Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #21

Just remember that a Royal Flush beats a Full House every time.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Like it doesn't cost them to put in the dump sites? Are we not becoming an "entitlement" society? Unbelievable!

Agreed. I thought this post was in jest- but the OP defended it. The dump station wasn't free to install, service, or have. It's beyond comprehension that someone would expect this for free. Just because they used to and now don't isn't reason for that much angst or a call for boycott!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:36 AM   #23

Personally I do not mind. Paying the 5.00 is cheaper than going 30 to 50 miles to find a free one carrying an extra 400 - 500 pounds of #&$!#**× in the tank just to save the cost of a Starbucks
Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
It's illegal to pump your own fuel in New Jersey too. Only Oregon and New Jersey disallow it.
Thanks Lloydg, didn't know about NJ to....

Old 07-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #25
Site Team

I can see both sides of the coin here..... but I think the main gist is that they are now charging for a service that they used not to.

By the same token, then there shouldn't be any problem if their public restrooms become pay toilets either. It costs to install, clean, and provide them also.......and according to the vocal majority here, those costs too should be passed on to the customer directly instead of indirectly thru the prices on the products they are selling.

Many businesses are already like this with the pay toilets, and if you've ever visited New Orleans, you find out quick in the downtown area around Canal Street that you pay to potty. Even the McDonald's there won't let you use their bathrooms unless you are a paying customer.......... but this may have more to do with the drunks and/or transients than anything.

Imagine how you would feel, if say for instance you were in Wal-mart, Lowes, Costco, Sears, or similar and found out that they were now charging you a $1 to use their toilets. You would be upset at first, and probably accuse them of being too greedy. After awhile, once you found out that was the case in all the stores, you may learn to accept it...or not, and take your business elsewhere. That's really all the OP is stating, where he was used to a service being free, that is now being charged for.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyodie View Post
X2
x3
Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If five bucks it to much check with local waste treatment plants and the county fair grounds, both are "free" around here.
For now.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #28

What a crappy subject. I don't see an issue with them charging to dump, but then, I never stay where I don't have full hook up.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #29

Cabela charging $5 dump fee

Somebody has to pay to get a "honey wagon" in to Cabela's to pump out that holding tank. At my last house, it cost me $150 to have my septic tank pumped just once a year. I'm sure Cabelas has to have it done a whole lot more often than that (or else they have the world's biggest holding tank). I have no issue with Cabela's charging a dumping fee.

Kent
Old 07-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Somebody has to pay to get a "honey wagon" in to Cabela's to pump out that holding tank. At my last house, it cost me $150 to have my septic tank pumped just once a year. I'm sure Cabelas has to have it done a whole lot more often than that (or else they have the world's biggest holding tank). I have no issue with Cabela's charging a dumping fee.

Kent
If it does go into a tank, depending on local laws it just may dump right into the cities sewer system.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #31

Cabela's in Reno gives you free use of the dump station if you buy something else $5.00. Sounds fair to me. I don't expect Cabela's to provide a free dump station if I am hot shopping there.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #32

I'd gladly pay $5 to dump my black water if I couldn't do it at my previous campground or my home.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #33

We just paid 12.00 at a local state park to use their dump station. $5.00 sounds pretty cheap to me
Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Like it doesn't cost them to put in the dump sites? Are we not becoming an "entitlement" society? Unbelievable!
X3

Maybe if this $5 trend continues it will become a profit center for other places and the options we will have for dumping on the road will increase very much. It costs to run a septic or connect to city sewers. I don't expect it for free.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #35

Dump fee and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Is That at the main office CG in Neb. That's the only one that I know has a CG. But they will pick you up at your site and return you for free from the store in an ATV. I found a lot of places charging now like Flying J, Loves and many others. Maybe not all but there seems to be a theme here. You pay at a full hook-up site too it's just built in. Ask for Water and electric only same about 5.00 cheaper. But most CG let you dump for free on the way out, but your still paying either way with the rates they charge now. Why boycott, you think that will change anything? they will just close it down for camping. Then you can go down the road and pay 49.00 per night. All comes down to choices which we all still have.... Damn you have to pay for air now to fill your tires. Now that upsets me being I was raised with full service stations and fuel is at least 75% higher. Only State I know you can't pump your own gas is Oregon.
Come East young man. WAWA has free air and NJ is another state you cannot pump your own fuel.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #36
Site Team

Little friendly site team reminder to try and keep the political posts out. We did a cleanup on this thread and want to keep it open.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #37

We boycot Cabela's most of the year, unless we leave this wunderful state that has free compressed air with fill up and head to a state that has a Cabela's.

As the old saying goes "you pay to play", I think $5.00 is about 400% below their coat.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #38
B47

This issue of now paying for a previously free service has many different opinions,but in the end,it all comes down to personal beliefs and choices of how to spend ones money and where to spend it.

As far as us becoming an "Entitlement Society", what's the difference between a person shopping around for the best or cheapest price for a service or product and a person not wanting to pay for a service that was once free? It all comes down to how and where you will pay for a service.

If you don't want to pay the $5 fee at Cabelas,then don't. If you think it's worth the $5,then pay it and dump away.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
This issue of now paying for a previously free service has many different opinions,but in the end,it all comes down to personal beliefs and choices of how to spend ones money and where to spend it.

As far as us becoming an "Entitlement Society", what's the difference between a person shopping around for the best or cheapest price for a service or product and a person not wanting to pay for a service that was once free? It all comes down to how and where you will pay for a service.

If you don't want to pay the $5 fee at Cabelas,then don't. If you think it's worth the $5,then pay it and dump away.
Excellent summation, B47.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4pilot View Post
Just noticed last night that Cabela's installed Credit Card Fee collections at there previously free dump stations. Probably cost thousands to install.

Pathetic corporate greed!! I'll never shop there again.

Boycott anyone?

REALLY, ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Do you have any idea what it costs to put a Dump Station in.... I'll bet it's over $30,000.00.

I am thankful the Cabela's near my house has a dump station by the way if you are a Cabela's Club member there is no charge for the dump station just go in and ask for the code.

I'll bet you're a big Walmart shopper, when was the last time you used their dump station free or otherwise.
Closed Thread

Tags
charging