugs and we use a Pet Safe wireless unit that works very well at the camp sites. After they get used to the collar, they tend to stay close even if the unit is turned off.
I see you have 2 pugs. We do also. It will be our 1st time camping w/them. We just purchased our 1st brand new camper, so excited. Now where did you find this wireless safe unit? Have you tried a regular pet fence for your dogs? and if so, did that work too? Thanks for your info to this matter.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

Anna, check the date on posts you are reading as the member you are asking a question of has only made 2 posts and hasn't posted since October of last year. I don't think they come here anymore and you more than likely won't get a response from them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #9

All of the campground rules and regulations, that I've visited, state: All pets must be kept on a leash.

The thing I CAN NOT stand is, someone will place their pets(dogs mostly) in the fenced area. Then, the owners will go inside their RV or leave the area for a moment, then the dog(s) start barking or whining.

I DID NOT COME CAMPING TO HEAR DOGS BARKING.

Please, if you must use a fence to retain your pet; and the campground allows it, please;PLEASE think of the others out here trying to relax.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #10

our friends use a Pet Fence and they have no isssue's

We either keep our Dogs on a leash with us or tied out when we are outside, When we go in the TT we take them inside so they are not alone and do not bark non stop!

We have two Jack Russell's (have you ever seen a smart squirrel on crack, that is the only thing I think you can possibly compare a Jack Russell to) Full of energy and very smart dog's. We do not have the pet fence, have you ever seen a jack Russell Jump?
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the responses. I totally agree with comments made about not leaving your pets unattended and to also keep the pets in a shady space. We did purchase two of the wire fences and use them together to make a larger area. It's fairly easy to shift about to keep in the shade. We purchased a thick padded mat for comfort and also put their beds inside. We only use it when we are outside as that is the purpose so that we don't have to leave them in the camper when we are enjoying the campsite. They definitely prefer being it it rather than crying at the door to come outside with us. We love them and so do Chloe & Chance.
dcglovier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I totally agree with comments made about not leaving your pets unattended and to also keep the pets in a shady space. We did purchase two of the 48" tall wire fences and use them together to make a larger area. It's fairly easy to shift about to keep in the shade. We purchased a thick padded mat for comfort and also put their beds inside. We only use it when we are outside as that is the purpose so that we don't have to leave them in the camper when we are enjoying the campsite. They definitely prefer being it it rather than crying at the door to come outside with us. We love them and so do Chloe & Chance.
Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
our friends use a Pet Fence and they have no isssue's

We either keep our Dogs on a leash with us or tied out when we are outside, When we go in the TT we take them inside so they are not alone and do not bark non stop!

We have two Jack Russell's (have you ever seen a smart squirrel on crack, that is the only thing I think you can possibly compare a Jack Russell to) Full of energy and very smart dog's. We do not have the pet fence, have you ever seen a jack Russell Jump?

yes we have one and the gf's dad has 4 of them. lucky for us ours is very calm and very nice. jumping he does not, barking on occasion and not a trouble maker. he does however get tangled on long leashes in the yard..
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #14

We have two set for our dog. They are very handy to have. The dog can run around without getting a leash tangled. The campground that we are staying at has three other campers with dog pen. They also come in handy for making a fence when other campers keep cutting through your site without asking. Where have camping manners gone?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #15

Our pugs.

I agree with you about the Pet rules. We adhere to them and would never leave our pugs unattended. I don't much care for the noise of barking dogs either. It's very annoying. Sometimes though, they are just asking us for something. They are our family though, and we wouldn't go anywhere without them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
All of the campground rules and regulations, that I've visited, state: All pets must be kept on a leash.

The thing I CAN NOT stand is, someone will place their pets(dogs mostly) in the fenced area. Then, the owners will go inside their RV or leave the area for a moment, then the dog(s) start barking or whining.

I DID NOT COME CAMPING TO HEAR DOGS BARKING.

Please, if you must use a fence to retain your pet; and the campground allows it, please;PLEASE think of the others out here trying to relax.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #16

My dog is a rescue mix that for the life of me can't figure out why he was dumped had him four months and only put him on the leash for.bathroom walks. Never barks or distracted and never leaves my side. I got lucky. Too bad all don'tcome that way
Stagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #17

Dog fence

We have the portable exercise pens and you can also buy tops that attach over them (same material) to confine larger dogs.
moosata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #18

Try this site for all your pet needs. It is located in Dothan, Al. I use the excersise pens for my dogs camping and at dog shows. They are very easy to set up and use. They come in different heights and can be covered with a shade cloth to contain a dog and provide shade. Gold Exercise Pens
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #19

We use this outside the RV (and sometimes inside ) depending on behavior.
Folds down flat for storage in RV or bed of pickup.
Nina

Name:   provaluePRO_t.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  5.9 KB
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
camping

we have 3 small dogs and use a corkscrew stake with retractable leashes, works well. we always make sure that they stay on our site.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote