Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2024, 07:49 AM   #1

Blue Compass in Rural Hall, NC (formerly Bill Plemmons)

Colleagues,

After reading @ibexowners2023 post about the Blue Compass in Benson, NC I suspect that the problems with Blue Compass are company-wide. We had a bad experience last summer with the former Bill Plemmons store in Rural Hall, NC.

Blue Compass had bought The former Bill Plemmons store a year or two before they changed the signs etc to reflect the new name. I stopped in the week of the name change to have a potential water heater issue checked that turned out to not need anything

While there I asked about another issue. The slide room actuator that pushes the slide room out and in had broken and I had to close the slide manually. The issue was just with the actuator tube that passes through the frame, not with the motor or gearbox. I was prepared to open and close it manually for our next trip if need be.

They quoted me $1900 to replace the actuator for the slide room. They said it would take 2-3 hours for 2 guys.

It's a $504 part at full price from Lippert with free shipping and can be had online for around $350-375 from multiple sources. I bought the part and my wife timed me while I replaced it by myself..... in 48 minutes. And adjusting the alignment of the slide room to account for settling during the previous 6 years and to re-center it in the wall opening took an extra 15 or so minutes.

It's been working fine since the repair. And counting tax I have less than $400 in the repair. So my advice would not be to walk away from Blue Compass. It's be to RUN away from Blue Compass.

2012 Expedition EL 5.4L V8
2017 Cherokee 274RK
Rosie, a 6 YO red tick American-English coonhound
LanceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:50 PM   #2

It definitely pays to be willing to search online for a fix and perhaps get your hands dirty.

IMHO, the only practical way to own a RV
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:43 AM   #3

As an update to post #1, I was confusing two different service stops at the dealership. The water heater stop was last spring while the place still had the Bill Plemmons signs up. The trip last summer (Aug. 15, 2023) was to have the slide actuator looked at.

I had already priced the part and seen the Lippert YouTube post on replacing it so when I was quoted $1900 with 2-3 hours labor for two technicians I new they were full of manure.

The Lippert part number is 145595 and the MSRP has gone up to $525. And while I don't expect a dealer to pass the savings along to me the part is available with free shipping from Amazon or Walmart for $305 as of the morning.

I've scanned the quote from them and sent to the Blue Compass rep who responded the thread started by Ibexowners2023.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nc-274912.html

Best regards to all,

2012 Expedition EL 5.4L V8
2017 Cherokee 274RK
Rosie, a 6 YO red tick American-English coonhound
LanceR is offline   Reply With Quote