Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Unleashed Dogs = Dogfight

Wife was walking our big yellow Lab, Gunner, yesterday and a big black lab ran out from a travel trailer and attacked our dog. They were walking IN THE ROAD, she walks the dog on the side of the road where there aren't trailers, lets him go there and then puts it in a bag.
Gunner isn't quite 2 years old so is in reality just a huge pup, he weighs about 95 pounds. We keep him leashed or when out on our patio I have a tie out with an 8 ft lead on it where I tie him up and he can lay on the patio with us.

Wife said she tried to pull Gunner back and she was screaming at the other dog but the other dog just kept attacking, and Gunner gave the other dog a sound thrashing. Good boy Gunner, good boy.

The other dog's owner heard the screaming and ran out and got his dog before Gunner hurt him real bad. wife said she was about to let go of the leash so she wouldn't get bit, she couldn't get away because as she pulled Gunner away the other dog kept coming.

I was happy to hear her tell me that a permanent resident also ran out and asked where the dog came from and she told him, he was mad about the dog being loose. So I assume he'll turn the guy in.
KingFisher is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

To add, I'm appalled at how inconsiderate some people can be.

One guy with labradoodles walks them into the empty site next to his and lets them take a dump.
People let their little snack dogs run loose and they run over by my trailer and yap, and then Gunner gets aggravated and barks back. (I call them snack dogs because they'd just make a small snack for my dog) They also dump and their owners obviously don't pick it up since they're not around.

People walk their dogs in between trailer lots to get where they're going.

A guy walked by the trailer with a big brown lab, it started growling, Gunner growled back. I said They probably just want to make friends, I was trying to be nice.
Guy says You want me to bring him over and see if they get along?
After I got over my disbelief I said Not unless you're strong enough to pull him out of here if they don't.

It's like I see something astounding every day.

Good grief.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #3

To finish this up just in case some people might post something about my dog being aggressive, he isn't.

I took him to the Tampa RV Show and we walked all over that place. 3 hours. Strange people, strange dogs, he never growled at anyone or anything.
One little dog did run at him and he took one step and bumped noses with the little guy, and I got a mean stare from the big woman holding the dog. I just laughed and moved on.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

Dogs are dogs....Dogs will be dogs. You can't trust any one more than you can trust any body else's. Nobody that leaves their dogs loose thinks they will bust off....but they all will eventually. Every campground we've been to, we've seen at least 1 50lb girl walking the 80lb lab.....like she would stand a chance of holding on to the leash.....people have too much trust in the 4 legged variety.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

I get very irritated at camp grounds when people just let their dogs go to do what ever they want and like you said the owners don't clean up after their dogs. I don't care how well behaved you THINK you dog is, the rules state they must be on a leash. I have seen bad dog fights in camp grounds because of how well behaved your dog is and it attacked someone else's dog. And one thing to keep in mind not everyone likes dogs.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Glad Gunner and your DW weren't seriously hurt! Nothing aggravates me more than pet owners that don't keep their dogs secured....no matter the size!! We recently were out hiking with our Fuzzheads and met 2 small dogs on the trail....no leashes, no people in sight!!! Luckily they stopped before they got to us, so I started yelling for the owners and they were about 150 yards behind the dogs just strolling along. After the dogs were secured we walked by, I mentioned dogs must be on a leash at all times per the state park regs and I got a non-chalant response of "Oh we thought we the only ones here"

Irresponsible people like that are the reason there are so many restrictions on where you can go with dogs.

They are also the same people that are all shocked and dismayed when their pup runs off or does something bad.

anyways hope everyone has a great day

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

This is the reason our dogs are banned from many areas.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Talking to the choir here I am sure, but I often hear our dogs are well behaved and do not need to be on a leash as they are in the road barking at ours. The owners say I just do not know why they did this. Then they say bad dog that dog would make you lunch. Basically the rules do not apply to us. I do understand the dog that escapes and that does happen but not the norm. The dogs are in a different area and not at home they will act and react differently.

