Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #101

My wife brought home a six week old puppy from a shelter that was listed in the local paper. An entire litter was dropped off with a note "Some G** D****ed Rottweiller got to my Border Collie". Her mom was a working dog and she turned into the best dog either of us had ever had. Getting a puppy from a shelter works really well, they're usually "mutts" which are normally healthier than pure breds. Getting a grown shelter dog is a toss up, but you can usually take it back if it doesn't work out.
Our shelter here in the Sierra foothills of CA is a no-kill shelter. They and the four neighboring counties rotate the dogs until they get "adopted". I think this works because we're mostly rural and dogs are just a part of life out here.
We also have breeders that do things like "quieting" and get big money for their pups. They cut the vocal cords of puppies so they can't bark, which is really popular with city folk.

If you're taking the dog on trips, don't get a Border Collie or any large breed, get a Cocker or something else that's little and calm. I'd strongly suggest you get two puppies to keep each other company when you're not around.
Just a side note: I have a Border Collie and a Great Dane mix, so don't know what's going to happen when I go full-time in the Spring. They're wonderful companions but not such great "K9 Citizens". It's going to be a big adjustment for all three of us, moving off the "farm" to living on the road for a few months. It's going to be an adventure!
Good luck with your K9 choice and enjoy you new dog!
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestbrun View Post
Hello, everyone.

We've finally decided (actually, I've finally got my wife ready) to get a dog next spring! A dream came true!
We would prefer a cocker spaniel, but we're not necessarily stuck on that. We would also like a mongrel.
We are both dog experienced, but as this will be our first dog together, we want a puppy. My heart tells me to go to the animal shelter, but my wife decided against it.
However it is also clear that we will not support any poor breeding. The animal should be healthy and happy in the first weeks of its life. I will also have a close look at the parents.
So I am trying to persuade my wife that we should get a dog from the animal shelter. Does anyone have any tips and good arguments as to how I can still convince her?
I’m glad your getting a dog as my life would be incomplete with out mine. I’ve been training and rescuing dogs for 25 years and we’ve had 9 rescues and counting. Some have come to us in older age and passed away but that’s ok. It doesn’t seem ok at the time because it rips at mine and my wife’s hearts.
My situation is different because I specialize in aggressive behaviors. Being a strong willed person has its rewards when working with severe behaviors. Anyway the issue I have with cockers is the need for grooming and trimming. It’s a pain and time is precious. They are good dogs though as I’ve had 2. At this time we have 2-chihuahuas and a
Staffordshire terrier. All who have been rescued from the animal shelters.
If you take your time and contact rescues you can find a dog for you. You will have to train it and realize the time it takes. I have my girl trained to hunt groundhogs, track deer and she runs with me to keep in shape. Having her on hand commands and voice commands has been a game changer. Exercise is the dogs best friend especially one with some anxiety or other behavior issues. Be patient and realize seeing the parents will be almost impossible. Here is my girl Geisha the recused terrier who had awful anxiety from being used as a bait dog. She is now 8 years oldish and we got her at 2ish and is a wonderful dog as all my rescues have been. All have died from old age except the 3 I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA5BE9DD-F89D-4C30-87D8-CFA026E08AC5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	245390  
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #103

Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestbrun View Post
Hello, everyone.

We've finally decided (actually, I've finally got my wife ready) to get a dog next spring! A dream came true!
We would prefer a cocker spaniel, but we're not necessarily stuck on that. We would also like a mongrel.
We are both dog experienced, but as this will be our first dog together, we want a puppy. My heart tells me to go to the animal shelter, but my wife decided against it.
However it is also clear that we will not support any poor breeding. The animal should be healthy and happy in the first weeks of its life. I will also have a close look at the parents.
So I am trying to persuade my wife that we should get a dog from the animal shelter. Does anyone have any tips and good arguments as to how I can still convince her?
For us, any animal is a nuisance. Especially dogs. They are high maintenance even if you have time to take care of them. Our cat died last year and we have decided not to get any more pets. I missed him at first but as time has gone by, I miss him less and less. I think back and along with the good times I remember cleaning up the barf, cat hair everywhere, feeding him and constantly putting water out for him. And then the vet bills. And with a dog, most of them bark and don't mind unless you take the time to train them which most people don't. When we go to a camp ground it seems eveybody has a dog and all you hear is barking dogs everywhere. Dogs off of leashes running through everybodies camping spot crapping all over the place. No thanks. We will stay petless without all the hassles of owning one.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
You are certainly not going to see the parents with a shelter dog. We have a great Black Lab that we "rescued" from our local shelter. He was about 1 1/2 years old, and actually had heartworms. But there was (is) a program that paid for the treatment, since he was in the shelter for so long. So we took a chance. We certainly don't regret getting him, even though he has a couple of quirks (he's strong enough to jump the fence and chase the coons). But he unfortunately is not a camping dog. We found out he's a puker. We can't get more than a few miles down the road before he pukes. We even have dramamine for him, and he still does. But we still don't regret getting him. He is a neat little (well, not so little) dog.
Forgive me for the long post but this struck a chord with me and I felt that I should share our experience of our "rescue" dog and traveling. Also, if you your wife needs a reason to get a shelter dog have her read this. Another thing IMHO a "Well-bred dog" does nothing but line the pocket of some breeder.

We have a rescue chow chow fake black lab that would not ride more than 3 feet before letting go of his lunch. We tried everything and it broke our heart having to leave him while we went out camping. Not to mention displacing our son for almost 2 weeks watching him as he had to leave his apartment to watch the dog. Yes we have a great son. We, including our son, could not see boarding him in a kennel. As he might take it, he was being left again. We also tried Dramamine and even some pet spray from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGTM5IG/ref=dp_iou_view_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Which worked for a time to some degree.

After a while we learned the dog was anxious with us gone also. Licking himself raw in places while we were away. We then went back to the vet and bought some Trazadone and started with this: 1 pill the night before we left for a trip (8 hours). The morning of the trip we gave him another 1 1/2 pills an hour and half before we left. With this he would just be calm enough to travel and still not be doped out his head. Now we just did not stumble into a routine but talking with vet before and after our trips, we would increase or decrease the dosage and time. After a while we got to where it was only a half pill before we left and then a half a pill every 8 hours depending on traveling time.

Now we do not just leave our dog locked in the TT the entire time. Even before COVID-19 we were not given to eating in restaurants or visiting high traffic tourists’ traps. We will occasionally treat ourselves and go out but most of the time we are outdoors hiking and biking while we geocache. Sometimes traveling 6-8 hours from base camp, hiking for a few hours, and making the long drive back to camp. We rarely sit still while camping. So, finding the right dosage while at base camp and taking our chow chow fake lab with us was a trick also. But we got it figured out no problem.

Now the funny part is after a year the dog started to refuse the pills no matter what we put them in. Seems he is a smart a put together a long car trip to being feeling a "little goofy". That and he finally realized a car trip does not mean he is going to dumped off and left behind. I firmly believe that is where the angst and anxiety come from. Poor dogs are dumped and then find themselves homeless or a kennel with 50 other barking anxiety ridden dogs wondering what they did wrong to deserve this.

We are now to point that we no longer give him any meds or spray or anything before we leave. He knows that on the other side of the trip that we will be there with him and it means lots of fun and running around.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #105

Mixerman...it's the owners who are a nuisance, not the dogs! Our dog never barks, never gets into others' camp sites and we pick up after her. We are responsible dog owners who consider a dog a part of the family.
Simsaklac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
This thread is causing trouble; our current shelter dog, a retriever-Sheltie mix, is near the end of her life. We've had Sophie for over 10 years. My wife and I are also old and have agreed Sophie is our last dog because our next one would most likely outlive us. But because of this thread, I just opened petfinder.com "just to look". Bad mistake!
We were there are 2 husky's older and died on us we to said no more. ! month later house was so quiet I told my wife we need one home yep we found a mid size shepherd we name her Lady and she sure turn into one. Myself have PTSD found a local trainer and said she was a natural. She save me more then the other way around and yes she was a pound puppy 1year and 4 months and a real sweet heart. My Grand Daughter said don't worry she will always have a home made my wife and my day. Who said young people don't care???
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerman View Post
For us, any animal is a nuisance. Especially dogs. They are high maintenance even if you have time to take care of them. Our cat died last year and we have decided not to get any more pets. I missed him at first but as time has gone by, I miss him less and less. I think back and along with the good times I remember cleaning up the barf, cat hair everywhere, feeding him and constantly putting water out for him. And then the vet bills. And with a dog, most of them bark and don't mind unless you take the time to train them which most people don't. When we go to a camp ground it seems eveybody has a dog and all you hear is barking dogs everywhere. Dogs off of leashes running through everybodies camping spot crapping all over the place. No thanks. We will stay petless without all the hassles of owning one.

Boy, have you got it wrong. You do not have to take dogs to a trainer to make them obedient and quiet. I've had several dogs, and they jumped because I trained them to listen to me, not a trainer. Cats are more of a pain than dogs. You don't have to keep a litter box for dogs, they come to you let you know when it's time to potty.

Have you any children? They are more of a problem than a dog. And dr bills are a lot more. Did you give them away because they were a problem? I'll bet NO.

Rid yourself of your baggage and enjoy life. But with your attitude, leave the dogs alone, for someone else.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsaklac View Post
Mixerman...it's the owners who are a nuisance, not the dogs! Our dog never barks, never gets into others' camp sites and we pick up after her. We are responsible dog owners who consider a dog a part of the family.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's the owners who don't take the time to train their dogs so less people should own dogs. But dogs are still a hassle to own. Life's a lot simpler without having a dog. You said your dog doesn't bark. You are in a huge minority. Most dogs won't shut up even when the owners tell them to. Goes back to training. I know it's not the dogs fault but if the thoughtless people peoplein didn't own the dogs in the first place then every body else wouldn't have to put up with them.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Boy, have you got it wrong. You do not have to take dogs to a trainer to make them obedient and quiet. I've had several dogs, and they jumped because I trained them to listen to me, not a trainer. Cats are more of a pain than dogs. You don't have to keep a litter box for dogs, they come to you let you know when it's time to potty.

Have you any children? They are more of a problem than a dog. And dr bills are a lot more. Did you give them away because they were a problem? I'll bet NO.

Rid yourself of your baggage and enjoy life. But with your attitude, leave the dogs alone, for someone else.
We had children and we did take the time to train them and of course we didn't give them away. It took time and I'm glad we did. But they are grown up now. You say dogs are less of a hassle than a cat. When we go camping, we're not full time campers, we left the cat at home. It used the cat box which I would clean out when we got home, after a usual 3 or 4 day outing. With a dog you either would have to pay for a kennel or take the yappy thing with you so everyone else in the campground could/ would have to listen to them too. And I didn't have to follow my cat around to pick up cat crap like you do with your dog unless you like stepping in it all the time. And I think it would be disgusting to have to pick up warm dog crap with my hand even if it's for a dog crap bag on it. That's gross. And we didn't have to spend much on doctor bills for our kids. Yes, we were fortunate our kids were healthy most of the time. But vet bills can also get very expensive. At least our kids are now contributing members of society. What can dogs contribute besides barking non stop. Most people don't have dogs for a reason, though it sure seems like it when we go to campgrounds. If people would be more responsible in training their dogs, people like me wouldn't dislike them so much. But that's never going to happen so less people should own dogs.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #110

I want people to pay attention to the one's who complain about dogs. Seems to be the same ones IMO. Complain about barking what about load music,party s al night,shoot of fire works, my service dog is better then people in most cases.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post

Couldn't agree more than what you said.... obviously "mixerman" should never own animals, in general, since he doesn't seem to be in check with reality about even owning a dog. Lot's of people shouldn't because they aren't prepared to take care of one. Over 50% of the people in America own dogs and though I'm sure there is some that shouldn't, there is probably about 99.9% that should. It's why they become service or emotional support dogs. They feel your pain and sadness then turn it into joy and happiness for us. Do dogs have health issues sure probably no more than humans but the companionship and happiness that they bring to the table far outweigh the downside of owning one. I've grown up with dogs and currently have a great Cocker Spaniel that as helped me, personally, get through some tough times, medically, these past 4 yrs. my DW and I wouldn't give him up for the world. Like computer, if you put crap in, you get crap out. You treat a dog without respect and don't train him then it would be no different for what they do in return so enjoy life and your animal whether it's a dog, cat, bird, etc... they are part of the family.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerman View Post
... You said your dog doesn't bark. You are in a huge minority. Most dogs won't shut up even when the owners tell them to. Goes back to training. ...
Training can influence how much a dog barks but it depends a lot on the dog. Some just bark a lot. We've had two Boxers, neither of which ever barked much. It was just their personality and our good luck that they didn't.

DD has a young well-mannered mixed-breed rescue that suddenly decided at 5 months old that barking was good. Training (and age?) is reducing it but I don't know that it will ever stop completely. I wouldn't want her camping next to me.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #113

owning dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Couldn't agree more than what you said.... obviously "mixerman" should never own animals, in general, since he doesn't seem to be in check with reality about even owning a dog. Lot's of people shouldn't because they aren't prepared to take care of one. Over 50% of the people in America own dogs and though I'm sure there is some that shouldn't, there is probably about 99.9% that should. It's why they become service or emotional support dogs. They feel your pain and sadness then turn it into joy and happiness for us. Do dogs have health issues sure probably no more than humans but the companionship and happiness that they bring to the table far outweigh the downside of owning one. I've grown up with dogs and currently have a great Cocker Spaniel that as helped me, personally, get through some tough times, medically, these past 4 yrs. my DW and I wouldn't give him up for the world. Like computer, if you put crap in, you get crap out. You treat a dog without respect and don't train him then it would be no different for what they do in return so enjoy life and your animal whether it's a dog, cat, bird, etc... they are part of the family.

I grew up with dogs. Back then, I had more tolerance for dogs. Our daughter talked us into letting her get a dog when she went into the seventh grade. Then she left for college and left the dog for us to take care of. That's when I started not liking dogs. And then it seemed every where we moved, our neighbors had barking dogs. They'd bark and bark and bark, non stop. And they come in our yard and crap in our yard besides their own. Then I'd step in it and track it into the house. I have a lot of reasons for disliking dogs and I don't see why people are so enamored with dogs. People must not have enough problems so they create more by getting a dog. Makes no sense to me. But you are right, I shouldn't own a dog but a lot of other people shouldn't own them either, just the ones who take the time to train them. Probably why so many people can't get along with their neighbors cuz they own dogs that don't mind.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #114

This guy joined late October and has 30 posts, probably all in this thread. Nothing RV or FROG related. Why is he here?

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
This guy joined late October and has 30 posts, probably all in this thread. Nothing RV or FROG related. Why is he here?
If I'm not mistaken this is in the section labeled pets. So I'm going out on a limb here but he posted about getting a dog and was looking for suggestions in this pet section. I agree nothing to do with an RV or Frog other than this forum has this pet section for people to post and as expected lots of interesting information and comments 😀!
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #116

He is not the OP.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
I can’t read through all the threads but please adopt if at all possible. Not all shelter/ rescue pets are perfect, but neither are all pure bred pets. But one thing i know in my heart is that rescued animals are grateful for their homes, and they desperately need them.
There probably wouldn't be so many dogs that need to be rescued if the people who get them would hang onto them but too many people get them thinking that it would be a nice thing to get a dog only to find out that it is way harder to keep a dog than they thought it would be. Dogs can be destructive if left alone all day whole the owner is at work. If they come home and the dog has destroyed belongings which can't be replaced or which costs a lot to replace, out goes the dog. They either take it back to the place whether they got it or take it out some place and turn it loose so some people just shouldn't get a dog in the first place. They can be a pain in the you know what. Not always but enough that the animal rescue places are over run with dogs.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #118

I've had shelter dogs all my life. Some were great some were quirky just like people. My belief is it's a lifetime commitment and if you're not ready for that don't get a dog. Take the good with the bad and respect your neighbors. Nobodies perfect and neither are pets.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #119

We are looking for a dog

We have 2 rescue pups adopted full grown but when we wanted to try the Boston life we went to a breeder. We now have 2 of them too. The Bostons are the best at traveling they love riding in the coach. Our rescues don’t. They stay home with our daughters. Our zoo a Plott hound a Puggle and the Bostons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	245736  
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:01 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry can not support any shelter after my wife was turned down and my young son's both left the shelter crying. They fell in love with a lab we wanted to rescue. ................... but.................

We were deemed unfit since we would not collect the neighbors cats, and the deer that roam our property and have them fixed.

Over the years we have rescued several dogs that were adopted to fit parents that could not take care of them.......we have had 6 dogs that we rescued .........none from a shelter.
Yea, we had the same experience...these rescues and shelters can be real nazis. Having to interview to get a pound puppy mutt is ridiculous, but O.K. but going through multiple layers of this intrusive treatment, and also be asked to pay the same as a breeder puppy and then being turned down? Even though you own a home with a yard and are employed? some of the places/orgs have lost their way.

Every time I have looked at getting a dog, I started with a shelter and every time, I was treated so poorly, I got a pure bred breeder puppy...German Shepard, Shar Pei and Yellow lab.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote