Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #21

We have traveled with two cats for 6 years with a travel trailer. They ride in the truck with us on the move and seem to really enjoy themselves AFTER we get to our sit and transfer them to the trailer.
We installed a pet flap into the area under the bed a have the litter box in there. Never smelled anything. We scooped it every other day and even installed a motion sensor, battery powered light under there also. Works great!
Wouldn’t leave home without “The Boys”.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #22

That's great! Thanks
lannieoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #23

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
The most important thing is apparently to make sure that you get the kitty weighed. There are literally hundreds of posts on this site warning that you are *doomed* if you don't stop at the CAT scale and know your exact weight!
That's great🤣🤣 thx for the laugh
Old 07-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #24
Kanadian Kamper

Duke has to travel with us. When we’re asked at the border if the motorhome is ours, I always say “The motorhome belongs to Duke, I drive because he can’t reach the pedals.”

He’s been a traveller since he inherited us, has his own stroller, tether and has his own photo on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F6F8679-8DD0-494A-83E5-FDF0FC098BF5.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	235097   Click image for larger version

Name:	39A9EA6A-2604-4319-ADEB-AC3EE1CE595E.jpeg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	235098   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F39E846-0BF5-437D-A4AF-65DE84C99071.jpeg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	235099   Click image for larger version

Name:	08F5EA55-18BB-4677-9C73-CE9A930985A0.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	235100  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD over a 2017 Ford E450
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #25

They do own us. Lol thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTShaker View Post
We started taking Angel with us in 2017 at 16 yrs old. We originally adopted her when she was 4 wks old, that's another story. My son would check on her when ever we went away. Except for going to Vet, she never went outdoors. Our first TT (Retro) was too small to have a pet. But in '17 we bought a 24' Connect. From day one (when she started traveling with us) we never had a problem. She stayed/slept on back seat of truck, litter box on rear floor along with food and water while moving. We didn't use a restraint, although I realize we should have. When stopped, she was very happy in the camper and had no desire to be outside. We never could get her used to a harness and leash. When stopping for breaks, Angel stayed in Camper if it wasn't hot, otherwise we took her with us or DW set in shade with her while I went in to get us something to eat. We had no problems leaving her in camper while at camp sites when we were off sight seeing, etc. In 2018, we did a 3 month trip and Angel enjoyed all of Route 66 with us. When we bought our Class C in March 2019, she adjusted just fine, now she never had to leave her comfort zone.

Unfortunately, Angel passed away while we were in Canada in August 2019. She was 18 yrs old and had been on Kidney medicine for 3-4 yrs. We brought her back and had her cremated in Sault Ste Marie, Mi.

Two weeks later we found Iggy in St Ignace, Mi. and adopted her at about 2 months old, the day after she was "fixed". In anticipation of getting a kitten, we bought a small dog training crate and removed one of the dinette cushions. We had a shelf for the bed, small litter box and food and water. Iggy was used to a cage as we adopted her from a shelter and she had no problems with the crate. It was her safe place and we put her in there at night and when we weren't in the RV.

The rest of the story. Thirty minutes after introducing Iggy to the RV, she headed for the front floor board and you guessed it... Up under the driver's side dash and across to passenger side. We hadn't kitty proofed as good as we thought. So, I started dismantling the dash. We didn't want to wait til she came out on her own as she had just been operated on the day before. I ended up taking the passenger airbag out and there was our scared little Iggy. When I got done putting the dash back together, the radio wasn't crooked anymore. Thanks Iggy.

So, when we got Iggy, she started out traveling. After we got home, the crate came out and is stored in the garage. We did a 3 week trip last November and she was fine (access to under dash blocked off). This past May, we headed out and Iggy cried the whole trip (2 days traveling to CG) and wanted the DW to hold her. She didn't eat for 3 days so we took her to the Vet. He said she was probably stressed and gave her a B12 shot and appetite enhancer. She started eating and has been fine since. We were at CG for 7 wks and stretched 2 day trip home into 4 days and when moving, Iggy slept on her bed on the dinette booth. I think the original problem was that she hadn't been in the RV for 6 months. We'll be heading out again in another week or so and we will see how she does then.

Like others have said, all Cats have their own personality and traits, and won't all react the same way. I see a lot of others traveling with cats and have seen 2 or 3 that let theirs out on their own without a leash. I don't think I could do that, although Baby, the cat before Angel, probably would have been okay. Baby is another story, never traveled with us except to England. We got him at 2 days old and 3 ozs. Someday I'll write a book about him, he was special and thought he was one of us. Actually set at table to eat spaghetti with us. Okay, I'll stop. You'll have to wait for the book.

Anyway, enjoy your cat(s), and keep all cabinets closed. They will be fine. And if worried about the first outing, check with your Vet about a mild tranquilizer. We enjoy our Iggy. She keeps us entertained.

Good idea about introducing her to camper ahead of time, maybe even spend a day and night out there before your first outing. Also take her for ride in truck if she's not used to that. And don't be surprised if she just falls over when you put the harness on. Good luck.

One more thing, I wrapped the leg/pole for dinette table with sisal rope. Iggy uses it and we aren't tripping over a scratching post.

Be safe and have fun. Ron
Sad to hear of your cat's passing. We lost one of our siamese last year to old age and kidney issues. Unfortunately, we hav e to take the last cat standing to the vet this pm. Hoping to leave for group trip to N. Wi on Saturday. Hoping nothing serious.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #27
Just as confused as you

Cats are very finicky. We started camping with our two cats with a popup. Cats were leash trained and loved going for walks. The cats would be in the popup when we were loading it to leave then transferred to the TV. They would sit on the top of the back seat looking out the rear window. They learned what the word camping meant and loved it. They would sit around the campfire with us on their leashes. They loved sleeping between the screen and inside flap. If the flaps were closed they would paw (declawed) on them until we opened them enough they could crawl in.

Fast forward 3 years and we bought a used TT on a seasonal site in the middle of the camping season. Immediately, they hated it. Our only guess was not spending time in the popup before leaving.
One cat passed after 20 yrs of camping, the other stayed with us for 22 yrs.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #28

Awe, hope they get to like it eventually.
Thx
Old 07-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
they would paw (declawed)

Cats are meant to have claws.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #30

We have two Siamese cats! They have camped with us since they were about 6-7months old. They have a little box in the camper, have never been outside unless on a harness and leash which really isn’t all that often. More my fault!
On travel days they have always been in their crate which is buckled to the back seat! If we travelled far as other said no water or food or litter box. If we stopped for gas we put them in the camper for potty brake and water. If it was a long day food!
Now we are full time, they are 13 years old and still do great. Now of course they are cats so be prepared for cleaning up puke especially on the carpet area🤪
Good luck! My best advise is put them in the car preferably for me with a crate and take them for a short ride. Then a longer one!
groomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #31

We traveled with our 5 year old cat for 30 days over 2600 miles. We got a kitty tent so he could be outside with us and also had him leash trained (sort of). We stacked tables near window inside trailer so he could see out and topped it with his bed. We kept full size litter box in our shower (we mostly use campground showers). When traveling, we kept a disposable litter box in truck, and kept him harnassed so he wouldn't escape. He hated being in the truck. Yapped all the time despite calming treats, remedy and Rx from our vet. He was great once we stopped but drove us crazy when traveling.
BaltimoreBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #32
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Cats are meant to have claws.
Cats are also not supposed to turn on their owners. We had an adult male before we took up camping. One nice summer day he was at the screen door just screaming up a storm. I asked him what was the problem as I walked up behind him, he looked back at me so he knew I was approaching. As soon as I got to him he swung around and latched onto the back of my bare ankle sinking his claws and teeth in. Had to see a doctor and it was painful to walk on for over a month. There was a neighbors male cat sitting on the step just looking at him.

All 3 of our cats were house cats and didn't go outside without a leash. Don't really want to start an argument over declawing.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #33

We travel with our cats every year. Prior to 2014, we didn't; they were happy staying home and "entertained" themselves; we could tell from the tufts of orange-and-white fur that Dallas (our little princess) was teaching Onions (our king of the roost) some manners. Onions turned up diabetic in late 2014, so we bought a new trailer in 2015 so we could take the cats with us. In the back of our old Tahoe, Dallas was content to sleep in her bed and never once got sick. Onions yowled for about an hour then quit and settled in curled up in the center console. In our new truck, we put them, a litter box and some water in the back seat. Ours is set up with the seats folded up and empty packer trunks on the floor to raise them up to look out the windows and visit us when they felt like it. At our destination, the trunks are used to store and protect their bedding, seat covers and hitch components. We use an oscillating 12V clamp-on fan to circulate cool air around the back seat. Onions is fine now when we are going but Dallas gets car sick almost immediately though she settles down quickly. The fan helps a lot. We also discovered that having the radio on bothers them both so we leave the radio off and enjoy the sounds of the road and each other's company instead.

We've traveled with our other kitties (long gone now) and they were content to go along but they were indoor/outdoor cats. Our two current lazy house guests are indoor cats only, so strangers and loud noises really frighten them.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #34

Travel with a Feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannieoakley View Post
Hi all, We have downsized from a hobby farm with many animals to now having 1 cat. She is about 1.5 years old. We would like to travel with her but aren't really sure how to get started. Leash training? Crate in the truck for riding along? Then what do you do about potty training. Litter box in the camper for rest area breaks? I just have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

lannieoakley
2019 Flagstaff 5th Wheel 529BH
2014 Ram 3500
Have traveled with our cat for many years. Mind you both were Burmese and they do not act much like a "normal cat". They are very much a people cat and more like a dog. The first one we had we trained to a harness right from 3 months old but it did not travel until he was almost 2yrs. At first he didn't like it but as long as he was sitting on DW lap he was fine. Only problem was that for the first few years he was bothered by any overhangs like trees or trestle bridges passing by overhead. Had a truck and canopy with sliding rear windows between and used an inflated small bicycle inner tube between the gap to cut out the wind rush and noise. Litter box in truck bed but it did but it did take a bit of training to get him to jump through into the truck bed.
Present Burmese cat no trouble at all. Trained him from a small kitten to a harness, leash and travelling. He loves it. This one mostly stretches out on the centre consul and sleeps. Small amounts of food and water while traveling are the trick. Fed ours too much initially and he threw-up!!
A cat of 1.5 years might take some getting used to travelling but we are sure if you persevere she will get used to it and give you many years of great company. One Tip.....If you have leather, "Ultra-Leather" or vinyl seating you might want to make sure you keep her claws clipped nice and blunt.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #35
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannieoakley View Post
Any help would be appreciated.
Whew! I read through all the above and will be brief. We've traveled in a pickup pulling a TT with our two cats since they were 6 mo. old. Here's what my cats taught me.
1) They can ride for 4-5 hours w/o needing water or litter box. (We still carry both in the truck.)
2) They're quite content to sit in their travel crate on the picnic table when we are outside. It's a dog crate (fabric, collapsible).
3) They like to mosey around in harness and leash a couple times a day if everything is relatively quiet. No harness made will hold a panicked cat determined to escape. Forget tethering.

Also allow me to hop on my soapbox. Keep your kitties crated in the truck and secure the crate. Picture an accident where everyone escapes injury but the kitty is loosed onto the interstate.
Here's Fitz on his leash and a shot of the kitty crate on the picnic table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2111.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	235112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny and kitties chillin'.JPG
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	235113  
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Cats are also not supposed to turn on their owners. We had an adult male before we took up camping. One nice summer day he was at the screen door just screaming up a storm. I asked him what was the problem as I walked up behind him, he looked back at me so he knew I was approaching. As soon as I got to him he swung around and latched onto the back of my bare ankle sinking his claws and teeth in. Had to see a doctor and it was painful to walk on for over a month. There was a neighbors male cat sitting on the step just looking at him.

All 3 of our cats were house cats and didn't go outside without a leash. Don't really want to start an argument over declawing.
Neither do I. I have my opinion and you have yours.

I just know that having them de-clawed is very detrimental to their quality of life and gives them no way to defend themselves if they should happen to accidentally get outside for some reason.

That's all I'll say on that.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #37

We travel with two cats in the truck. It's a supercab, so I folded up the back seats and built a shelf the height of the folded seats 1/2 way across the back. A cat carriers sits on top of the shelf behind the drivers seat, that one of the cats likes to stay in. Under the shelf is a litter box that very rarely gets used. At the other end on the floor is a water bowl and a bowl for some dry food if they express a desire. They seem very content with that arrangement and don't hesitate to get in the truck when we are ready to go.
Sometimes they will get on the console between the front seats and watch the scenery
Both will walk in harness.
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #38

As said, they are all different. We had a seal point Siamese who loved to travel in our car and would either sit on my wife's lap or on the front dash in the sun. Sometimes she would go under the back seat of the car to nap. We kept a litter pan out and gave her food and water when we stopped to eat. We used a crate to transport her into hotels and back.
Then we had an orange ASH that hated travel, and would invariably look for the smallest crack in the stack of boxes and bags, and toss his cookies into that tiny crack. He was fine the rest of our trip however long it was. He would spend 95% of our trip time under the rear seat and did just fine there sleeping the day away. Crated into and out of hotels, and after that one morning when we just could not find him until we literally took apart the nightstand between the beds and found him hiding, he slept in the crate.
Both cats hated a leash but we did not try the leash until they were fully grown. I have some friends who started the leash walking when their cats were tiny and they did just fine. Have fun!
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #39

Just be careful with cats. I work as a camp host and a camper came up to me and asked if I knew of anyone that was "missing" a cat. She had seen one. I asked around and sure enough, 2 weeks earlier a couple from Texas was camping in the loop and their cat got out. It was scared and ran off. At that time they could not find it. They searched and searched to no avail. They had to leave to return to Texas (I am in Maryland).

I ended up being able to catch the cat and get it into a carrier with the assistance of a park ranger. The sad part was the cat was declawed and was unable to protect itself. I was surprised it had survived those 2 weeks. It was very thin and had some ticks but was otherwise in good shape.

We got it reunited with the family. I suspect that they are a bit more careful from now on.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Neither do I. I have my opinion and you have yours.

I just know that having them de-clawed is very detrimental to their quality of life and gives them no way to defend themselves if they should happen to accidentally get outside for some reason.

That's all I'll say on that.
It is also illegal in some states now.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, travel