Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
We have left our lab for short periods in both the motor home and fifth wheel. We have Direct TV with the Dog Channel (354) on and don't have any problems.
Huh, I never knew there was a channel for dogs. I'll have to have our dog check it out. Thanks!

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #22

I am looking into several apps that turn your smartphone into a pet monitor that can be viewed by another phone. You can also speak to the pet as you are watching them. We travel with pets but are always nervous if it's hot. If the air quit it would get hot inside quickly. You could have a large thermometer sitting in camera view. I am also looking at baby monitors that can be accessed by phone.

We do have a stroller. It is enclosed with a dark mesh. We have gone into stores with it and most people don't know you have a dog in there. I try to look like a befuddled grandpa while grandma shops. People walk by and smile none the wiser.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #23

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Speaking of the camera idea, we actually do have that at home. I have a web enabled IP camera in my living room and anytime we're out we can look in on her in her crate on our cell phones from anywhere. Most of the time she's sound asleep.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #24

I second the nanny cam idea that you can view from your iPhone when away. I purchased one for my dogs & when I was having construction done. But mostly for the now ex neighbor who used to help herself in large quantities, baggies full of various food, dog biscuits, Tylenol, 1/2 pie, etc.,...that she'd fill her purse full from my kitchen when I was'nt around.��
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #25

My travels are just me and my dog (high energy) so we have developed a good sense of taking care of each other; I sometimes have to wait on him to finish his biz and he has learned to wait on me to finish mine. When we do a day of driving, I stop every hour or so for both of us to stretch our legs. When I leave the campsite, I usually just take him with me and find appropriate parking, keeping in mind that shade right now will change later. He has water and some chow and waits me out. I will drop by the truck every few hours and let him have some romp-around time somewhere nearby, then I go back to whatever I'm visiting.
But I will add that this is our same routine we have developed together at home, too. I almost always take him with me every time I head out, even to museums, social events & parties, he just stays in the truck. He can count on me to come by to let him out every few hours. It seldom happens, but if I have to be really away for hours with no chance to check on him, then he stays put in the trailer with appropriate set-up. My vizsla doesn't bark except for curtilage violations, and he knows from our history I'll be back at some point. I've never encountered any park "authority" getting involved in my family affairs with rules and such... but we don't draw any attention, either.
This works for me. While we're on the subject, don't forget to use bringfido.com to find pal-friendly eateries.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #26

We are blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
Our dog is always inside when we do a shopping run. Most campgrounds have rules about leaving them outside and unattended. Also, I would be worried about somebody taking ours. He is a very handsome Siberian Husky that doesn't bark and loves every person that he meets. I would rather be safe than sorry.
We also have a husky. She is the best camper buddy around. We have even got complemented on how well behaved she is from the neighbors at 2 places we've been at. She happily goes in the camper when we go out on excursions. I always thought the same about someone taking her because of her beauty and her good manners. Once we went to a yogi bear campground and I swear our dog got more attention than yogi and Cindy bear. We take her everywhere we camp and if they don't allow dogs we'll go somewhere else.
jcnobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Pull down all the shades and play radio. Give a neighbor your cellphone number to call if your furry baby is attracting attention.
I agree with this, I also tell my neighbor I will be gone. I also had a RED sign made that I hang on the door saying that Please rescue pet inside with my cell # on it. I have never had a problem but my dog is not an aggressive barker either.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
It's even worse!
Most (?all) national parks won't even let you take your dog on park trails on a leash anymore.
They also have rules about leaving your dog in the RV unattended.
So, what's a hiker with a dog supposed to do? We often go on multi-hour hikes.
My solution is to not camp in national parks, thus depriving myself of my part of my heritage.
I also was kicked out of Yellowstone when our friends in the government shut down the country a couple of years ago, but that's another story.
Same here. I have had my fill of National Parks; even swearing this year to take the long way around Yellowstone vs. driving through that mass of selfies and traffic. So I stay only in National Forest and BLM campgrounds, where dogs are welcome. Just as many, if not more hiking trails, and the scenery is just as good. (Heck the best two arches in the Moab area ARE NOT in Arches National Park.)

They are with me at all times; except if I have to run into a grocery store or service station for food, at which time I leave them in the truck. These are for short runs, no more than 10 minutes, and have never had a problem. Since I have a popup, they are good for a run to the vault, but I would not think of leaving them inside alone for more than maybe 10 minutes.

They are very friendly, unless I am not there, and then I would advise someone not to put their hands inside the truck.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #29

I will never leave my dogs unsupervised outside. I too have a beautiful and very friendly Golden Retriever whose nickname is LoverBoy. I don't want to risk him being stolen. Many years ago, I did have another very friendly Golden who was stolen from my yard at home. After that heart wrenching experience, I never take any chances. I did happen to find a locking leash w/ key that I carry with me, but rarely use unless we are walking to a camp store.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #30

We have a soft side kennel our dog stays in when we are gone. Bought just for the RV. Most people don't even know we have out dog with us as she is very shy and timid. Would rather stay inside than sit out with us during the day or evening.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #31

We wanted to check and see how our dog would act while we was gone. So one weekend we went camping and the campground wasn't very busy. So we decided to go into town and wanted to leave our dog at the camper since it was hot out that day. We set up our video camera so it would record what was going on in the camper while we was gone. It was very helpful cause we found out that she did fine while we was gone and only became restless we returned.
2001 Keystone Bobcat 289FBS
lstall00 is offline   Reply With Quote