Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #41

Adopt a dog

Try a google search for a Cocker Spaniel (or any other specific breed) rescue group. A good way to satisfy both of your wants & give someone a second chance!!
cd4620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #42

It is always a tough choice to make. We always loved camping in a tent. Once we purchased a dog we needed to upgrade to a travel trailer to have a safe secure air conditioned shelter. Plus we could leave it within with less worries. Temperament was our main concern. We ended up purchasing from a reputable breeder. We were able to research both parents. We knew exactly what we were getting. Health checks and some simple basics were taught to the dog before taking owner ships at 8-10 weeks. The costs was at a premium nearly $3k. But all was justified and would do it again in a heartbeat. We ended up with a non-shedding Hypoallergenic 8th generation Australian Labradoodle. No obedience issues, great temperament with anyone and great with children and other dogs..parrots..cats. UPS or USPS or FEDEX no guarantees...lol
arthager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #43

My Vote is cocker spaniel. Shadow, our 4 y/o Cocker Spaniel, is our 3rd one in over the last 25+years from the same breeder. He loves to travel, well behaved. One thing we wanted in a dog was one that had hair vs. fur. Bad thing he has to get his hair cut ever few months or so. With the COVID, my DW gave it a go for some time and he was well behave but still a lot at our age trying to get it done ourselves. Now I won't say that any dog wouldn't be great, I've had everything in my life from German Shepards, an Irish Setter, we even had a small toy poodle when we were kids. Any as pointed out go to a breeder not a pet store. Breeders have a lot more control on how the dog is born and raised. Usually you'll pick up the dog at the breeders so you can see the place it was born in and how the breeder takes care of the parents. Even adopting one is a nice option, as well. We adopted our irish setter when my DW and I got married many years ago and she was great. Anyway you'll not what dog you want when you see it. Wish you luck!!
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #44

Dog

We have had both. I like the idea of saving a life on a local kennel dog. I also like the idea of seeing the parents and knowing what I am getting. Our local kennels are full of pit bull mixes. Experience has told me these can go either way. Our current dog came off a sporting dog rescue site, a Vizsla. He is very active and they are a extremely healthy breed. They call them the “Velcro” dog, as they like to be next to you. Even in the forest, he rarely goes more than 50 yds away. Similar to a Cocker Spaniel w/o the eye issues and less hair shedding. Ours loves to hike, kayak and run. He is the best camping dog we have had.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestbrun View Post
Hello, everyone.

We've finally decided (actually, I've finally got my wife ready) to get a dog next spring! A dream came true!
We would prefer a cocker spaniel, but we're not necessarily stuck on that. We would also like a mongrel.
We are both dog experienced, but as this will be our first dog together, we want a puppy. My heart tells me to go to the animal shelter, but my wife decided against it.
However it is also clear that we will not support any poor breeding. The animal should be healthy and happy in the first weeks of its life. I will also have a close look at the parents.
So I am trying to persuade my wife that we should get a dog from the animal shelter. Does anyone have any tips and good arguments as to how I can still convince her?

We had a wonderful x breed, specifically Jack RusselxAmericanEskimo. He was on the top end of small dog- knee hi, 30 lbs (= -). Extremely intelligent, ran like the wind, and very easily trained. He did require lots of walks and activity, which we gladly gave him. He was 15 when he had to be euthanized, but his health was excellent otherwise. We have known of many mixed breed rescue dogs such as ours and have heard of very few problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120521-00022.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	245148  
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #46

Pleas consider rescuing instead of a pet shop. Pet shops buy from puppy mills where the mother dogs are treated horribly. If you can find a broader locally where you can go see how the dogs are treated then buy direct from a broader. We did that when we bought our Border Collie. She kept her dogs in her house on a farm and they had open fields to run in and train in. She kept her females comfortable inside where they birthed comfortably with all the care they needed.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #47

Sorry for the long response but there are some principlaes to adopting the right dog. My wife and I have owned eight greyhounds or greyhound mixes, one rescued from a shelter, and we are partial to the breed. They are unique dogs because they rarely bark and love going for a long walk every day. They are lazy gentle dogs but they can never be off lead because of their drive to hunt small animals, so many are not cat safe. We don't like cats so that's a non- issue. We adopt them when their racing careers are finished and they blend very quickly into a new household. We know the breed before we adopt.

Our other dogs train the new guy in our household routine without us having to say a word.

People have described unpleasant issues with dogs, such as throwing up on a ride. Almost every dog issue comes from his owner(s). For example, people will feed their dog a big breakfast before a long trip, put him in the car and wonder whey he throws up. A small breakfast or a sea sickness med can help with that issue. Vets and dog trainers can always help fixes for these little irritations.

Some owners will let the water dish out all evening, watch the dog drink constantly and then wonder why the dog pees in the living room at night. There are many training and medical techniques for dealing with almost every doggie issue. Take up the water dish at 6PM, walk at 11PM. Easy peasy.

People of course just blame the dog, when it's almost never the dog's fault.

No one so far has nailed the most important criterion for adopting a dog: you need a dog that matches your energy level. If you are 26 years old and run five miles a day, you woud not want a lazy, sleepy hound dog with short legs who hates exercise.

Conversely, my 75 year old cousin's children gave her a Jack Russell terrier puppy. She lives a sedentary life on her couch and drives to the store once a week for exercise; Jack Russells are highly active dogs who need to be kept busy or they will eat your furniture. Multiply that x2 for a puppy. Bad match. Not the dog's fault. Rule #2 of dog adoption is always that It's the humans fault if there a bad match between the human and the breed they select. It's always the human's fault if they don't do their homework.

A former co-worker went out and adoted an Australian shepherd puppy for his two toddlers. He didn't know that these herding dogs will try instinctively to herd his children ... by biting their ankles with their little puppy needle teeth. The children would run screaming as the puppy chased them. But he was very cute!

Many small breed dogs bark incessantly. If you don't want a barker, look for breeds that are less hyper. Don't adopt a Yorkie and complain becasue he barks; you could anticipate that going in and, again, it's not the Yorkie's fault.

So, you can always adopt a certain breed or breed mix from a shelter, but know that all dogs have certain tendencies from breeding. You will need to plan to spend some time with any new dog to teach them that you are the boss and there are certain rules they must follow. You can't lecture them ("Now Fido, I don't want you on the couch..."), you have to show them and make it easy for them to get what you're asking them to do. Food rewards are a great start. One great way to help a new dog settle in is to take a long walk every day and help them understand and interpret their new world. This also helps empty out the dog on the walk (fewer accidents) and tire out the dog so he's pooped for the rest of the day. We always say, A tired dog is a good dog.

Just research the type of dog you are getting and you will be ahead of the game. I have found mixed breed dogs to be a little more mellow because they don't have too much of the traits of any one breed. Then plan to spend hours helping your new pal to get to know you and what you expect.

There's no question that a shelter dogs give you a tremendous selection of traits that any selected breed puppy cannot. If I adopt a greyhound to be a watchdog, I will be very disappointed. They might lick a burglar to death but that's about it. You can adopt a Yorkie from a reputable breeder but he's still going to bark like a Yorkie.

Another suggestion is to get rid of your preconceptions about the color or specific look of an adoptable dog, as superficialities like that just don't matter.

There are thousands of dogs in shelters who are very sweet and just need a home. We would never buy a dog from a breeder, nor would be get a puppy. Adult dogs are easier to train and less chaotic than a puppy. Adult dogs want to please you while puppies have no idea what they are trying to do.

Breeders breed to make money and while many are reputable, I don't understand why people need to breed thousands more puppies when the shelters are full and wonderful dogs are being killed because there's no more room for them. From the prices they charge, it is clear that breeders breed to make money off people who are suckers for a cute puppy face. Breeders aren't going to kill their puppies if they're not adopted in a month, but shelters can and will kill dogs who remain at the shelter too long. If breeders can't sell their puppies, hopefully they may breed less and give the shelter puppies a shot at a life.

Adult shelter dogs are usually housetrained (or at least crate trained) and ready for a new home. Just tell your wife you should go "look." If you walk through a local shelter, it's very likely that you will be a dog owner when you leave. Don't just look for a cute face. Look for the breed traits you want. look for a dog interested in you. Often, the shelter dog will pick you. Dogs have a sixth sense about the people they prefer.

Best of all, a shelter dog will love you forever for giving them a home.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #48

Of our last three dogs one was dropped of at my friends gas station. The next was a shelter dog and the one we have know was left at the dumpster site. He was there 3 days before we took him home with us. I couldn't have asked for or picked any better.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #49

Smile too much work!

