Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 35
Camping World Concord, NC

Be careful of what you leave in your camper when its in CW of Concords possession. Ours was in for some warranty work and one of their employees stole our X-Box One. CW corporate called and said they were not responsible because I signed a waiver. Wait a minute, they aren't responsible for THEIR employee stealing my property!!!! Really?????

The way our camper is designed, you can not asses the cabinet the X-Box was in unless the slide is out. So another words, someone of the street couldn't break into my camper and steal the system because they wouldn't be able to get to it. And it just so happened to be stored in the cabinet on the slide they were working on. What a sorry excuse for a human and corporation!
bkwood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,458
Every dealership for all different vehicles I've ever been in have prominent signs advising customers they aren't responsible for valuables left in vehicles.

Every service order I've ever signed has a similar warning/disclaimer in the fine print.

Don't want surprises, read before signing.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Every dealership for all different vehicles I've ever been in have prominent signs advising customers they aren't responsible for valuables left in vehicles.

Every service order I've ever signed has a similar warning/disclaimer in the fine print.

Don't want surprises, read before signing.
I knew it was in there but we are talking about their own employee stealing. If that little clause is their excuse then they have free rein while in everyone's unit.
bkwood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Every dealership for all different vehicles I've ever been in have prominent signs advising customers they aren't responsible for valuables left in vehicles.

Every service order I've ever signed has a similar warning/disclaimer in the fine print.

Don't want surprises, read before signing.
Yep!
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
PhilFromMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Every dealership for all different vehicles I've ever been in have prominent signs advising customers they aren't responsible for valuables left in vehicles.

Every service order I've ever signed has a similar warning/disclaimer in the fine print.

Don't want surprises, read before signing.
Someone putting a sign up saying they are not responsible for items in vehicles left in their care does not legally take their legal responsibilities away. Having it printed on a work order certainly mitigates that responsibility somewhat if the owner signed the work order.

The long and short of it is that these things never go to court because in most cases the value of the theft is minuscule compared to the time and cost of going to court.

On the moral and ethical side of things, I would give the dealership an F. I would also give them an F for their business acumen. Both the OP and many of the people who read this thread probably will avoid that dealership, if possible, in the future.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Someone putting a sign up saying they are not responsible for items in vehicles left in their care does not legally take their legal responsibilities away. Having it printed on a work order certainly mitigates that responsibility somewhat if the owner signed the work order.

The long and short of it is that these things never go to court because in most cases the value of the theft is minuscule compared to the time and cost of going to court.

On the moral and ethical side of things, I would give the dealership an F. I would also give them an F for their business acumen. Both the OP and many of the people who read this thread probably will avoid that dealership, if possible, in the future.
Absolutely agree.
bkwood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 563
I had body work done by a shop here in NJ and my 5er along with 3 others were broken into over a weekend. We lost the flat screen TV, some camping equipment including a buck knife, all of the knives, forks and spoons, and other odds and ends. The shop reimbursed me for everythng that was taken. The told me its why they have insurance. But every repair facility has their own policies usually posted somewhere. Sorry for your experience, but to me it seems like a case of buyer beware. BTW, I've had my share of bad experiences at CW shops, and wiil only go there for repairs in an emergency.
__________________
DrLewie
Flemington, NJ
Former: 2007 Cardinal 30W LE
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PhilFromMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I had body work done by a shop here in NJ and my 5er along with 3 others were broken into over a weekend. We lost the flat screen TV, some camping equipment including a buck knife, all of the knives, forks and spoons, and other odds and ends. The shop reimbursed me for everythng that was taken. The told me its why they have insurance. But every repair facility has their own policies usually posted somewhere. Sorry for your experience, but to me it seems like a case of buyer beware. BTW, I've had my share of bad experiences at CW shops, and wiil only go there for repairs in an emergency.
What it comes down to is: when is an agreement a contract? One sided proclamations are not contracts between two consenting parties. Overall, there is an expectation of a reasonable standard of care when you leave your vehicle in the exclusive care of a business. If a business is hiring thieves as employees then that reasonable standard hasn't been met.

I have no personal experience, good or bad, dealing with CW.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
Member
 
dkrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ga.
Posts: 37
Not that this is a competition,but I had my travel trailer stolen from a locked camper repair shop in Connecticut back in the 80s!
__________________
Dave & Perki
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2017 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
dkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
Member
 
fenton04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: eastern Missouri
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwood20 View Post
Be careful of what you leave in your camper when its in CW of Concords possession. Ours was in for some warranty work and one of their employees stole our X-Box One. CW corporate called and said they were not responsible because I signed a waiver. Wait a minute, they aren't responsible for THEIR employee stealing my property!!!! Really?????

