Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

General RV Ashland Va

We were looking to down size for future state park trips. Had a Forest River fifth wheel for 7 years. It had its issues but all in all a good camper.
Shopped online first, was called by someone In Indiana I believe. Asked him about how much I could get with my trade. He said $18000.00 trade and 20 to 24 retail. First salesperson couldn’t even look me in the eyes. Showed us 3 rv’s then sat us down and said “what do we have to do to make this deal?” What?? Once again I told her we just started looking. Then she proceeded to push us out the door.
The second salesgirl was very pleasant and showed us what we wanted to look at. We decided on a 26dbud Salem. During the negotiations I was offered $10000.00 for my trade! Sales manager came over and said “ we just can’t offer any more than that”.
I decided since I don’t have the space for 2 campers in my driveway to go ahead and bite the bullet and trade it in instead of selling it out right.
Business manager! Got angry when he handed me the finance papers and I said “who told you I was going to finance it??” On top of that I didn’t buy an extended warranty. If you make a good product you shouldn’t need it. Again, not very happy with me at that point. It took me two weeks to get him to call for a payoff on the trade and tell me exactly how much to have a certified check for. One day before we closed the deal he called with the amount. Never said thank you shook my hand or anything. I looked him dead in the face and walked out!

Since then I have made 11 repairs myself. I was told the day of purchase that they were scheduling repairs a minimum of a month and a half out. By time you get it back your warranty has run out.
Rant over.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:52 PM   #2

Oh, and they put my trade up for $26995.00. Quite the profit!
Old 11-30-2022, 12:58 PM   #3

Bought my class A there two years ago. Don't know if it was the same Business Manager I dealt with at that time but, he was pretty aggressive with us also. Guess he thought since I was a newbie and never owned a motorhome before that I was an easy mark.

I declined the over $6000.00 add-ons he was pushing and he got a bit indignant. Really made my day, was happy to see he back of him.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakist View Post
Bought my class A there two years ago. Don't know if it was the same Business Manager I dealt with at that time but, he was pretty aggressive with us also. Guess he thought since I was a newbie and never owned a motorhome before that I was an easy mark.

I declined the over $6000.00 add-ons he was pushing and he got a bit indignant. Really made my day, was happy to see he back of him.

He also tried to sell me a $2600.00 clean and wax plan!
I just looked at him. 🤦*♂️
Old 11-30-2022, 01:16 PM   #5

I only have experience with three dealerships (not this one) and I would say my experiences are pretty much the same as the OPs. The trade in value and resale is understandable, but the discourteous demeaner of staff is hard for me to understand.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

We bought 2 trailers for General RV in Huntley, IL. Similar story here. Felt raped at the end of the 2nd deal. Service dept really did a job on us. Asked them to install 2 solar panels, I gave them the panels and controller, and hit me $1300. Won't go back
Old 11-30-2022, 04:18 PM   #7

Extended Warranty Scam

I spent a major part of my career in sales and marketing. A lot of that involved 'toys for boys'. I was working in the Stereo industry when Extended Warranties were introduced back in the '70s. The President of the company was very excited about it as an additional profit center. The premium is shared between the selling company and the salesperson to the extent of approximately 50%. We were told straight out that the insurer would vigorously look for any way possible to deny the claim. It is my experience that at car, boat and RV dealerships the Finance Manager depends to a very large extent on the commissions from extended warranty for their income. They cannot live on the salary paid. That's their problem not mine. During a recent truck purchase when the deal was done the salesperson handed me off to the owner (1200 units annual) who then walked me into the finance manager's office. When I informed her that I was paying cash and didn't want the extended warranty she excused herself and came back with the owner. He tried to scare me into buying stating the cost of various repairs. I held firm and said 'no'. He cut the cost in half and tried to lay a guilt trip on me on behalf of the finance person. Once more I said 'no'. Like the OP I stated that if I felt I needed an extended warranty I would be buying another product. When we purchased our first Rockwood and it came time to do the dance with the finance manager, I asked him how long a loan had to stay on the books before the loan company didn't claw back his commission. Six months he said. The interest rate was very low and the trade allowance was very generous, so I financed the deal for SIX MONTHS. Here we are 50 years later and having turned down countless extended warranties I have no regrets YET . I am absolutely certain that the money saved by saying 'NO' allows me to pay for any repair and have money left in the bank.

My 2 cents, Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
Here we are 50 years later and having turned down countless extended warranties I have no regrets YET . I am absolutely certain that the money saved by saying 'NO' allows me to pay for any repair and have money left in the bank.

Same here. I've never bought extended warranties and have never had an incident in 50 years that caused me to regret the decision.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
Like the OP I stated that if I felt I needed an extended warranty I would be buying another product.
Why do I need an extended warranty?

In case it breaks.

Well if it breaks I don't want to buy it.

It's not gonna break.

Well then why would I want to buy an extended warranty?

In case it breaks.

Repeat forever...
Old 12-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #10
Site Team

The extended warranty rabbit trail in this thread is a "repeat forever" theme.

When I bought my first NEW unit, I didn't know the 8"x2" pin box support structure beams would tear completely through in a couple of places nor that one axle would bend nor that my 13.5K air conditioner would stop cooling nor that my black tank dump cable would have to be replaced.

