Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #1

Chesaco RV Maryland. Stay Away!

We have had a horrific time with Chesaco RV. I would warn anyone who is looking for a coach to stay away.

We purchased a coach last year in September. We went for our walk through and they did not have the coach ready for delivery. We made the mistake of signing all the paperwork and dropping off our trade. Two weeks later we went for the second delivery date. Drove down and the things that we noticed prior to singing the paperwork still were not fixed. Two weeks later we finally took delivery only because we had a trip planned but there were still mechanical issues. We dropped the coach back off at the dealership the end of October and they had it until The end of January.

In June we dropped it off for more warrantee work. When I went to pick it up They lost my keys and had to drive me 45 miles home to get my spare set .

Today I went to drop off the coach for 10 more issues we have found during our past few trips. I scheduled this repair over 3 weeks ago. I told them when I scheduled it that I had another trip planned in 10 days. After I dropped it off today they told me to come pick it back up because they could not look at it in the next 10 days...... Why schedule a service if they can not even look at it?

So after I lost my temper they agreed to look at 2 of the issues but I'll have to bring it back in during September to complete the rest of the issues.

Their SERVICE DEPARTMENT is HORRIFIC!! I could expand on the many issues I have had..... I have been lied to so many times I can no longer count. If anyone would like more or specific details I'll be glad to elaborate but it raises my blood pressure just thinking about it.

Just trying to warn a fellow Campers.... I received a good price on my Coach but would GLADLY have paid more for good customer service and a Service Department that cares about their customers
Rdifuccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you do any research on them cause I've seen nothing but negative reviews about them, on various RV forums for the past 12 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you do any research on them cause I've seen nothing but negative reviews about them, on various RV forums for the past 12 years.

Unfortunately NO... we did a lot of research on the coach we wanted but should have spent more time researching the dealer. Lesson learned.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

How are they still in business? we bought a used 5th whl from Camping World and they wanted us to sign before the walk through, I told them we wanted to make sure everything worked. They then replied with it takes a few hours for the frig to get to temp, I replied with we have all day and more if needed......they didn't like that. What ever happened to customer satisfaction?

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

I am so sorry for your ruined planned trips.

Your expectations of good service during the busy camping season is probably not realistic with the majority of dealers... most all dealers push new sales and accompanying repair work to the front of the line and push everybody else back... once they got your money you go to the back of the line and stay there until there is nothing else to sell.

This is not an excuse for losing the keys or not doing the work once you get it in, just stating the reality of the business model... they are there to sell and service is just a sideline.

I urge everyone to do all of the work on their camper/motorhome they possibly can, as the work will be done in a more timely manner and probably done better. Only leave to the dealer what you cannot possibly fix or is a big buck item.

I hope that maybe you can find another dealer close by that will treat you better.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

We usually stay away from posting negative reviews but we feel your pain. We are from MD and have had similar experiences, however, not to the extent you've had. We have used Custom Coach on Pulaski Hgwy for our warranty work. Best of luck, there really are some good service centers out there.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
We usually stay away from posting negative reviews but we feel your pain. We are from MD and have had similar experiences, however, not to the extent you've had. We have used Custom Coach on Pulaski Hgwy for our warranty work. Best of luck, there really are some good service centers out there.

Tigger1 .... do you like custom coach? Have heard some positive things. My warranty is up the end of September and looking for recommendations for the future.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #8

Yes, we have used them for a couple of things for our previous Jayco trailer and we were satisfied. They are a small operation so it requires an appointment but once you're scheduled they take care of it. In our experience we called the manufacturer first to get approval, paid up front, then submitted it, no problem. We haven't needed warranty on our new FR Mini Lite 2104S yet, but the dealer we purchased from, 3 1/2 hrs away in PA, said to get an itemized work order from Custom Coach and they would make sure it got paid. Maybe you can contact FR to get approval first?
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Old 08-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #9

P.S several of our camping group club members have been using CC for some time. That's where we got the tip.
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
How are they still in business? ?
not only are they still in business, but they are expanding. They now have three locations and they were at the Hersey PA show two years ago as they were expanding into PA - we bought our first camper (a popup) from them in 2010, the purchase went ok but we learned the hard way about the service.
Then last years experience made me wonder about whether or not they offer a "good" deal. When we were looking to move to a hybrid last year - we wanted the 23WS. Chesaco (Fredrick location) had the Roo 23WS so we went to scout it out. They gave us a quote that included a 2000.00 dollar PDI charge. Yep, $2000.00, I was floored. Found the Shamrock 23WS for six thousand dollars less at a dealer only 30 minutes further away and the Shamrock came with slide toppers that the Roo did not have.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #11

Well, I drove past one of the Chesaco locations when I left Leo's last week. Seemed kind of tiny. Now I am glad I didn't stop. They always have a huge presence at the Timonium shows.

Which location did you buy from?

What did you buy?

Sorry about your troubles.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Well, I drove past one of the Chesaco locations when I left Leo's last week. Seemed kind of tiny. Now I am glad I didn't stop. They always have a huge presence at the Timonium shows.

Which location did you buy from?

What did you buy?

Sorry about your troubles.

Delco...... we bought a Forest River Fr3 class A motor home. And yes we bought it from the Timonium show. Hence some of the issues. The salesman who sold it was from the Shumakersville location in PA. Therefore they got the credit for sale. They are a very small location though and do not even have a service shop. Therefore the delivery was scheduled at the Gambrils location. They told us that that was there best shop for ClassA delivery. They were the location that did not have the prep ready after 3 attempted delivery dates and they finally drove it to the Joppa location for delivery Because the Joppa location is the closest to our home so......... now you can see why no one wants to take responsibility. BUT ITS ALL THE SAME COMPANY AND OWNER!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

We bought our Grey Wolf from Chesaco and had not issues. It was also from the Timonium show. Our walk through was quick but thorough but we also had previous trailers so we had an idea of what we were looking for. The ONE thing we missed was the keypad entry did not work (would not take a new code). I contacted the lock maker and they sent a new one with out issues. I had not other issues so I did not need their service. But it does seem like most places have terrible service.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

We bought our unit from Chesaco Frederick last year and had no issues. The salesman was great and went out of his way to meet our schedules. The PDI took about two hours and cost us nothing. They filled our propane tanks and installed our Equalizer hitch. The only negatives we had came after the sale and when we had a warranty issue with our rear stab jacks. It took waaay too long. I don't believe their service department is properly staffed to keep pace with the work.

Marty
Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
We bought our unit from Chesaco Frederick last year and had no issues. The salesman was great and went out of his way to meet our schedules. The PDI took about two hours and cost us nothing. They filled our propane tanks and installed our Equalizer hitch. The only negatives we had came after the sale and when we had a warranty issue with our rear stab jacks. It took waaay too long. I don't believe their service department is properly staffed to keep pace with the work.

Marty
Yeah that summed us up as well. I gave them my old WD setup with the trade and they installed the Equalizer. They did mess up the pickup date (which cost me a vacation day) so that is a negative... But they gave us $500 of store credit to make up for it and we went on a shopping spree!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdifuccia View Post
Delco...... we bought a Forest River Fr3 class A motor home. And yes we bought it from the Timonium show. Hence some of the issues. The salesman who sold it was from the Shumakersville location in PA. Therefore they got the credit for sale. They are a very small location though and do not even have a service shop. Therefore the delivery was scheduled at the Gambrils location. They told us that that was there best shop for ClassA delivery. They were the location that did not have the prep ready after 3 attempted delivery dates and they finally drove it to the Joppa location for delivery Because the Joppa location is the closest to our home so......... now you can see why no one wants to take responsibility. BUT ITS ALL THE SAME COMPANY AND OWNER!
Yeah, the typical us and them attitude.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #17

I've had a personal and professional relationship with Custom Coach for over 30 years. Honestly, if they ever go out of business I would be lost to some degree. The fact they are a small operation does create a slow turnaround at times but as for being honest and desiring your business, they are good people. I bought my ROO and MH from local Baltimore area dealers and both went out of business soon thereafter leaving me hanging without dedicated specific dealer service. And yes, Chesaco has had some poor reviews over the years.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #18
Global Nomad

Chesaco RV Maryland terrible service

I, too, bought my Cedar Creek 5th Wheel from Chesaco. I got a great price, BUT, the follow up service was terrible. However, I was warned about this ahead of time and I took all my warranty work and preventive maintenance to Custom Coach on Pulaski Hwy.

Buyer beware of Chesaco RV.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #19

We bought our MH from them and service is horror story. Had bi weekly phone calls with Forest River until most things resolved

Never got e everything fixed

They had my Motor-Home for 5 months and never even looked at it

Make sure you take pictures and document everything
cbmerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmerton View Post
We bought our MH from them and service is horror story. Had bi weekly phone calls with Forest River until most things resolved

Never got e everything fixed

They had my Motor-Home for 5 months and never even looked at it

Make sure you take pictures and document everything
Terrible.