Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Traveling with my Dog!!!

I need some help. My family loves going camping and we need to take my dog along but we don't have any room in the cab of my tow vehicle. What with my wife, 3 kids and myself. Do any of you travel with your dog in the trailer? If so how do you keep them cool on long hot summer days? I'm not above sticking one of the kids back there but Im sure that will cause more harm than good.
ronorr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Our dog curls up at my wife's feet, or if I flip the centre up then on the bench between us. And she's a Weimaraner, so she's not a small dog (~60-80 lbs).
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorr44 View Post
I need some help. My family loves going camping and we need to take my dog along but we don't have any room in the cab of my tow vehicle. What with my wife, 3 kids and myself. Do any of you travel with your dog in the trailer? If so how do you keep them cool on long hot summer days? I'm not above sticking one of the kids back there but Im sure that will cause more harm than good.
Open the roof vents if you have MaxAir covers or similar and put the dog in the trailer. DO NOT put one of the kids back there as in most states, it is illegal for people to ride in a trailer.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My toby rides in the pick-up bed.
Hasn't even attempted to jump out in his 12 years of existence.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

We would open up a window or two part way to let the air circulate as well.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

DO NOT put one of the kids back there as in most states, it is illegal for people to ride in a trailer.

You'd be surprised at how many states that it is legal to ride in tt or 5th wheel.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You'd be surprised at how many states that it is legal to ride in tt or 5th wheel.
I would crate them for their protection against getting into something, sliding and slipping, or flying objects, or worse case scenarios. A crate will be like a safety cage. Make sure they have water and a comfort chew toy for anxiety. Keeping something with your scent in the crate will also be comforting. Try to get her to spend time in the camper in the meantime, so she's familiar with it before her first journey. Reward the dog after her journey with treats and high praise. Let her out in intervals and that is also a good time for rewards and high praise.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Regardless, it is not a smart thing to do and what are you going to do if you go from a state where it is legal into a state where it is illegal? Dumb move anyway you look at it.

16 states allow it: AZ, CA, IA, IN, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NJ, OR, SD & WI.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Toby
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130719_103117.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	35734
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
My toby rides in the pick-up bed.
Hasn't even attempted to jump out in his 12 years of existence.

Turbs
They only do it once.
Great looking dog, by the way.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

Apparently some of you are not getting my sarcasm. I will not be placing any of my children in the trailer it was just a joke. Thanks for all the help though you guys rock!
ronorr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorr44 View Post
Apparently some of you are not getting my sarcasm. I will not be placing any of my children in the trailer it was just a joke. Thanks for all the help though you guys rock!
Was going to suggest DW, so there would be peace & quiet, but...
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Was going to suggest DW, so there would be peace & quiet, but...
My wife has a micro-switch. 10 min down the road and she's asleep. Cool, think I'll listen to a little Neil Young, for the next 4 hours!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

They only do it once.
Great looking dog, by the way.
True......
I don't see it happening.
He lays down and goes to sleep till he feels the rig slow Down then he gets up to look around.
If nothings amiss he's back to sleeping duty.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
True......
I don't see it happening.
He lays down and goes to sleep till he feels the rig slow Down then he gets up to look around.
If nothings amiss he's back to sleeping duty.
Now that is one great travelling dog!
It is surprising, to me at least (I own a GSP), at how many dogs do ride in the back of pickups. While down in Wyoming, I couldn't count all of the ranch trucks that went by with a dog in the back, up on the toolbox, or feet up on the boxside, checking out what's passing by. Down there, mostly blue healers and border collies, but all very well trained.
I know for a fact that if I had my pointer in the box, the first bird that flushed out of the ditch, and she would launch!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Sadly I have a friend that lost his best friend a black lab, that either jumped out or fell out and was ran over by the back wheels. Needless to say he was devastated. They make some really nice diamond plate dog boxes you could put in the back for your "best friend". The guilt would be tough to live with....... Personally I would not chance it. I agree with OC just because it is legal to ride in the trailer does not make it a good idea, I know he was just joking but with some people you never know.......
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post

I would crate them for their protection against getting into something, sliding and slipping, or flying objects, or worse case scenarios. A crate will be like a safety cage. Make sure they have water and a comfort chew toy for anxiety. Keeping something with your scent in the crate will also be comforting. Try to get her to spend time in the camper in the meantime, so she's familiar with it before her first journey. Reward the dog after her journey with treats and high praise. Let her out in intervals and that is also a good time for rewards and high praise.
I agree mostly...We don't put water in our pointers crate. It'll splash around and make the bedding wet. But we do stop every two hours, or less if its really hot, to let him out to stretch, drink and potty. Our setter sits in the cab with us. The crate is for his protection as stated. Never had a problem. Keep your exhaust fan on and even purchase a 12volt clip on fan if you think your dog will need it.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our dogs ride in the trailer, laying on the bed in the master, with fans on and windows open. I see no harm in it. Is it the safest way to for them to travel? Probably not, but it works for us. How many of us as kids rode in a car seat? I'm guessing most of us survived ... (here's your chance Ron! )
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote