Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
ronorr44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Traveling with my Dog!!!

I need some help. My family loves going camping and we need to take my dog along but we don't have any room in the cab of my tow vehicle. What with my wife, 3 kids and myself. Do any of you travel with your dog in the trailer? If so how do you keep them cool on long hot summer days? I'm not above sticking one of the kids back there but Im sure that will cause more harm than good.
ronorr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Our dog curls up at my wife's feet, or if I flip the centre up then on the bench between us. And she's a Weimaraner, so she's not a small dog (~60-80 lbs).
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorr44 View Post
I need some help. My family loves going camping and we need to take my dog along but we don't have any room in the cab of my tow vehicle. What with my wife, 3 kids and myself. Do any of you travel with your dog in the trailer? If so how do you keep them cool on long hot summer days? I'm not above sticking one of the kids back there but Im sure that will cause more harm than good.
Open the roof vents if you have MaxAir covers or similar and put the dog in the trailer. DO NOT put one of the kids back there as in most states, it is illegal for people to ride in a trailer.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
My toby rides in the pick-up bed.
Hasn't even attempted to jump out in his 12 years of existence.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
rowdydog77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 119
We would open up a window or two part way to let the air circulate as well.
__________________

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

DO NOT put one of the kids back there as in most states, it is illegal for people to ride in a trailer.

You'd be surprised at how many states that it is legal to ride in tt or 5th wheel.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
MI Camperz
 
bodzcampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You'd be surprised at how many states that it is legal to ride in tt or 5th wheel.
I would crate them for their protection against getting into something, sliding and slipping, or flying objects, or worse case scenarios. A crate will be like a safety cage. Make sure they have water and a comfort chew toy for anxiety. Keeping something with your scent in the crate will also be comforting. Try to get her to spend time in the camper in the meantime, so she's familiar with it before her first journey. Reward the dog after her journey with treats and high praise. Let her out in intervals and that is also a good time for rewards and high praise.
__________________
MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You'd be surprised at how many states that it is legal to ride in tt or 5th wheel.
Regardless, it is not a smart thing to do and what are you going to do if you go from a state where it is legal into a state where it is illegal? Dumb move anyway you look at it.

16 states allow it: AZ, CA, IA, IN, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NJ, OR, SD & WI.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Toby
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130719_103117.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	35734
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My toby rides in the pick-up bed.
Hasn't even attempted to jump out in his 12 years of existence.

Turbs
They only do it once.
Great looking dog, by the way.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
ronorr44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Apparently some of you are not getting my sarcasm. I will not be placing any of my children in the trailer it was just a joke. Thanks for all the help though you guys rock!
ronorr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorr44 View Post
Apparently some of you are not getting my sarcasm. I will not be placing any of my children in the trailer it was just a joke. Thanks for all the help though you guys rock!
Was going to suggest DW, so there would be peace & quiet, but...
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
rotorhead1250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Was going to suggest DW, so there would be peace & quiet, but...
My wife has a micro-switch. 10 min down the road and she's asleep. Cool, think I'll listen to a little Neil Young, for the next 4 hours!!!
__________________
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

They only do it once.
Great looking dog, by the way.
True......
I don't see it happening.
He lays down and goes to sleep till he feels the rig slow Down then he gets up to look around.
If nothings amiss he's back to sleeping duty.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
True......
I don't see it happening.
He lays down and goes to sleep till he feels the rig slow Down then he gets up to look around.
If nothings amiss he's back to sleeping duty.
Now that is one great travelling dog!
It is surprising, to me at least (I own a GSP), at how many dogs do ride in the back of pickups. While down in Wyoming, I couldn't count all of the ranch trucks that went by with a dog in the back, up on the toolbox, or feet up on the boxside, checking out what's passing by. Down there, mostly blue healers and border collies, but all very well trained.
I know for a fact that if I had my pointer in the box, the first bird that flushed out of the ditch, and she would launch!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 170
Sadly I have a friend that lost his best friend a black lab, that either jumped out or fell out and was ran over by the back wheels. Needless to say he was devastated. They make some really nice diamond plate dog boxes you could put in the back for your "best friend". The guilt would be tough to live with....... Personally I would not chance it. I agree with OC just because it is legal to ride in the trailer does not make it a good idea, I know he was just joking but with some people you never know.......
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post

I would crate them for their protection against getting into something, sliding and slipping, or flying objects, or worse case scenarios. A crate will be like a safety cage. Make sure they have water and a comfort chew toy for anxiety. Keeping something with your scent in the crate will also be comforting. Try to get her to spend time in the camper in the meantime, so she's familiar with it before her first journey. Reward the dog after her journey with treats and high praise. Let her out in intervals and that is also a good time for rewards and high praise.
I agree mostly...We don't put water in our pointers crate. It'll splash around and make the bedding wet. But we do stop every two hours, or less if its really hot, to let him out to stretch, drink and potty. Our setter sits in the cab with us. The crate is for his protection as stated. Never had a problem. Keep your exhaust fan on and even purchase a 12volt clip on fan if you think your dog will need it.
__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,151
Our dogs ride in the trailer, laying on the bed in the master, with fans on and windows open. I see no harm in it. Is it the safest way to for them to travel? Probably not, but it works for us. How many of us as kids rode in a car seat? I'm guessing most of us survived ... (here's your chance Ron! )
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.