Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
2) Put the dog in a kennel when on vacation (may be your 2nd best solution)
I'm not sure anyone addressed this, but make sure you are not using a kennel too large. Dog do not want to lay in their own mess... unless of course your dog is damaged. LOL

I too have Boxers and they sleep on each side of the bed in my FW or.. in it when it is cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitzi & Shockey.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	123933  
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #22

The first campground manager you encounter, who cares about rules enforcement and the other guests in the campground will set you straight on where your dogs may be both day and night. Go online and check the campgrounds rules before you camp. Save yourself and the campground much agony.
Roger Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #23

I was talking about a private kennel near your home town where you pay a daily fee for them to house your dog...you have to check them out, but some are very good based on my experience.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You don't say where you camp. If there are animals in the campground at night ( large or small ) it would be a bad idea to have a dog in a tent or fenced in area. If you are concerned about control issues in the RV, I would try a crate.
X 2. The absolutely best way to housebreak any pup is the crate method plus, they equate the crate as their 'safe' place. Been doing that for years and it always works.

I'd never keep a dog outside in any campground. That is asking for trouble.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #25

"The absolutely best way to housebreak any pup is the crate method"

Per the owner
"I have tried crates, and even covering them before in hotels while working with him. He just pees on anything I cover the crate with, which makes even more of a mess"

Good luck with that reliable method. I think we are talking about an adult dog with a severe behavioral problem who already is comfortable pissing in his crate.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #26

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
A quick demonstration, of exactly where the dogs are supposed to sleep ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150615_092631_251.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	123936  

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #27

Like sidecarflip, I trained my 75 lb Boxer Mace to sleep in a crate at night.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
We crate our three monsters outside under there own easy down or under the awning. We camp where coyotes roam but after a few returned howls from our three, not a peep from the coyotes. Hard sided crate should be fine.
IF you must keep your dog outside, I feel this is the best temporary advice--in a HARD-SIDED crate BUT, INSIDE an attached, screened in porch.

I said "temporary" because you have a very intelligent dog. An old(er) dog can definitely learn new "tricks", even if the trick is to not pee on everything! If you do enough research, are diligent, and have enough time--train him not to pee everywhere. Otherwise, ask other dog owners or local doggy day care centers to recommend a good/reasonably priced trainer. Don't pick just anyone to train your dog--I learned that the $$$hard$$$ way.

Good luck! Please let us know how you make out.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #29

Cats on the other hand are an ENTIRELY different story....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #30

Get your dog a belly band. At least then he will keep it to himself.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
Sorry. We would take them when we go mostly to beach sites and such where there aren't any large animals.
Trust me they are out there. We had our 85 lb Doberman tied out a really thick cable and and a heavy duty clasp. He picked up the wiff or saw something worth going after. He broke that clasp like it was nothing and it took my husband a 1/2 hour to find him. His name was Tank.

I would start working with him now and with the other one so there is no domination issues that spring up. Like someone else has posted a hard side crate would be better. Plus if he has to lay in it, that may very well break him of it. When we tent camped we put them into our vehicle. No problem unless someone who was not suppose to be there tried getting in, but never had that problem.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
Get your dog a belly band. At least then he will keep it to himself.
Times 2 on the belly band for your male. We travel with two retired greyhounds, one male and one female. I would never leave my hounds outside alone, that would not be safe.
BTW, put a maxi pad in that belly band so that it won't leak!
Shamrock 21SS
pennypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #33

We are full-timers since early 2014. Our rig is a FR 43' Sierra 5th wheel. We travel all over North America (covered about 40K miles so far). We have 2 Golden Retrievers. They solved the sleeping arrangements real quick!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Faith & Foater - last one to bed.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	123943  
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #34

I guess it comes down to no one really cares where the dog is kept at night or during the day, so long that it makes NO NOISE. Cause if it does, the camp host or ranger will be called and if in a dispersed site, cages accidentally open.

As for peeing....your dog; your house, your TT; not the problem of others.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #35

Put them in a crate in the MH while you are away or sleeping
Judymakem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #36

I've not read all the posts but here is what I would do. Put tarp down with pee pads under crate, take dog out just before bedtime, give treat to dog, crate and get up early and take dog out. If no pee then another treat. If pee, no treat and bad dog talk. Tarp will protect area around crate and we pads will soak up most of the wet stuff. Problem solved
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #37

Have you thought of diapering the dog?

https://peekeeper.com/

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #38

We travel with our dogs, ,one is a Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix.. no problems with her, but I got my mother's Bichon after she died and he wants to pee on everything... admittedly he is only about 20#, but I bought things called Belly Wraps that are easy to use on dogs and they are washable and come in different sizes.. I have 16 of them for when we have the dogs in at night and I can put them in a large zip lock (2.5Gal) bag and wash them when I get home. Here's the link on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshoe View Post
We travel with our dogs, ,one is a Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix.. no problems with her, but I got my mother's Bichon after she died and he wants to pee on everything... admittedly he is only about 20#, but I bought things called Belly Wraps that are easy to use on dogs and they are washable and come in different sizes.. I have 16 of them for when we have the dogs in at night and I can put them in a large zip lock (2.5Gal) bag and wash them when I get home. Here's the link on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That Belly Wrap is a cool idea.

Just thought I would pass on a simple trick I learned with my female Shepard. She was not fixed as I wanted to let her have a litter before doing that. When she would be just out of "Season", I would put a set of a boy's briefs on her butt, backwards, so the tail went out what would be the front.

If you have a female that is not fixed, you will understand...

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #40

I did not take the time to read all the post so I'm sure someone has already said this. Our dogs are family and should be inside the RV at night, In Idaho they may be consumed by critters if left outside at night. So I would recommend get a large dog carrier just before bed time take him outside and make sure he goes then put him in the carrier and lock the door he will hold it until morning then first thing take him outside. Soon he will learn not to pee in the house durning sleep hours or if in the carrier. It become his safe place never scold and put him in there he will learn fast.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote