Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Camping World of Vacaville, California

Anyone here have experience with sales and service at Camping World of Vacaville? The Yelp reviews are really bad.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I lived Napa for 12 years and would often stop by and look around.
The sales staff were some of the worst I've ever encountered at a RV dealership.
Was very clear that most knew nothing about RVs.
Can't tell how many times I was the one educating the salesperson about their RVs.

Only had service done when they were at the old Fairfield location.
Had a slide topper installed and it still has worked with no problems, for 10 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

If Marcus Lemonis really really cared about what Camping World is and has become he'd be in here like a dirty shirt.

He's more focussed on his reality show "The Profit" which is about saving small businesses. Camping World ain't small anymore....but if it keeps handling business like it has become....it could be.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

Ugh, why oh why are all the motorhomes I find after searching forever at all the bad dealerships? Thanks for the input!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #5

I'm getting popcorn ready...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

Yeah, DW and I went there to shop when we were looking for our TT. Sales guy we got was one of those you wanted to wipe your hand right after he shook it. We ended up buying elsewhere.

The staff in the store have been fine. I'm planning on having them them install some JT Strongarms for me, so we'll see how the service department is.

Bob
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperroo View Post
Ugh, why oh why are all the motorhomes I find after searching forever at all the bad dealerships? Thanks for the input!
Their service may be fine.
Just make sure you educate yourself before you buy from them.
The salespeople I met would say anything if it made a sale.
Couldn't believe the lies and misinformation coming out their mouths.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

I can't even remotely agree with " their service may be fine". Others can chime in and let you know I'm not alone here.

I'm just betting no one, and I mean no one, is letting Marcus know the whole situation at Camping World.....sales AND service.

I can be contacted just like anyone else on here.

"Operators are standing by to take your call..."

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I can't even remotely agree with " their service may be fine". Others can chime in and let you know I'm not alone here.

I'm just betting no one, and I mean no one, is letting Marcus know the whole situation at Camping World.....sales AND service.

I can be contacted just like anyone else on here.

"Operators are standing by to take your call..."
Well, my one service experience at this CW's old location was positive.
And the same staff went to the new Vacaville location.
But that was 10 years ago.

But I find it interesting that you've chosen to make a judgement on a CW in Vacaville, California and you live in Eastern Canada.

I agree that CWs have a bad reputation but the OP was asking about a particular CW.

Have you bought from or had service done at this dealership?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #10

Over a year ago when we were shopping for campers we went there. We knew we were going to buy a camper but were still in the, deciding on the floor plan stage. A sales guy grabbed onto us right away and took us to see a couple of campers, then all of a sudden he must have got bored answering our questions because he told us to look around and check with him if we had more questions. At the end as we were walking out, he was sitting at his desk working, (surfing the net), on his computer. He asked if we had any more questions, we told him what we were looking at, (it was a Bullet but I don't remember the exact model number) and were still deciding if that was the right floor plan. He took our phone number and told us he would call in a few days to see if we had anymore questions, we never heard back from him. I guess he could tell the Bullet was the wrong camper for us before we knew. That whole interaction has always left a sour taste in my mouth for that location.

If you are looking at the local area:
The sales guy at the non-Campingworld dealer in Fairfield, (no longer there), was not much better. In my opinion the non-Campingworld dealer in Suisun had the best sales guys, they always took their time with us, (went there 3 times), but even they lacked follow through. There was a nice Outdoor Sports model that we liked viewing the brochure and the sales guy stated they had one coming in a couple of weeks and he would call us when it arrived. He never called. The Suisun service department on the other hand, really disappointed me. I needed to have my hitch ball torqued in an emergency situation, I called them because they are on Equalizer's list of places to go, and they wouldn't allow me to drop by and have them torque it. At the most it would take a few minutes. Even told them I would just sit and wait for someone to have a few minutes and would pay whatever the rate is, they said no they are too busy. IMO, poor customer service.

On a side note, off topic :
While out driving looking for a socket that would work, I stopped by a local auto shop, pulled up, the guy at the front desk asked what I needed and when I told him I need a pretty specialized socket to tighten a ball hitch, he said "no problem". He had one of his techs do it right then and there, ( less than 2 minutes), and when I asked how much do I owe, he said "nothing, don't worry about it". I was barely able to give him and the tech a tip but insisted because I really wanted to show my gratitude. In the end, he knew what he was doing by giving great customer service, we have already taken the DW's car there for service so he has made his money back and will always get my patronage when we need a car worked on.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, my one service experience at this CW's old location was positive.
And the same staff went to the new Vacaville location.
But that was 10 years ago.

But I find it interesting that you've chosen to make a judgement on a CW in Vacaville, California and you live in Eastern Canada.

I agree that CWs have a bad reputation but the OP was asking about a particular CW.

Have you bought from or had service done at this dealership?
I for one haven't and most certainly would not even consider it no matter how a specific CW store was reviewed by someone. A few less than desirable experiences (5 out of 5) just trying to buy a trailer from 3 different CW locations over the last 8 years or so along with the million or so negative reviews all over the net in general, tends to make me lump them all into Marcus's bag. Service? HA If and when they become the last dealership on Earth (good luck Marcus) I guess thats when I would quit buying altogether.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #12

Do your self a favor and avoid everything what has to do with CW.
The problem is- and a lot of sales guys having the issue- if you're around all this high priced RV's (cars, trucks,....all goods in general), you loose the connection to reality. you forget, that people having a certain budget, and mostly- for the ones looking into a $10000 trailer having the same hard time to work for the money, than the one looking for a $100000 motorhome. That does not make a customer shopping for a $10000 trailer less valuable than the one shopping for a $100000 motorhome. Of course, you make more money off the motorhome guy. I experienced this on my own, as we was shopping for our first trailer- we looked into a cheap used one, because we did not know, if we like camping and didn't wanted to spend that much money and loosing a lot of money, when we don't like it and want to sell it. We was handled as second class customers at CW in Spartanburg, the sales guy tried his best to get us into a new camper, the numbers was getting higher and higher and as we said- look- we are looking for max. $10K, he said- the used ones are over there- let me know, when you found something...and just walked off. Well, he missed out on business, because we bought 2 years later a brand new unit. Not from there. in fact, we did not buy anything there.
Camping world is not for people finding their new camper with help from a sales guy, supporting in finding the right floor plan, showing the differences, advantages, disadvantages, things to think about (black tank flush, outside tv hookup, quality differences, etc...) and helping to get into the right unit. No camping world is for people knowing what they want and just shopping for the best price. welcome to campingworld- get your sh*t and get out.
And if you look at Lemonis tv-show, this is exactly the way he "improves" small businesses- sell fast and when people are done- get them out as fast as you can to make room for the next guy spending his money - don't waste time with people, where you know- not today.
Yes, it's successful- you see it in all the sales CW does. People are warned but still buying, because they save $500 compared to their local dealer, fighting to survive and not becoming another victim of the CW war-machinery.
CW is plain about making money- not to help people. And they use the basic American roots: bigger is better is cheaper. People think, they getting the best deal, because they are big. they are everywhere and no matter where you go- be sure, there is a CW. it's also a psychological effect. no matter who you are- everybody knows camping world- even though some was not even there (yet). And what comes first in mind, when you think about camping, about trailers? yeah- let's see what camping world has. That's it and that's what it is about. Mindnumbing, brainwashing, manipulating and pulling people the money out of their pockets.
And why they are still successful, when most of the ones ever bought there, would never ever spend another dime there? because there are still more people out there, who never made this experience, and even though there are 90% bad reviews, they still go there and getting ran over like grandma from the damn old train.
Maybe, there will be the day, when people realize, what CW actually is and don't go there no more- but the day is far. CW is a self runner and do you still wonder, why local dealers give up, because no matter what they do, people buying at CW because they THINK it's cheaper? The only chance, they have is, to provide outstanding service and welcome the CW victims, when they find out, that CW is not interested in you coming back, if something is not ok. I found my local dealer, who did exactly that and I'm sure- if I buy a new unit- even though it's probably years from now- I will give this dealer a chance. And if he's $1000 higher than CW- I know- the money is well spent because of the service I get, when I come back.

Don't believe it? try.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #13

CW Vacaville, CA

Never interacted with the staff. Lived about 30 miles away and TRIED to stop by on the way home once. Getting in and out is a nightmare so avoided ever since. There is one in Rocklin, east of Sacramento, where I have shopped many times, never used service or sales.
2020 Lance 2075
2008 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 V-8 with Tow Package
2015 Ford Expedition Ecoboost with Heavy Duty Tow Package
Burnking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #14

CW not the best on the East Coast either. Had a slide topper installed, was a swimming pool from day one - oh well use a beach ball or two, that's what most people do. Got a new 5r, none of the slide toppers have problems, dealer (no CW) said bring it back if it puddles. East Coast appear to be job shops, quick fix, not permanent most of the time.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:42 PM   #15

kenorterry I had a bad experience at CW Bakersfield CA and Valencia. I tried to contact him 3x after reading a sales brochure him saying anything you are unhappy about feel free to contact me. Got no replies from anyone. So contacting him is mute.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 PM   #16

I live and work in Vacaville and drive by CW all the time. I've had horrible experiences with the service department. You make an appointment and your rig sits for a week before they ever look at it. When I do need help I use a local mobile service and he's GREAT. I did buy my Columbus from them and got a very good deal. The salesman was not very knowledgeable but he was polite. He started with trying to sell me the coach for full price. I told him to take 30% off the MSRP and we'll start there. He did and I got a very good deal. The PDI was a joke the kid showing me fifth wheel didn't know how the a/c worked, the tv or the surround sound.

They have a great inventory so do your homework. You can get a good deal from them but after that your on your own.
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Christine View Post
I live and work in Vacaville and drive by CW all the time. I've had horrible experiences with the service department. You make an appointment and your rig sits for a week before they ever look at it. When I do need help I use a local mobile service and he's GREAT. I did buy my Columbus from them and got a very good deal. The salesman was not very knowledgeable but he was polite. He started with trying to sell me the coach for full price. I told him to take 30% off the MSRP and we'll start there. He did and I got a very good deal. The PDI was a joke the kid showing me fifth wheel didn't know how the a/c worked, the tv or the surround sound.

They have a great inventory so do your homework. You can get a good deal from them but after that your on your own.
Thank you all for your input.

I've been looking for months for a particular used class C Forester, and I could only find them back east. This one just turned up and it's the exact floor plan, color scheme, and year we've been looking for. There are some repairs it will need, so I will have to deal with the service department unfortunately. We put a deposit down and will travel the 4.5 hours to walk through it this weekend. It's a 2016 and still not quite sure how to negotiate on the price of used. Do I start with 30% off their list price which is not the MSRP at this point? I hope all goes well especially that there is so much negative feedback on Campingworld. I wouldn't choose them except for the fact that they have the motorhome we've been searching a long time for.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 AM   #18

Camperroo.
I had the same, as I was looking for my first truck. The local dodge dealer sold us before my wife's charger used, no accident, new tires. The very next day the new tire had a bulge. They refused to change it, said, we done it (in 2 miles to our house). Then I tried to get the wheel off to get it to the tire place and found all 20 aluminum lug nuts destroyed. Had to chisel them off. After I went up to the owner, he gave me new ones. 2 years later, my wife had a minor accident and there we found out, that the vehicle was a technical total loss after rear end damage! In Virginia. So, they showed us the carfax from a similar vehicle from georgia. Or do you think, I would had bought it? Confronted, they laughed it off and said: prove it.
As I was looking for my first truck, I had it, like you. They had exactly the truck I wanted, color, interior, exterior, etc... and I went and looked at it. THEY TRIED TO PULL THE SAME WITH ME AGAIN.
But this time I double checked and man, I went up to the manager. He said: why you make such a deal, just because the sales man made a little mistake?
Don't have to say- I bought nothing there again. Not the truck, not the new charger and not my second truck. And they can be as cheap as they want, nope.
The same as cw treated me, never again.
You - and sorry, that I have to say it, are the reason, why they are still in business, when you buy this unit. You do it, regardless everybody warns you.
Like thousands of others.
And you will be just one more, spreading bad reviews in the internet, after you figured out, what of a mistake you made.
For my part, I would rather pick it up in california, than buying anything else from cw.
It's your money, your desicion. Good luck.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #19

I would like to update this thread. We did end up purchasing the used 2016 Forester 2861DS. We had been looking for this particular model and year for awhile. Finally one came up closer to home. The unfortunate part was that Campingworld possessed this RV on a trade. It was not the ideal situation I know because of Campingworld's bad reputation, but so far we have had a good experience.

I'd like to give a shout out to Sherri Cook, our sales rep who has been going the extra mile following up on the repairs. What she doesn't know, she takes the time to find out. Her fiance works in the service department. Phil, the Sales Manager, on the other hand was difficult to deal with during the negotiations.

The big hold up is that they needed to order parts from Forest River for some repairs. It's been almost a month since we purchased and Forest River has not shipped the parts. Hopefully, we won't have to wait much longer. We will not pay until we pick up and everything checks out ok. Thank you all for your feedback.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
Site Team

Camperroo
please contact FR parts dept. and ask if CW has placed a parts order for your rig.

CW and other dealers will blame FR for the delay when it's actually them that's delaying things.

in fact, there's a couple of threads here about FR allowing dealers to order parts from anyone that can help expedite the repairs.

Tags
california, camping