At home our dogs are loose in the yard and rarely leashed. I do not always pick up their waste........... but at the campground if they are outside they are leashed and I always pick up their waste.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Wife was walking our big yellow Lab, Gunner, yesterday and a big black lab ran out from a travel trailer and attacked our dog. They were walking IN THE ROAD, she walks the dog on the side of the road where there aren't trailers, lets him go there and then puts it in a bag.
Gunner isn't quite 2 years old so is in reality just a huge pup, he weighs about 95 pounds. We keep him leashed or when out on our patio I have a tie out with an 8 ft lead on it where I tie him up and he can lay on the patio with us.

Wife said she tried to pull Gunner back and she was screaming at the other dog but the other dog just kept attacking, and Gunner gave the other dog a sound thrashing. Good boy Gunner, good boy.

The other dog's owner heard the screaming and ran out and got his dog before Gunner hurt him real bad. wife said she was about to let go of the leash so she wouldn't get bit, she couldn't get away because as she pulled Gunner away the other dog kept coming.

I was happy to hear her tell me that a permanent resident also ran out and asked where the dog came from and she told him, he was mad about the dog being loose. So I assume he'll turn the guy in.
Glad nobody/dog was seriously hurt.

DO NOT assume the guy who came running out will report what happened.
Even if he had witnessed the situation, it is not his responsibility to report this to anyone. Your wife was the one involved. You should gather your facts, accompany your wife to the office and report the conflict yourselves in a respectful manner.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

I understand you and I feel with you.
My lab mix ( I'm guessing lab and a horse- he has long legs like you never seen before) is so attached to me- he never runs off and when I walk with him, he never goes away than 10 ft, mostly even walks beside or behind me on my heels. I still have him on a leash while daily walking- because I know- he loves chasing squirrels. He is 2 and scared of everything what makes noises, he hates small rooms and it took me almost 2 years that he jumps in the truck by it self. he goes along with everybody and every other dog ever seen. yes- he's a big baby. his name is Dixon- but I just call him pooper. When I call him- he comes to me immediately- I never had to be loud with him. But there is the other side- there is one dog in our neighborhood- he seen him the first time and since that, he don't like him. it's always a pain to pass the people with our dog, without a barking match. Sometimes I wish my buddy could talk, that I at least understand, why.
At the camp ground, I have him on a 20ft leash. We usually choose sites, where we have large area on the lake for us (we found the spots) and a lot of privacy. A lab needs to run every once in a while, on those sites, I can throw his red rubber ball (he refuses to play with anything else than his red rubber ball). The only time he barks is, when someone comes up.
So far so good.
I was dog trainer years ago and I trained mostly giant Schnauzer (that's what I grew up with and we was in the Schnauzer club.) There is one rule I learned. If dogs get in a fight- let them go. don't try anything- except you have a hose and can spray them with water- anything else results in injuries. also even if dog fights look somewhat gruesome- usually they quit, when they figured out, which one won. learn the body language and you will understand. You will even already know 50 feet away what will happen, just watch the dog- they know already. Also dogs are like humans- they see each other and know I like the guy or not. The most important thing is- most fights start, when the dogs are on a leash- they can't go nowhere and that's like you're with the back to the wall. when they have room and the possibility to go away, in 90% nothing happens- maybe a snap or a growl.
I'm actually more afraid of untrained dogs, than from trained.
The only thing what aggravates me is, when dog's don't listen, which is clearly the owners fault. in my opinion, people who can't train a dog to listen, should not have a dog. period. And this can be learned- there are training facilities available. My dog even comes back, when he is about to walk to another dog- I say "no" and "Dixon- here" and he turns around and comes back to me- and get's his treat.
but what is unacceptable when people let their dog run over other peoples site on a camp ground. I don't even like that when neighbors dog's run over my yard. for me, it's just plain rude. I believe, everybody is proud of their poochies, but it's like with everything- not everybody has to share your love to your dog.
I just try not to do, what I would not like, when others would do it.
But life would not be life without surprises- you can minimalize the risk, but you can't zero it. If you have a dog, you always have to expect the unexpected. I know you are upset about it- but things happen- and if the dog was permanently loose- yes, I agree- but if it was an accident- or maybe even the collar broke, like I had once, where my lab was just 1 and a Chihuahua came to our site and he just wanted to play (our poodle is the aggressive one - lol) and that plastic clip broke in 1000 pieces and the Chihuahua almost had a heart attack...- I solved that too- now he has a harness.
Good luck and don't be too mad- things happen and there ain't nothing you can do about it.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Chrisf65 your Dixon sounds a lot like my Nicky (Nickolaus Kringle....aka Goober) He is a big goof, super smart and obedient but always "secured" whenever he is outside his home turf! Because your comment about "expect the unexpected" is 100% spot on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	128690  

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #12

Interesting. People seem to take advantage of rules and have little regard for others rights.

Sad situation
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Interesting. People seem to take advantage of rules and have little regard for others rights.

Sad situation
That's true in a lot of instances in life. Unfortunately

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 01-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

I think your dog was defending the lady and itself. I have 3 Boxers and when I go places I always feel like I am getting the "stink eye" from people who don't have dogs. I'd like to think I am the over aggressive keeper of my hounds and try to be as respectful as possible. After all, you are living in tight quarters with people who just may not be dog people.

Glad both were ok, but it sounds like you were staying near some jerks.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Glad nobody/dog was seriously hurt.

DO NOT assume the guy who came running out will report what happened.

Even if he had witnessed the situation, it is not his responsibility to report this to anyone. Your wife was the one involved. You should gather your facts, accompany your wife to the office and report the conflict yourselves in a respectful manner.

X2!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

That's my Pooper.

The problem is plain just different way of thinking and as old as life on earth. what is ok for the one is a offense to the other- what's a offense for you, is a pleasure for someone else, where one sees no problem, where it ruins your weekend.
I try to arrange my self with it and yeah- I don't let stuff like that ruin my hard earned free time on the lake.
And most problems occur anyway, when people don't talk to each other and if, going straight to fighting mode. Ain't worth it.

Always happy camping y'all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dixon.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	128693  
chrisf65 is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
That's my Pooper.

The problem is plain just different way of thinking and as old as life on earth. what is ok for the one is a offense to the other- what's a offense for you, is a pleasure for someone else, where one sees no problem, where it ruins your weekend.
I try to arrange my self with it and yeah- I don't let stuff like that ruin my hard earned free time on the lake.
And most problems occur anyway, when people don't talk to each other and if, going straight to fighting mode. Ain't worth it.

Always happy camping y'all!
Well said!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #18

We have the same issues when camping. We have an 10 year old yellow Lab and a 10 year old English Setter. They are never off leash, even when swimming. We don't understand why so many people think the rules are for everybody but them. Last visit to Buggs Island (Kerr Reservoir), 2 small dogs from the nextdoor site kept coming over to our site. Our dogs were not happy to say the least, and the folks there never leashed their dogs or even apologized. We finally had to say something to the park ranger, who took care of the situation. Another favorite is First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach, but there are always big dogs running loose there.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #19

Off leash dog is always in the wrong when engaged with leashed. For us, pepper gel and stun stick are carried. Sad to go that far. Used twice in last 6 months. Saved injuries for both dogs. Reported to animal control. The gel is easy to control, has a dye, and does what we need it to. Well, part of me wishes we could get the bad handler too, but the law makes the dog pay for the bad handling.
Dp26 is offline   Reply
Old 01-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #20

My biggest fear in campgrounds is off-leash dogs. We have two rescue dogs and our 85 pound pit bull rescue was a "bait dog." Which means he was covered in bacon grease, muzzled, and thrown in a ring for other dogs to practice attacking. Which means he is very dog reactive. He is fine when he meets a dog slowly and properly, but on multiple occasions (in campgrounds and in our own neighborhood) we have had off-leash dogs run up to us and a fight has ensued. When you own a pit bull, if you are a responsible owner, you NEVER let them off leash - even in the middle of a dog fight - because the pit bull will always be blamed whether he started the fight or not. I do not want my dog euthanized because some other irresponsible idiot let his dog run loose. So, I carry a golf club with me on walks, and trust me, I have used it and will use it again on any dog that runs up to us as and causes a problem.
Closed Thread