If you are lucky enough to find a cocker at a shelter, that would be a miracle. My problem would be the breed it self. They have floppy hairy ears that need to be cleaned all the time or else! Also they get long hair if not groomed well. I suggest a smooth hair dog, yes they shed but very little grooming needed & less ear issues. Pure bred cockers also can have other health problems (eyes, heart). Also having a smooth hair dog in an RV is just less messy, when raining or muddy. I travel with two dogs all the time and show them, all year all over the country. I love terriers but they are usually very active... Just my 2 cents!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #50
BMullins46

GO TO THE SHELTER!!! There are so many loving dogs at the shelter just waiting for someone to come along and rescue them/be rescued by them. All of our dogs have been shelter rescues. We have a collie and a lab that travel with us.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #51

Rescued a LOT of dogs over the years. Never brought one home we wanted to take back. They have all been wonderful. Dearly miss those that have passed.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #52

Cockers rock fore sure. Love them. From Buff, to Tri-Color to full Black, we have enjoyed three Spaniels for the last 25 years. They will be our buds forever. After our last passed we inherited a smaller breed from our oldest son during a move to another state. These days we have a Lhasa Alpo by our side. As a smaller breed they can easily adjust to a pillow spot above our heads protecting our lives according to them during our RV travels. Cockers no doubt could easily meet the same responsibility but at the bottom of the bed.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #53
MCTroy

Adopt! I have gotten 3 excellent dogs from shelters. Each was already potty trained and beyond the chew everything in sight stage. We like black labs as they are great for camping. They LOVE people, hiking and travel well. And are usually quiet. One if our current digs, Millie wishes you good luck on your adoption. Our spoiled Golden retriever couldn't be bothered for a pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201228_185851.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	245153  
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #54

I would suggest a Springer Spaniel. They are a somewhat docile animal that are extremely loyal to the owners. Notice I have included plural owners. Some breeds are only attached to single persons in the family. They are also great dogs if you happen to be bird hunters. They are also great with children. Had ours for over 12 years.
bprovost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrx View Post
If you are lucky enough to find a cocker at a shelter, that would be a miracle. My problem would be the breed it self. They have floppy hairy ears that need to be cleaned all the time or else! Also they get long hair if not groomed well. I suggest a smooth hair dog, yes they shed but very little grooming needed & less ear issues. Pure bred cockers also can have other health problems (eyes, heart). Also having a smooth hair dog in an RV is just less messy, when raining or muddy. I travel with two dogs all the time and show them, all year all over the country. I love terriers but they are usually very active... Just my 2 cents!
Obviously you either never had a cocker spaniel or never did your homework on them. Breeders of cocker spaniels like many pure breeds have been working with each other for years to resolve health issues resulting in the early breeding techniques of old and have come are improving their health. I'll admit any dog, including a cocker spaniel, that has floppy ears need to keep them clean to assure they don't develop a yeast or ear infection. Its not a daily thing but maybe once a week or less. As for grooming it depends on how you want them to look we don't worry about that as ours has beautiful black curly hair so its basically cut it once every few months to keep him cool and brush him a few times a month, as we live in Florida. But I've had both dogs with fur and with hair, I'll say after over 60 yrs. of both I'd take dogs with hair. To me way easier to take care of. Whether it's a rescue mix breed or a pure breed, with fur or hair, big or small in the end its up to both of you to decide as it has to feel right for you since it will become part of your family for years to come.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #56

Smile Your right

Your right about one thing, I never had a cocker. But I do have two friends that breed and show them. I’ve been breeding & showing dogs for over 25 years and just prefer short coated dogs for cleanliness & their looks. Again my 2 cents!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #57

We got a cocker two weeks into our marriage 38 years ago - Brandy loved DH and hated me and DD when she came two years later

Very high maintenance for grooming and dumb US never got her spayed so guess what happened the day before we brought baby DD home from hospital......yep you guessed it....she went into heat so Mom had a new baby and a dog mess to clean up after since Dad got to go to work every day LOL

She was our spoiled rotten Burr Head and lived a long life in the country but we never got another one after her.....switched to Labs and still have one today...we said Jackson is the last one when we got him 8 years ago but you all know how that usually turns out - a home is TOO quiet without a greeter every day after having one for your whole life

Best wishes on your decision - no such thing as a BAD dog IMHO
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #58

Best wishes on your decision - no such thing as a BAD dog IMHO

I agree. No bad dogs, only bad owners.
Thanks to all of you who give needy dogs a forever home.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #59

Getting a dog

I think that getting a dog is a wonderful idea. I got one dog from a shelter, Aggie, a miniature schnauzer. She had an eye infection when we got her but regularly putting medicated ointment into the eye cleared that up.

We had her for 12 years before she began to have recurring seizures every 15 minutes or so. We made the hard, hard choice to have her put to sleep.

She was a joy in our life for 12 years. She was 16 y.o. when she was put to sleep. Schnauzers do not shed and are wonderful pets. We miss her so much.

We also had a black female cocker spaniel before Aggie. Missy was a joy in life. She only lived 9 yeasr due to her running out into the street and getting hit by car
raaems605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #60
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin in the woods View Post
The best way to convince someone to get a shelter dog is to go to the shelter "just to look".

Absolutely agree. Go to look and one of those babies will steaal your heart, or maybe three or four of them. We fully support and appreciate those that adopt.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote