Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #41

Ours go everywhere we do,just dont open the camper door when we ar'nt there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	89613  
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Ours go everywhere we do,just dont open the camper door when we ar'nt there!

I see you have your Head of Security on the job...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #43

careful in Florida ...technically still illegal to leave a pet in vehicle even if running ... don't shoot the messenger!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #44

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442972589.468761.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	89632

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
careful in Florida ...technically still illegal to leave a pet in vehicle even if running ... don't shoot the messenger!
Would not think of shooting the messenger, but would love to see a reference to a legal code in the FL statute that states it is illegal under any circumstances to leave a pet in a vehicle.

I found references to many cities and counties but all have a statement like the following or similar...
against the law to leave a dog, cat, or other animal unattended in a parked vehicle with inadequate or no ventilation.

But failed to find anything in the 2015 FL Statues that state it is illegal under any circumstances to leave a pet inside a vehicle, as implied.

(However, did find a statute 828.1231 f.s Sale of garments or items of clothing containing dog or cat fur prohibited; sale of pelt of any dog or cat prohibited; penalty. Makes me wonder if other states have the same statute. Never thought it was needed..... )

I ask since I have a close friend who travels from Atlanta Georgia to Plantation Key almost five or six times a year, has a retriever and I know she leaves it in the vehicle when she runs into the rest areas, and probably in service stations to get food/water, etc., after filling up. I'm sure she would want to know it was illegal.

And I plan on heading down there in a few months, and I know without a doubt, I cannot make it from Northern FL to Plantation key without stopping once or twice in a a FL rest area. And I would hate to violate the law when I leave my two Mals in the vehicle for a few minutes.

But there are fifteen states that do have laws against it....
Arizona, California, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont and West Virginia.

Just curious.

I do it quite a bit when traveling but again, five minutes at the most, and my dogs do not go to the store with me in the summer. Now when it is 20 degrees outside, yea, I'll run into a grocery store for a few minutes, but I'm sure they won't get harmed from the cold. They are probably good to around -20 degrees.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #46

[QUOTE=f5moab;991309]Would not think of shooting the messenger, but would love to see a reference to a legal code in the FL statute that states it is illegal under any circumstances to leave a pet in a vehicle.

I found references to many cities and counties but all have a statement like the following or similar...
against the law to leave a dog, cat, or other animal unattended in a parked vehicle with inadequate or no ventilation.

But failed to find anything in the 2015 FL Statues that state it is illegal under any circumstances to leave a pet inside a vehicle, as implied.

...I'll get with some of my favorite people over the next couple days & get you that info .... based on what you have quoted it would be perfectly legal to leave a pet with the windows open ....and it is not. The issue also arises that if your pet is super worked up it will appear that there is not AC on ... and people have the right to break out your window to release the animal ...

Frustrating to me also cause I used to travel everywhere with my dogs .....

Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
That's what we do with addi when traveling.
Leave vehicle running with key and take the fob.
Attachment 89546

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
That's what we do when traveling with our boys.
But while at The Arches NP in Utah we were told by a tree hugger that
we were spoiling the air by letting my diesel run to keeping the boys cool.
This was at a turn off on a mountain top.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Maybe they owned a VW..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #49

I don't know or ever heard of that law in Florida. I was right next to a state trooper at a rest area. We stopped and took our dog out for a walk in the pet area, after he got done, The wife and I both walked to the rest area after putting the dog in the truck opened all 4 windows a couple of inches and locked the doors. Nobody ever said a word about it. My sister lives in Miami and use to take her dog everywhere and left him in her car when she went somewhere to pick something up. I'll have to email her about that law. All rest areas have a sign posted that dogs are not allowed except seeing eye in the building.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #50

[QUOTE=Life Without Whine;991333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Would not think of shooting the messenger, but would love to see a reference to a legal code in the FL statute that states it is illegal under any circumstances to leave a pet in a vehicle.

...I'll get with some of my favorite people over the next couple days & get you that info .... based on what you have quoted it would be perfectly legal to leave a pet with the windows open ....and it is not. The issue also arises that if your pet is super worked up it will appear that there is not AC on ... and people have the right to break out your window to release the animal ...

Frustrating to me also cause I used to travel everywhere with my dogs .....
I'll be curious. I passed on this info to the woman I know in AT who travels to the keys, she's an attorney and said she will do some checking.

I know NV has a strict law on leaving dogs in vehicles. But it still states something like extreme heat/cold conditions and if the dogs are in stress. A NV state trooper told me not to worry for a five minute run into a rest area so long as the windows are cracked open and they can actually tell if a dog is stressed.

They are primarily aiming at the morons who do the mall walk while the dog dies a slow death in a vehicle out in a 100 deg day.

Many states have passed ordinances that take away any legal problems for LE to break a window; but be careful, they haven't done that for the common citizen.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #51

Quote:
MOAB! There are quite a few tree huggers that live and visit Moab. Have to learn to ignore them or baffle them.

I used to get the statement that I was selfish for driving a Hummer, my usual reply was to look at my wristwatch for about 10 seconds, look back up at them and clearly state, "sorry, I don't seem to have the time to give a ____." (You can fill in the blank.)

They also congregate in BLM campgrounds. Of course they are in tents, and they look down upon us with tent campers, I can only imagine what they think of large fifth wheels. But they always have the largest fires of all in the campground.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
MOAB! There are quite a few tree huggers that live and visit Moab. Have to learn to ignore them or baffle them.

I used to get the statement that I was selfish for driving a Hummer, my usual reply was to look at my wristwatch for about 10 seconds, look back up at them and clearly state, "sorry, I don't seem to have the time to give a ____." (You can fill in the blank.)

They also congregate in BLM campgrounds. Of course they are in tents, and they look down upon us with tent campers, I can only imagine what they think of large fifth wheels. But they always have the largest fires of all in the campground.
Maybe I should of camped in the Arches park with my 5er (if it would fit) and run my genny all day.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #53
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
That's what we do with addi when traveling.
Leave vehicle running with key and take the fob.
Attachment 89546

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Be aware some states and cities will take you to task on this. Will issue citations. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Be aware some states and cities will take you to task on this. Will issue citations. Later RJD
They gotta catch me first! [emoji12]

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #55

We always take our little Jack Russell boy with us. This year we added 2 little Yorkie girls. We usually go to a fast food place for lunch while traveling are grab something at the truck stop and pull aside for a little while while we eat. But my favorite is when we can find someplace with outdoor seating some rest stops have them. I will make lunch for all 5 of us and let the fur babies get some exercise while we eat.. IF we HAVE to go to a store that does not allow animals, 0one of us stays in the truck and the other goes shopping. WE DO NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE UNLESS THEY ARE IN THE TT.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
In hot weather with the dogs I would leave the locked truck running rather leave it with the windows cracked open.
I hear in Arizona some stores allow dogs in their stores rather leaving them out in the cars.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #57

I can say that when visiting Moab UT, the majority of the small establishments along main street will allow a dog in the stores, and I used to take my dogs into Wells Fargo Bank on main street all the time.

I have used the remote start in my Silverado twice when in Moab and with auto AC, the AC will run to cool down the vehicle. So there have been two times I have closed the windows, remote started the vehicle and walked away; it will run for 10 minutes. One time I got tied up in a checkout line and had to remote start the vehicle a second time. You are allowed two times before it needs to be reset.

But a Moab LEO told me once, if the windows are halfway down in the back, we can see if the dog is in distress; with the windows up, we don't know especially now that almost all vehicles have tinted back windows, and we don't know if the AC is on or not; but we can see a dog in the back and some dogs will just lay down till the owner returns. So, is it in distress or not?

For single people traveling with dog(s) it can get pretty tricky when needing to go into a store or rest area. For me, traveling food is found in a service station; and I have found rest areas usually faster than a service station.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #58

Quote:
Maybe I should of camped in the Arches park with my 5er (if it would fit) and run my genny all day.
Looking at NM for next year, I can work in some quality time for my 6.4 and big caged generator In UT. with no issues.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Looking at NM for next year, I can work in some quality time for my 6.4 and big caged generator In UT. with no issues.

For the largest number of tree huggers, do the Colorado River campgrounds managed by BLM. Granstaf 2nd campground from Hwy 191 is usually loaded with them.

If doing Arches, get your reservations as soon as possible when they open them up. They are always packed.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #60

So put in a request to my favorite person (who does the legal confiscation of the pets from closed vehicles down here in sunny Florida) and she just has the short list of items to act on .... can get the actual statute for any nonbeliever.

'If someone leaves their pet in a running car with A/C on, they can be in violation of Improper Transportation in a Motor Vehicle' to quote ... she says that if she finds herself in the situation described here she will leave a note on her windshield with the time she left the vehicle & exactly where she can be found (Bathroom, paying for gas....) but states that she could still be charged.

If you live down here you may have experienced some of these events .... just 10 days ago had one pup live & one died .... owner from out of state .... ignorance is no excuse and this is going forward under animal cruelty. Just because you can't find the law does not mean it doesn't exist .... fair warning all you snowbirds flooding in over the next couple months ....

Tags
camper