I'm not happy I was so unlucky as to have several "failures" in my trailer but I am happy I was so stupid as to negotiate down the price of a 5-year extended service contract to $1800 since it paid out $4200 on 2 service center repairs. I'm also happy I didn't have to pay the $4200 out of my pocket since $4200 is more than $1800.

You say I could have done those repairs myself. Nope... maybe you could; I couldn't at my age and condition.
You say I should have put the $1800 in an account - you know, self-insured so to speak ---- but interest rates then nor now would make the $1800 grow to $4200.
You say extended warranty companies reject most claims to increase their profit margin. Actually, I had no claims rejected - even some the service center submitted for problems I didn't realize I had. My second claim was discussed with the service center 10 days before the contract expired and paid AFTER the contract expired.
I've towed the trailer 27284 miles and, if you know how to see a member's signature line, you can see how often I use the trailer. This week I replaced the fresh water pump's upper housing and I have the part in hand to replace my primary propane regulator - so I can do some things but I'm not putting a new A/C unit on top nor swapping axles.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 12-15-2022, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan V. View Post
Oh, and they put my trade up for $26995.00. Quite the profit!
That is what they are in business for, to make money. They buy low, sell high, or they aren’t in business long.

Why people buy from dealers that treat them rudely, complain about trade in price, is beyond me.

The secret to buying anything is not HAVING to buy. It’s easy to walk out when not treated respectfully or fairly.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn721 View Post
That is what they are in business for, to make money. They buy low, sell high, or they aren’t in business long.

Why people buy from dealers that treat them rudely, complain about trade in price, is beyond me.

The secret to buying anything is not HAVING to buy. It’s easy to walk out when not treated respectfully or fairly.

Just wondering, is there a reason you have to be rude? People make mistakes and learn from them. And I don’t remember asking for your opinion. I was just commenting on how high the mark up was and DO understand making money to stay in business.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #13

Not being rude at all. At anytime you could have not bought (and the way you say you were treated, you should have) and walked out.

If I was rude, you are being rude to the dealership. Complaining about a purchase you didn’t have to make.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #14

Seeing your rig/vehicle priced high after you've taken the offer for a trade-in is always eye opening. Of course, you don't really know what it sold for.

Sounds like you had a good salesperson and a terrible finance manager.
You did what most of us do... make the repairs yourself. You get a better repair and don't risk getting something else damaged while at the dealer.

Hope you have many good camping days with your new rig!
Old 12-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn721 View Post
Not being rude at all. At anytime you could have not bought (and the way you say you were treated, you should have) and walked out.

If I was rude, you are being rude to the dealership. Complaining about a purchase you didn’t have to make.

Wow, you’re a real piece of work.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan V. View Post
Just wondering, is there a reason you have to be rude? People make mistakes and learn from them. And I don’t remember asking for your opinion. I was just commenting on how high the mark up was and DO understand making money to stay in business.
I don't think jlynn was being rude at all. He briefly summed up your rant and the solution to the rant, which you can't disagree with. He was not unpleasant or rude.
If it hit a nerve for you, that's on you.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 12-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I don't think jlynn was being rude at all. He briefly summed up your rant and the solution to the rant, which you can't disagree with. He was not unpleasant or rude.
If it hit a nerve for you, that's on you.

Yes it did hit a nerve and it is ON ME. And I’m not happy with myself with the deal I made. His comment was obvious and not called for. And yes, I don’t know him but he doesn’t know me and my situation either. I apologize for my “rant” and for insinuating he was being rude.
Now, can we all be friends?? [emoji16]
Old 12-16-2022, 09:07 AM   #18

I love happy endings

Great everybody's right and nobody's wrong. The moderators on this forum keep things nice and polite. Thank you. I get so tired of the crap on some of the other forums I visit.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good camping season in 2023.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #19

We bought a new RV last year. At an RV show we were offered $10,000 and $12000 (from 2 different dealers) for trade in. We bought, out of state saving about $7,000. We sold ours for privately for $5,000 more in one day. We didn’t have or need to buy, the wife researched the heck out of the dealership (and by the way they were great). One problem after the sale that was taken care of in a timely manner. We lucked out by doing our due diligence. My advice would be…. Don’t rush into a sale and don’t be afraid of walking away.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #20

They really don`t care if you walk out because they didn`t kiss your butt. The salesman is the loser because one of the other salespeople will sell any unit they have in stock. Like they told me in the negotiations for my unit. The salesman said they sell everyone one they get in it`s just a matter of who gets to sell it. When's the last time you`ve seen a end of the year clearance sale on a fifth wheel of any size. So if your window shopping, they don`t even want to talk to you. I wouldn`t either.
Try and buy or order a Ford 150 electric truck, Truck of the year award, no longer taking orders as they have a 1 1/2 years of production sold already. Same thing, just go away. People are waiting in line to buy and resale one at 5,000 to 8,000 dollars more privately. There`s even a web site for pre sold ones when they come in. Good luck. Supply and demand it drives the worlds engine.
Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
Closed Thread