Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #41

I have always camped with a cat. The cat rides in a carrier in the tow vehicle with me if he doesn't yowl. I had one cat who was a yowler and he rode in his carrier in the travel trailer until he figured things out. I do not worry about food or water while in transit.

All of my cats who camped with me loved, loved, loved camping. Leash is optional but what I found to be much more enjoyable for all involved was to get a pet stroller. That became the cat's throne, including sitting outside/fireside with me. A pet playpen that folds flat for storage and has an enclosed top and bottom is another idea. I do not worry about food/water when my cat is in the pet stroller or the playpen.

My last cat would sit at the door inside the camper and yowl if I was outside and he was inside the camper. As soon as I popped him in the pet stroller, he was a happy camper.

As far as a litter box, I opt to not shower in my camper so the crapper lived in the shower. I had to sweep the floor several times a day to keep the loose gravel that comes off the cat's feet under control but other than that, we had it figured out.

My travel trailer has a glass shower door. To keep the door from closing and magnetizing shut on its own, I use a donut shaped piece of foam that people can purchase for small children so the child's fingers are not getting pinched in a door. That way the cat could open the shower door at any time and handle his business in the litter box.

Enjoy camping with your cat. It's an awesome experience when the cat enjoys it. The pet stroller was crucial for me as I'm a walker and a hiker and the cat went with me in the stroller 95% of the time. I purchased a better pet stroller that was able to handle going "off road" on unpaved but groomed trails and I've never regretted it.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #42

We take ours in the class C

Our cat is strictly a house cat, and she's beside herself if we leave her alone for more than a day or so. We're all she knows.

She isn't happy with pet sitters either, so we take her wherever we go.
We got a litter box that's top entry, and it is strapped in to the table mount and under the table with a motorcycle tie while in transit.
When we get to where we're going, it fits nicely in front of the doghouse (engine cover) between the front seats. We cover the front seats with beach towels.
She travels ok, usually hiding under the couch. When she hears voices at campgrounds she hides (afraid of her own shadow), but she gets brave enough to come out at night.
We used to take her in our little airplane too. The cat literally goes everywhere with us unless we just leave for a day or two max.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #43

I have been showing Birman cats for about 40 years and have traveled extensively with them around the country. Things I have found to be true:
  • No two cats are alike - just like kids.
  • They have not yet made a harness that a cat can't get out of
  • Cats allowed to roam free in a vehicle will eventually cause an accident. For their safety and yours they should be in a carrier that is strapped in with a seat belt. They should also be micro chipped just in case the unthinkable happens.
  • Cats (and small d*gs) should never ever be tethered outside, even if you are right there. I know a few (not mine) who have lost their lives that way from birds, wildlife, and d*gs.
  • You can't over cat proof. You know that spot that you look at and say there is no way they can get in there? They can and will.
  • Be especially careful before moving things that move especially slides, beds, recliners, etc. Always know where the cat is first.
  • Hairballs happen. You tend to find them at 3:00 am when stepping out of bed to head to the bathroom.

I strongly recommend "door training", which I have done with all of my kittens when they were little as well as any new cats. I can now open any outside door without fear of them running out. Me or DH or one of the kids would stand there with the door open. I would be hiding out of sight right outside the door with a can of compressed air. As soon as the kitten stuck it's nose out I would let out a roar and it got a blast of air . Only took two or three times before we could stand there with the door wide open and they had no interest in going out. They love to stand inside and look out the storm door but they have no interest in sticking their noses out the door. Cats have long memories.

If you are traveling or not, I also recommend what I call "bomb proofing". Cats, and d*gs that are not exposed to noise and commotion tend to fear it. Vacuum cleaners, power tools, loud noises such as doors slamming, thunder, fireworks, cars backfiring, etc. Have them associate loud and sudden noise with something positive. Cats especially are good at picking up on emotions and look toward you before deciding how they will react. If you are nervous, they will be too. I remember a kitten I sent to a fellow breeder in Kentucky. She called me up after a week wondering what was wrong with the kitten. It seems that the tornado siren went off and all her cats scattered. Rosie went to investigate what all the noise was about.

Don't hide the carrier when not in use. Keep it out with a clean soft towel inside and the door open. Cats like "dens" too for a quiet nap and it will prevent them from learning the association between the carrier coming out and the trip to the vet

Unless the cat is seriously freaking out do not under any circumstances sedate them for traveling. It impedes their ability to maintain their balance and they may end up getting hurt. It is also stressful on the kidneys as well as disorienting. Most cats will give you the running commentary for anywhere between a few minutes to an hour or so. If you don't make a big deal out of it they will then curl up for a nap, or sit up in the carrier and look out the window for the rest of the trip

Make sure to make camping fun for your cat too. Be sure the screens are tight and give them places to sit or lie down to look out the windows at the birds, chipmunks, squirrels, etc.. Have a place for food and water bowls that is out of the way and use the same spot consistently. Cats like routine. You know your cats better than anyone else and what their meow's mean, the same as your cats know you. Listen to your cat. They will let you know when something is not right and what they want.

Hope this info helps.

Here's a couple of cute pics of my babies. The kitten is BeBop (Sundshyne's BeBop Lady Blue) The other pic is her mother Lily ( CH Landshigh Zweet Lily of Sundshyne)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bebop.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	235151   Click image for larger version

Name:	lily1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	235152  
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #44
old dude

This is quite the gentleman and travels extremely well. He goes on all our trips if possible. More of a puppy cat. Strictly indoors only. Rides in the back seat of the truck and usually just sleeps for the entire road trip. Loves to look out the windows in the RV. Only claws on the cardboard scratch pad - recommend those.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Java_in_Jills_chair.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	235309  
Saluki100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #45

Sometimes traveling with a cat seems like a better idea at the beginning of the trip than as the trip progresses. Over the years my late wife and I encountered several cats at rest areas that seemed like they were left behind. They wanted to join us in our travels.

Left behind by accident or on purpose? One can only speculate

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Neither do I. I have my opinion and you have yours.

I just know that having them de-clawed is very detrimental to their quality of life and gives them no way to defend themselves if they should happen to accidentally get outside for some reason.

That's all I'll say on that.

I had a 22# Maine Coon that had front paws de-clawed. Didn't stop it from using it's teeth and rear claws for defense. Didn't hurt it's hunting ability either based on the rodent carcasses that were "presented" to us on the back porch.

Cat had spent several years "on the street" before it adopted us after our neighbor, who got it from a shelter for their daughter, moved. Cat wasn't allowed in their house and I regularly saw it sheltering under their pickup during rain storms, day and night.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #47

We traveled cross country with one cat, around the east coast with two others. Like others have said, they traveled in the truck with no litter box, food, or water. When we stopped at rest areas they went in the trailer where they had access to those things. No issues. We stopped frequently.

In one trailer we had the litter box inside an interior compartment (under the dinette) with a cat door for access. Worked well.

One thing I always did was spend quality time with them in the trailer *before* we traveled. When I opened up the camper in the spring, the cats always joined me out there for the process. I'd take them out to the back yard and hang out in the camper with them other times, too. Maybe read or watch TV, or take a nap with them. And, of course, lots of treats.

Same with the truck. Took them for rides that didn't end at the vet: shopping, errands, etc. so they got used to it. We had carriers for them.

The first cat really got into it. She liked to go for rides, get out of her carrier, and look out the windows, just like a dog. She's the one that went cross country. The other two were mixed in the truck. One would get slightly stressed, the other tolerated it (and helped keep his sister calm), but they didn't enjoy driving like the first cat. They stayed in their carriers, which became a safe place for them. Even at home, they'd go into their carriers if something frightened them.

All three loved the campgrounds once we got there. Looking out the windows seemed to be the prime entertainment, aside from being with the family. They were all inside cats but they had collars embroidered with our phone number in case they got out somehow.

All three hated being left home alone if we didn't take them with us and would act out to prove it.
stephndudb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #48

Our friends would allow their older cat out at campsites. She would restrict her movements to a 5 x 7 pad at the bottom of the steps. Unfortunately, while at a stop, she must have gotten out and they left her behind. They spent days looking for her but to no avail.
Barfing can be a problem because their eyes see reflections of trees and such in the glass. So I would cover my back seat windows with something and leave her box in the back seat. As soon as she knew we were not going to the vet she relaxed and enjoyed the trip, but I did have a walking cat harness on her. She would love the campfire and hanging out with me.
It is best to take her along and not place her in a Cattery while you are traveling. She will enjoy just being with you.
I miss my chickens on our "hobby farm", they were so much fun and free rangers. They would go home on their own each night. They loved watermelon, lettuce and pomegranates that grew on a tree (Too many) on our 10 acres. A glass of wine and them would cure the worst day of business. But I am damn glad we found someone to buy "Green Acres" because it is not for the retired. 19 years was long enough. Safe Travels.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
I traveled with my cat for over 15 years, he loved camping. Adjusted well and loved it.

In later years he even sat on my lap sitting around the campfire.
What a great image 😍
Mick_WestEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannieoakley View Post
Hi all, We have downsized from a hobby farm with many animals to now having 1 cat. She is about 1.5 years old. We would like to travel with her but aren't really sure how to get started. Leash training? Crate in the truck for riding along? Then what do you do about potty training. Litter box in the camper for rest area breaks? I just have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

lannieoakley
2019 Flagstaff 5th Wheel 529BH
2014 Ram 3500
I put my litter in the shower
wemeyer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:44 PM   #51

Tunnel for cats in the RV

We have been on the road now for 10 months with our 2 cats. We seen a need for a place for a kitty box real quick. so I looked around and found a great place. You can see in the pics we took out a small piece of the wall in the storage under the RV and built a tunnel to that space we made. The tunnel runs from the living room to this space and is about 2 and half feet long. We put a sliding piece of plexiglass that is locked into place when I am not cleaning the box. We also cut a small hole into the side of the RV and placed a small fan in the hole so that all the smell would be pushed outside. We also placed a small motion light in the little space so when they walk in the light will come on. This addition has been great! The cats come and go as they please and the cat dirt stays in the little space and not all over the RV. I vacuum up the cat dirt when I clean out the litter box. It has made living with our cats in the RV so much better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200505_142321.jpg
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	235616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200505_142401.jpg
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	235617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200505_143046.jpg
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	235618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200505_143109.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	235619   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200505_143124.jpg
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	235620  

Old 08-04-2020, 12:13 AM   #52

We traveled many years with our 2 cats, and at first let them stay in our 5th wheel while we were driving. On our way to Phoenix, AZ, on of our kitties broke her leg, so from that point on, we put them both in crates, and had them travel in the truck with us. We made sure to secure the crates with the seat belts for safety. When we would stop for lunch, we would let them out of their crates, so they could use the litter box in the trailer. Most times they would not want to eat or drink anything until we got to our campsite. We did not have any luck with harnesses, because one of our kitties learned how to back out of it. We loved having them travel with us, but it was not their favorite thing. Their favorite part was when we arrived at the campsite, and opened the slide out. 🐱🐱
mmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #53

We traveled with our cat for about 18 years. We started with short trips and started to train her with a harness and a 50 foot rope leash. She traveled in the truck and was allowed to roam freely. Carried her litter box in the back of the truck and moved it to the camper if we went in for a longer lunch. We always kept a harness on her when we traveled because she got away one time and crawled up under a class A. When we tried to grab her she slipped out of our hands. She always seem to enjoy camping until she passed away.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #54

Cat Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
Owen the cat has been traveling with my pack since he was 8 weeks old. He is harnessed all the time, with tags attached to the harness. I also added a second leash ring as a failsafe.
Be VERY careful when you buy a harness. I found some of the “vest” style harnesses were easy for Owen to slip out of. Test it at home! Also be careful that the harness you buy is NOT quick release. Many cat collars and harnesses are meant to snap open if the cat reaches the end of it sharply, but in a remote campground, a cat shouldn’t be unattended EVER so the risk of getting caught and choking will be nil, making this feature unnecessarily risky.
Owen rides in a crate in the truck, either with a dog or in his own, depending on space. His litter box is in the trailer, so after a few hours driving, we stop and he gets the opportunity to use it if needed.
Attachment 235082Attachment 235083Attachment 235084
I have tried at least 8 different harness for my tubby kitty, Velcro, she always seems to get out of it by quickly turning the opposite way we are facing. I would like to know what harness you use and if your Owen has tried to escape. My Velcro, is very timid and we have issue with getting her to walk ahead or beside us. We have payed for kenneling in past, but would like to take her along. I am just afraid of her escaping into neither world.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #55

I have a box full of harnesses I bought to begin with, trying to find one that adjusted easily and didn't have Velcro. Nothing was satisfactory to my cat or to me, until I found this brand https://trepontiusa.com/cat-harnesses-by-tre-ponti/ at the Mesa, AZ cat show a couple years ago. First time I put it on her all was well - no buckles, no snaps. You do need to read the directions on how to chose the size, the folks in the booth at the cat show were very helpful. The size I got has allowed her to grow into it and the only thing I have had to adjust is the keeper at the withers. Been using it for 2 years and looks like new. I'll attach a couple pictures, but it's hard to see the harness since she's long hair but their website has some good pictures to get the idea.

As someone else said, each cat is different. It's not like walking a dog....at least my cat doesn't heel or sit! She takes me for the walk since it's much easier go where she wants to go, within reason. My job is to keep her out of difficult situations, out of hidden cactus, away from overly ambitious dogs (most dogs are fine).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Evie051120rockpile.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	235701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evie072220Catnip.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	235702  
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #56

good luck with your cat(s). I don't have cats but do have dogs. When we first brought our tt home we spent plenty of time with the dogs out in the tt in the driveway. We would bring out some treats and some of the dogs and watch a tv show or just hang out. Once they got the idea that they would get treats they loved going to the tt. We have show dogs so they were used to traveling but now they see the tt as their house and love getting to go along just to be with us. I do recommend training them to a crate or pet stroller. My dogs are small and can get out of collars and harnesses if they really wanted to. Crating helps very much - when stopping for gas/food, setting up, tearing down campsite, etc. to know that they are safely in their crates and can't sneak out or bolt if they get scared.
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, travel