Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

Amish Family RV Service

Hello All-

I just had my front and rear caps replaced last week in Topeka, IN by Orvan at Amish Family RV Service. I cannot say enough about Orvan. First class service all the way. I have a '14 that was about 6 months out of the 2 year original warranty but Forest River (Cedar Creek) really stepped up and agreed to replace both caps at no charge, if I came to Topeka. Was told the factory was booking well into mid next year but they would fully cover Orvan to replace it and he was only booking a few weeks in advance. My father had his CC caps replaced about a month ago and was completely satisfied with his service.

While there we had the chance to visit a few factory's and was completely impressed with the quality and workmanship of the CC. In fact, during the tour, our guide mentioned that they have low turnover and described a long time employee who recently left and was basically crying on his way out the door. She was describing Orvan. They think the world of him at the factory and send him a lot of business. Both my father and myself feel like we received our CC back from Orvan completely reconditioned. To the point I don't think I will have anyone else touch my CC except Orvan. He can due warranty work as well. I was slightly hesitant to write this post because I really don't want to "share" him but I so strongly believe in the quality work that he does that everyone should experience a service call with him. Of course this is all my opinion. I know there are plenty of other service techs out there who do wonderful work as well, I just wanted to give him props!!!

Attached are a few photos of the cap replacement and then a couple of photos from our factory tour!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	124021

Name:	IMG_2842.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	124022

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	124023

Name:	IMG_2840.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	124024

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	124025
Cedar Bunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

He sure does great work, he did some work for me on my Creek. I hope to let him work on my Creek next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

Good to hear!

I too am the proud owner of a 2014 CC. I'm the ssecond owner and do not YET have fading caps since the first owner stored it inside. It now is outside 24/7 so the "dreaded fade" is inevitable...I fear. I am expecting to have to pay for replacement/painting. My questions are: Are the replacement caps Orvan installed better then the OE? If so, how? How do I reach him...(did a search but did not find a listing)? For those paying to fix...how much should I expect to pay for paint?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
Good to hear!

I too am the proud owner of a 2014 CC. I'm the ssecond owner and do not YET have fading caps since the first owner stored it inside. It now is outside 24/7 so the "dreaded fade" is inevitable...I fear. I am expecting to have to pay for replacement/painting. My questions are: Are the replacement caps Orvan installed better then the OE? If so, how? How do I reach him...(did a search but did not find a listing)? For those paying to fix...how much should I expect to pay for paint?

The ones Orvan installs come from the factory, same caps. Since your cap has not faded it probably won't. The cap fade is not just one manufacturer, they all use the same clear coat. I met someone on this trip and there camper was stored inside and the cap still faded. When you call him just remember that Orvan is Amish and he has no phone in his house, it's outside. His number is 260-593-0951. He is better than the factory

Old 10-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Yes. Regardless of installer. FR has other very good referrals in the area as well.

Cap fade was a major PAINT AND SEAL flaw. New process used on these replacements. Let's continue to applaud FR for not arguing and stepping up. I had 2 fades within 12 months; then replacement.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Amish Family RV

Orvan and his crew have worked on my 2016 CC and prior to that my 2007 CC. All his work is top notch. We live in Alabama and make the trip to Topeka annually. I would also give high marks to Denise Davis and the support from the Cedar Creek that they give to their customers. One of our deciding factors in moving to a new rig was the past support we have received from CC and the excellent work from Orvan.

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

My 5er never sees daylight due enclosed locked storage. Been watching to see if I get cap fade but so far not yet. I expect when we start to travel more we might get the dreaded cap fade but for now it is holding up. Ours is a 2015 but I have heard those with 2015's also had cap fade. Oh well that is life owning an RV. Wish I had bought the full body paint. That is what I wanted but no one had one at the time and I did not have the patience for waiting. Maybe the next one will be full body paint.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

x2 on orvan
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

We were just back to that area to pick up some custom Amish built furniture that we ordered at the FROG rally. We drove past his place on our return home on Thursday and I was thinking to myself "I bet this guy does good work!" Thanks for letting us know about your good experience!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #10

Orvin Fry is the BEST. As was mentioned Orvin was a long time employee at the factory. He and his Dad are the true Amish craftsmen. You won't go wrong having Orvin do anything. He has replaced axles and everything above them.
wbonta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #11

Omish Family RV/Orvan. Ditto on all the compliments for Orvan. He took excellent care of my CC last summer. Will be visiting him again the next time I am near Topeka.
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #12

Those pictures are from his shop?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Those pictures are from his shop?
The first 2 pictures and the very last one are from his shop. The 3rd and 4th pictures are from the CC Factory. Was able to do a tour while there.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
Good to hear!

They are the same Caps that come directly from the factory. The rear caps are now painted but the front ones are still molded. But he described something that was left out in the process on the original Caps that caused the fading. He said the news caps "shouldn't" fade but there is never a guarantee.

The only way to reach him is via phone @ 260.593.0951. You will probably have to leave a message and his wife will call you back.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #15

Thanks for the info. I will certainly use them if required
Regards Wayne
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #16

We Can't say enough good things about Orvin Fry @ Amish RV. After working @ Cedar Creek for many years, he was finally able to fulfill his dream of owning his own RV repair shop. We stopped at the CC plant with our 2015 36CKTS custom, on our way cross country in Aug. 2015 with a number of major issues , which are to many to list. Denise Davis and Jeff Holmes service was outstanding. They sent Orvin to our campsite in Shipshewanna after his shift to attend to some of the problems, so we could continue on our trip. On our return trip two months later , we left our CC in Orvin's care at his new shop. He inspected and fixed everything from top to bottom. He is very knowledgeable and an ace at his trade. His workmanship is top notch !! It is a long trip from Long Island , NY to Topeka, but it is well worth it !!
fmcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_Piper View Post
Orvan and his crew have worked on my 2016 CC and prior to that my 2007 CC. All his work is top notch. We live in Alabama and make the trip to Topeka annually. I would also give high marks to Denise Davis and the support from the Cedar Creek that they give to their customers. One of our deciding factors in moving to a new rig was the past support we have received from CC and the excellent work from Orvan.
Does anyone have a tel # and extension for Denise?...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #18

Although I completely understand why this thread was moved I respectfully disagree. Even though they can work on any RV, they pretty much only work on Cedar Creek's. By moving the thread I think many CC owners could miss the essence of the thread. So in reality this thread only pertains to CC owners. IMHO
Old 11-24-2016, 01:24 AM   #19

Personally, I wouldn't let the Amish touch anything of mine. Been around them; lived around them. Too many horror stories for me.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #20

The ones I have met seems like nice people to me. There is bad people everywhere, I plan on taking camper back next year so he can install a few items for me. He helped me out a bunch

Tags
service