The way our camper is designed, you can not asses the cabinet the X-Box was in unless the slide is out. So another words, someone of the street couldn't break into my camper and steal the system because they wouldn't be able to get to it. And it just so happened to be stored in the cabinet on the slide they were working on. What a sorry excuse for a human and corporation!
It is pretty sad when you are the victim that some feel the need to pile on. I hate to say this but an example of every man for himself. Sorry for your loss of your personal property. There ought to be a law!
__________________
Tow vehicle 2015 Nissan Titan PRO 4X
Coachman 2019 Apex 249 RBS.
Where to next?

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:24 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Central NC
Posts: 77
As I don't trust anybody I have a policy that if any of my vehicles go to the shop I take everything out, including propane tanks. Better safe than sorry.
It sucks that you lost an expensive hard to replace item, I get it. Hopefully they will make it right. If not what does your insurance company have to say?
__________________
05 Cummins 3500 dually 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL
bucky53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:44 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
PhilFromMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky53 View Post
As I don't trust anybody I have a policy that if any of my vehicles go to the shop I take everything out, including propane tanks. Better safe than sorry.
It sucks that you lost an expensive hard to replace item, I get it. Hopefully they will make it right. If not what does your insurance company have to say?
Good point! Not being of the X-Box generation, I assumed the value would be around 500 dollars max and that most people have a 500 dollar deductible.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,290
I think the OP makes a lot of 'assumptions' as part of his argument, here, which is part of the problem. He 'assumes' that only an EMPLOYEE 'could have stolen' this item. Where does this 'proof' come from? He 'says' that the item was stored somewhere that 'no one' other than an employee could have access to. He 'says' that since it's stored in a drawer or cabinet only accessible when the slide is out, that it 'must have been' an employee.
There are certainly a lot of assumptions here. I don't take anything he says at face value, since he is just here venting.

First, the item may not have ever been in the RV to begin with, where's the proof that it was?
Second, why would 'only an employee' be able to access the item? Anyone, whether an employee or someone who broke into the facility overnight could have taken the item, if it really was there to begin with.
Third, the 'slide' being out as the 'only way' to access the item is suspect, as though the only time the slide would have been 'out' was only for the time that the slide was being worked on. The slide could have been run out, left overnight, and worked on AGAIN the next day, so the item could have then easily been accessed by anyone overnight, again, if it was there to begin with.

This is why you have insurance, if you think this 'item' is valuable enough that it would cause you financial harm if it was lost, stolen, broken, or damaged in a fire or accident. It's NOT the dealer's insurance that protects you, it's YOUR insurance, just like when you put your RV in storage - the storage facility is NOT responsible for your loss, YOU are. Otherwise you could simply cancel your insurance while you have your RV in storage and blame EVERYTHING on the storage facility, or, in this case, the DEALER : /

Dealers, whether RV dealers or car repair shops, etc., are all going to waive their responsibility for stolen property while it's on their property, in their care, or in for repair, and not because they don't 'care', but because any customer could then 'complain' that something of 'value' was stolen and therefore the dealer should have to reimburse them, and all 'just because' they said it was.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 530
I agree that a dealer can't be responsible for stolen property, because anyone could claim anything was stolen. There are dishonest people on both sides of the coin.

This being said, I'd be pissed about it too. And if the Xbox was in the RV when dropped off, and gone when he picked it up after having service done, I think it's fair to assume an employee stole it.
__________________
GravelRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,548
It is a shame this kind of thing happens. I am careful about what items I leave in the RV when I take it to a dealer and also if I put it in storage.
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
It is a shame this kind of thing happens. I am careful about what items I leave in the RV when I take it to a dealer and also if I put it in storage.
A little off topic but………

5er_tom has just taken delivery of his newest toy, the Jayco motorhome.

Doesn’t that make your nickname on the forum a little misleading?
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Orlando
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I agree that a dealer can't be responsible for stolen property, because anyone could claim anything was stolen. There are dishonest people on both sides of the coin.

That's true. So in order to hold the dealer accountable there would have to be an inventory taken on each RV that came in. Much simpler to take the 10 minutes to remove items from the RV. I would always remove my TV (not attached), macerator, power cords, ems and anything else of considerable value.


That said, sorry for the OP's loss, thieves are disgusting.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
A little off topic but………



5er_tom has just taken delivery of his newest toy, the Jayco motorhome.



Doesn’t that make your nickname on the forum a little misleading?


Yes, I know. Any suggestion for a new handle?

C_Man?
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 530
NC_Tom?
__________________
GravelRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #20
Member
 
fenton04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: eastern Missouri
Posts: 76
As for me I would be the last one impeaching the OP version of the truth.
__________________
Tow vehicle 2015 Nissan Titan PRO 4X
Coachman 2019 Apex 249 RBS.
Where to next?

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping, camping world

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.