Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Travel With 2 Cats and 3 Kids in a Pickup?

I am looking for some ideas to accommodate two cats and three kids in a pickup truck. We tow a 30 foot TT and I am thinking about upgrading my TV from an SUV to a pickup. The cats need to be inside the truck. I was thinking the middle front of a bench seat could be used somehow to fit the cats in between myself and my wife. Anyone have any ideas?
jalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:56 PM   #2

Crewcab bigger inside than your SUV
Old 05-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #3

I can fit 6 adults comfortably in my F150 SuperCrew with front bench. It's cab has significantly more room than our Ford Edge.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
Always Learning

I know a family who fulltimed for 8 years with 4 kids and 4 dogs. You can do it! Are you planning on crating the cats or giving them some free roam in the cab?
Old 05-19-2021, 03:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I know a family who fulltimed for 8 years with 4 kids and 4 dogs. You can do it! Are you planning on crating the cats or giving them some free roam in the cab?
I was hoping to find a way to crate the cats because I'm thinking it would be safer to keep them contained.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #6

Put a cap with a sliding front on the bed of the pickup. Make sure you pickup has a rear widow slide. Now the pickup bed can be setup with all the kitty comforts including litter box (secure it), kitty bed, etc. The cats will make a game of going back and forth.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Put a cap with a sliding front on the bed of the pickup. Make sure you pickup has a rear widow slide. Now the pickup bed can be setup with all the kitty comforts including litter box (secure it), kitty bed, etc. The cats will make a game of going back and forth.
Thanks!! That's a Rockstar idea!!!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

We travel with two cats and only one kid but we let’s the cats roam free in the cab. I have a crew cab F150. We also have a litter box in the back of the cab and they do use it.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #9

Years ago (many many years) we had a pick up with a camper shell. We removed the camper shell front window and added a padded pass through to the truck cab by removing the truck back window.

We had an old couch in the back and the dog had full run. Also, and it was accepted practice in those days, both of our kids played back there as we rolled down the Highway towing the trailer.

I guess one might end up in jail doing that today, but everyone lived to tell about it and both kids (now 50 and 53) have fond memories of the experience.

So, consider that approach with the cats.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #10

This is the very reason we switched from a 5th wheel to a class A. Three teenagers squeezed together in the back seat of a pickup for hours at a time was just too much. We just got overwhelmed by “Dad, he poked me; Mom, his foot’s on my side; hey that’s mine...is so, is not.” Now they can sit at the table and play games, sleep, eat, watch a video, etc. etc., while we enjoy the serenity of a peaceful drive with our children peacefully taking in all the sights.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
Dryflycaster

We plan to travel in a Crew Cab PU with two cats and a small Yorkshire Terrier and I have toyed with the thought of enclosing and converting the lower bunk bed area (in the rear of the TT) of the TT, with screening, a door and of course a litter box. The cats could also be contained, as necessary, in this area while camping.

The Yorkie would be free to roam in the truck cab or be crated in the back seat area. My question is; would it be safe and/or acceptable for the cats to travel in this enclosed area in the TT. Livestock is often transported from place to place with no ill effects in trailers and cats are much more stable on their feet than livestock. Of course if the cats are lying down a sudden movement of the TT might cause them to start rolling around and bouncing uncontrolled off the walls, which would be the last thing I would want to happen. We could crate the cats in the PU but I really would like to give them more freedom of movement than that.

Has anyone tried this or a similar form of cat transportation ?

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex View Post
I was hoping to find a way to crate the cats because I'm thinking it would be safer to keep them contained.
You are correct! Think what would happen if you were in a wreck. Kitties loose on the freeway? We have a fabric crate for the truck. It doubles as a kitty condo sitting on the picnic table when we're outside.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
I've never seen a cat that likes the wind and the noise it makes rushing between the cab and cap but you can buy an inflatable piece that fits between the two. Dogs are a different thing since I've never seen one which wouldn't stick it's head out an open window.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, travel