Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #1

Camping World - Katy TX

This is a positive review of Camping World in Katy, TX (west of Houston)

After storing our rig for almost 5 years due to our inability to travel, we started the process of getting our 2015 class C ready to travel. After getting it serviced at RAM for a couple of recalls, blown RAM specific fuse and tires, we made an appointment at Camping World for a new battery, generator service and a vent cover, cover. It took 3 weeks to get the appointment but only 8 days for the work to be done. They photographed the rig inside and out to document the condition of the rig when they received it. (Guess they'd been accused once to often of causing damage to rigs.)

Upon paying the bill and determining that the work was done to our satisfaction, the electric steps got stuck 'out' and wouldn't retract. They called out a tech who checked the connections, said he'd never seen a step setup like ours (he was pretty young), and actually listened to me when I showed him the connection to the chassis battery and told them how they should operate. He determined that power wasn't getting to the steps, but couldn't find the cause and needed to put it on a lift to see under the rig.

We had to leave, but they pulled the rig into the repair bay and had it repaired the same day. Turned out to be a control module that they had in stock. (What are the odds of that happening.) They showed us the old one which appeared to have three 'plug and play' connections.

If this had been seven years ago, my review would probably have been a negative one based on my experience at this CW. However, this CW which appears to have primarily female service writers was fast, efficient, and completed the repairs early. It was not inexpensive though.
I'd definitely recommend them based on my experience.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #2

I feel CW gets the bad rap because of their size they have more customers and more stores to accumulate a bad rep. We bought our first TT from a small dealership that sold 10-15 units a month if lucky. Barely enough to garnish any attention. I also say that if service departments paid the technician just half of what they charge us. Our experience would be better as they could pick and choose who they wanted. Took my trailer in Saturday they are charging 189 an hour. paying anywhere near $90 an hour would give ability to hire from long line of applicants.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #3

You sir are a member of a select group that has had a very positive experience with CW with that said I'm sure there are more. Good to hear you are getting back into the RV.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:09 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

When I had my TT, I took it there for some warranty work. The AC motor froze up, and they replaced it. They had the TT about a week and a half, and fixed it no problem. So I guess I am also a member of that select group. Glad you got yours done with no problems.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #5

Yup...they get painted with a broad brush since so many ARE so bad... but it is important to call out the good ones. I've had a couple do very well by me but they do charge a bunch at all locations. All depends on the people at the individual location on the service end as to the quality and timeliness of the service.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:24 PM   #6

Having had multiple bad luck with CW Katy I think it would require Divine intervention to change my opinion of the service group. First trailer, 26 weeks in the first year tied up in the shop, mostly due to their incompetence. Installation of braking system on jeep was incorrect and incomplete, would not work. Never again.
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintexas View Post
Having had multiple bad luck with CW Katy I think it would require Divine intervention to change my opinion of the service group. First trailer, 26 weeks in the first year tied up in the shop, mostly due to their incompetence. Installation of braking system on jeep was incorrect and incomplete, would not work. Never again.
Sorry you had that problem. That was my experience in the past, but they have revamped their service (and probably raised their price.)
So who do you use in the area? It would be nice to have another shop in the area.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You sir are a member of a select group that has had a very positive experience with CW with that said I'm sure there are more. Good to hear you are getting back into the RV.

Ive heard it said if a company pleases you , you will tell 3 people. If they upset or anger you, you will tell 11 (nearly 4 times as many).

It would seem, we just never get to hear from those with good experiences on this forum.

Ive never dealt with CW for service, only parts and misc purchases. Ive had nothing negative happen.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:02 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for sharing. Glade to hear of someone getting something fixed at CW and all went well. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #10

CW

It's a Miracle!
I have had nothing but bad experiences w/ them. I thought I would give them another chance after 3 years. We stopped in one in Goshen,Indiana. I was buying $195 in power cords and connections. I waited for 10 minutes to be checked out, I was the only one in line. Several employees were standing 10' away talking. Only when I dropped everything on the floor and began walking out, did anyone speak to me. Another 5 minutes for a clerk to come up to the front. After I gave him my number for discount, he rang it up wrong and had to repeat order. No thank you, no bag, nothing. Unbelievable
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:34 PM   #11

I don't use anybody currently, if any service to be done it would be a mobile guy, maybe
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #12

Not for me

I got burned once big time. Never going back to any of them.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #13

I bought a used super C from CW that was sold on consignment & just getting it out the door was a disaster, many issues with them just doing what they said they would do. CW gave me a voucher to have the carbon monoxide detector replaced at a CW near my home & they couldn't even do that correctly. They ordered & installed the wrong one 2 times & the propane valve won't turn on unless its a 3 wire detector.

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:18 PM   #14

My comments were only on the Katy, TX CW.
In the past I've had terrible service from them.
I think I've discovered why they 'aimed to please' this time.
They've just opened an ExploreUSA right next door with 20 service bays and 'no wait service'. They have 17 locations in Texas.

Nothing like a little competition to improve service.

Tags
camping, camping world