Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Angry Gander RV Service DeForest, WI- Vent mode on

We just bought the camper a few months ago and found a few things that were not right so we took it in for warranty service a month ago. We were still having a good fall and I didn't winterize it yet. I told them that when I dropped it off. "Shouldn't be a problem as they said turnaround was a week. I had drained the water lines as best I could and drained the water heater before dropping it off. Two weeks later, they called to say it is just going in for service. I again refreshed their memory that it was not winterized yet and we were starting to get some cold nights.

We started getting below freezing weather the 3rd week and I was assured that while it is being repaired, it was being kept indoors as it is not winterized. We are getting to the end of week 3 and they called to say that everything but the defective tongue jack had been repaired and it has been outside waiting for the part for the better part of the 3rd week. I again advised them that it was not winterized as I had told them when we dropped it off. They said they could winterize it for us for around $200, but they could not guarantee there was no damage to it while it was outside and they would not be responsible for any damage. I asked to talk to the Manager, who said they will winterize it for free and test things to make sure there is no leakage and if there is any, they will repair it at no charge. He also said that the guarantee ends when it leaves the lot.

We are livid with anger and frustration at their incompetence and wondering if anyone has had service done at Gander RV in DeForest, WI before that compares to this?
Here lies dead and hard,
the last damn dog
that pooped in my yard
Silver Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Dealer Reviews since the OP is asking a specific question about a particular dealer and not a general question.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Dealer Reviews since the OP is asking a specific question about a particular dealer and not a general question.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
I disagree with moving this as I was also looking for general feedback, it will not get noticed hidden at the bottom.
Here lies dead and hard,
the last damn dog
that pooped in my yard
Old 11-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lake View Post
I disagree with moving this as I was also looking for general feedback, it will not get noticed hidden at the bottom.
Sorry for your troubles with your dealer mentioned. It’s nothing new in the industry.

That said…..when moderators move your thread to a more appropriate forum, it does NOT get thrown to the bottom. It’s still based on the date of your submission. You’re just seen in a more appropriate forum. Calm down…..it’s at the top.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
It's not "hidden at the bottom". It appears near the top of recent discussions.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #6

run out to the dealers lot this weekend and winterize it yourself. Better take a battery jump pack because the camper battery is probably dead as well.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

And who owns Gander Mountain????
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #8

No surprise here. My one and only experience with Camping World was a disaster. It will never happen again. I know the poster was talking about Gander. It's all the same.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I asked to talk to the Manager, who said they will winterize it for free and test things to make sure there is no leakage and if there is any, they will repair it at no charge. He also said that the guarantee ends when it leaves the lot.

Free winterizing and a guarantee of free repairs if there is any damage later on? Sounds like they are taking pretty good care of you.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
No surprise here. My one and only experience with Camping World was a disaster. It will never happen again. I know the poster was talking about Gander. It's all the same.

Same here. They're terrible. Won't spend any time/money with them again.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Free winterizing and a guarantee of free repairs if there is any damage later on? Sounds like they are taking pretty good care of you.
I agree. However, I'd get that in writing.
Since the OP drained the water lines, the risk of damage is much less than if that step hadn't been taken.

It seems that waiting for repairs has become the industry standard. We've had good service from the Camping World near us. They seem to have changed their procedures at that CW and the fact that we're repeat customers with cash in hand seems to get us better service.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I agree. However, I'd get that in writing.
Since the OP drained the water lines, the risk of damage is much less than if that step hadn't been taken.

It seems that waiting for repairs has become the industry standard. We've had good service from the Camping World near us. They seem to have changed their procedures at that CW and the fact that we're repeat customers with cash in hand seems to get us better service.

Paying customers always seem to get better service then warranty customers . wonder why
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #13

Stock Holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascon View Post
And who owns Gander Mountain????
Stock Holders. Do I get a prize for the correct answer???
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
Stock Holders. Do I get a prize for the correct answer???

Actually it appears Gander Mountain is privately owned by Marcus Lemonis, who is also the Chairman and CEO and Co Owner of Camping world (shared ownership with private equity firm Crestview Partners. Camping World went public in October 2016.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #15

Does not matter. Both places suck.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #16

I love it that they told you "He also said that the guarantee ends when it leaves the lot"

So with that being said, you would have to fill your tanks with water and pressurize them, test the toilet (s), faucets, and drains before you drive off the lot. IN NOVEMBER, IN WISCONSIN. I would use pure RV antifreeze to do that. Don't forget to test the water heater, I bought a used Class C with a frozen water heater but I knew about that and got a good price.

I live in Baraboo and stopped at that dealer when I was shopping for a TT. I ran after they started adding all of the extras to the posted price for the TT. The next week I got a call at home from the salesperson asking if I was coming back. They evidently recorded my truck license number and tracked me down because I didn't give them any of my personal information,
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I love it that they told you "He also said that the guarantee ends when it leaves the lot"

So with that being said, you would have to fill your tanks with water and pressurize them, test the toilet (s), faucets, and drains before you drive off the lot. IN NOVEMBER, IN WISCONSIN. I would use pure RV antifreeze to do that. Don't forget to test the water heater, I bought a used Class C with a frozen water heater but I knew about that and got a good price.

I live in Baraboo and stopped at that dealer when I was shopping for a TT. I ran after they started adding all of the extras to the posted price for the TT. The next week I got a call at home from the salesperson asking if I was coming back. They evidently recorded my truck license number and tracked me down because I didn't give them any of my personal information,
Yep and the one week turnaround for warranty repairs is now approaching 7 weeks and it is still not done.
Here lies dead and hard,
the last damn dog
that pooped in my yard

Tags
service, vent