Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Wireless Fence

Has anyone used the wireless fence in their trailer?
We have it at home and it does a good job of keeping the pup in her yard.

Should add, we do plan on keeping her on a leash, but thought about taking the "fence" with us in case she decides to dart out the door or got loose somehow.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would need to try it. As I recall, the dog needs to be taught the boundaries visually as well as through the collar, which is something to consider for your particular dog.

There are portable systems you can use that use a radius that might work for campsites. I think this could possibly work at a site you stay at consistently (like a permanent spot). It might be doable for a spot you have long enough for the dog to get used to the boundary.

I wonder what effect this would have on the dog when you get home after multiple trips?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

We had to "train" her with the flags when we first got the system and I think she got zapped a total of two times before she quit going near them.
Now, if the collar starts to beep, she turns and goes the other way.
That is why I was thinking that it might work in the camper also, hopefully she would always be on her leash/tie out, but would like some type of emergency STOP for her since she only listens when she decides it might benefit her. LOL
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

I know nothing about the invisable fences but wouldn't it get alot of interference using it with / in a metal trailer ???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

I thought about getting a wireless fence for our dogs. I decided not to do it as the area of containment is a circle. This would cause a problem in most of the camp sites I have stayed in. When you make the pattern big enough for the dogs to get around the end of the RV the dogs will be able to go to the RVs on either side. It's been over 3 years since I checked these out so there may be some pattern adjustable systems out there that could create a rectangular containment area.

I would try a wire system where you put the wire in something like a garden hose so the dog can see it. Then you can line the camp site with it.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

I have a Tri-Tronics Basic G3 electronic dog training system. When my dog does something I do not want him to I use a warning tone/beep. If he continues, he gets a low shock. If he continues yet again or more, he gets a bigger zap. The only time he is on a leash is when we are in a very populated area. It acts as an invisible leash. When people tell me I need to leash my dog I tell them if he is a problem I will be the first to leash him. He actually behaves better without a leash since he is so good with the dog training collar.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

We had the invisible fence brand professionally installed at our home three years ago. We have a portable rock that I add wire to around our campsite. When it's a new campsite we place the invisible fence flags around the site as well as the wire. We then walk our two labs around the perimeter to show them the limits and we have never had any issues with them leaving. We have used it at least in 10 different campsites. The flags also let others know you have an invisible fence. When we take them for a walk we take off their e-collar, always exit and enter at the same location on the wire, and place an entry mat over the wire. It is shocking how quick they learn the system. Strongly recommend.
2SGMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Anacortesians

We had Invisible Fence at our home in Everett a few years back. It worked great. Our present home has a fully-fenced back back-yard, so IF isn't needed.

I think the cable needs to be buried, but maybe one that was encased in a clearly visible hose would work in the campground environment. You'd probably need to get the dog trained to recognise the boundaries. At Everett, we had a second system that kept the dogs out of the formal living and dining areas. It was mounted on the floor joists under the house.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Markb5900, I just saw an ad yesterday from Tractor Supply that had a Petsafe wireless unit that stated the containment area can be customized. I didn't read the set up manual, but it can be read on line. If it can be truly customized the only question then becomes how easy is it to customized the area for each camp site.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

I tried to use my wireless petsafe fence at our campsite once. It wouldn't work with the receiver inside the camper. I moved the receiver outside the camper and the dog would get shocked if he went inside the camper. You have to plug the receiver outside and take the dog's collar off when he wants to go in. The metal on the camper interferes with the signal.
fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't tried it with our dog. The one time we did try any kind of shock collar she just shrugged it off.

But I did see a couple of little yappy things get shocked at one campground. They were on a seasonal site so I assume they've got the kind with a buried wire.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fields View Post
I tried to use my wireless petsafe fence at our campsite once. It wouldn't work with the receiver inside the camper. I moved the receiver outside the camper and the dog would get shocked if he went inside the camper. You have to plug the receiver outside and take the dog's collar off when he wants to go in. The metal on the camper interferes with the signal.

Thanks for all the responses.
This is exactly what I was wondering.
The little thing HATES when we take her collar off. I swear she thinks of it as jewelry or something. If we take it off, she just keeps nudging at us till we put it back on her.

Thanks again
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #13

We have 2 dogs with an in ground system at home on all the way around the house. One of our dogs, Zoey will follow someone all the way around a big sweeping corner. Since we have 2 dogs, we needed 2 collars, buying an extra collar was just as expensive as buying a second fence system. We put the spare one in the camper, I run the wire around the camp site, put up a few white flags and rugs over the most walked area's to prevent tripping. Works great! I use a drill to spool it back on to the wire holder at the end camping trip.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #14

Should work fine :)

I haven't tried it in a trailer yet, but I think it should work fine...I think the main thing to worry about isn't about whether the device will work, but whether your pup will respond to the electric shock. Most do. But you'd be surprised how resilient others are.

Cheers
Baggio
Old 10-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I bought one for the camper and never used it. (Now sold)

One issue is with "issue." As most (if not all) campgrounds require a leash at all times when the pet is outside and also require cleanup immediately; letting the dog loose in the wireless enclosure will result in "loads" you can't find and leave for others to discover.

It is also unfair to the dog who will be confused about where his territory is since you can not set up the flags at every campground. A dog charging the perimeter will not know where the warning occurs and stop. This results in unnecessary shocks and can cause severe anxiety behavior.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Newbee

Actually... The wire type do not need to be buried. We had dalmatians - one could clear a 6 foot privacy fence!!! We bought the 'buried invisible fence, draped it along the top of the fence and a couple shocks and we had her trained!!! Also, if the wire had been buried at the base of the fence, she would have been 6 ft over it when she jumped!!! The good thing was that she could retrieve - or catch varmints right to the edge of the fence!!! Now we use the radio zone type fence. When the collar looses the signal - it vibrates and buzzes. The current two dogs immediately back up and go a different way... They walk the perimeter of the 'vibrate / buzz - and know where they need to stay!
BuckeyeJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote