Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #1

Great Outdoors RV Evans, Colorado

We have purchased four new campers in the last eight years. The last two were from Great Outdoors. Like reported by others they are a small locally owned shop that cares about service and reputation. Pricing is posted on the internet and are more than competive locally. The large wholesalers can do better but supporting local business along with local service is worth it.
Like all campers some warranty work will be needed. Especially the special kind of work only the dealer can provide. We had some fiberglass spider cracking on our new Rockwood. And some welding on a level up bracket on our Cedar Creek. Welding is not done yet but scheduled and expect it completed shortly. The other warranty work required on our first two went to the big dealer we bought it from and sat for months in the fall/winter waiting to get it in. Since then I have learned if its small and easily fixed yourself just do it. We bought our Rockwood off the lot and ordered our Cedar Creek both thru Greatoutdoors and have been very satisfied.

2016 GMC Denali HD Duramax
2018 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Dlockwood26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

Agreed! We bought our first camper from them last fall, and they were fantastic to work with. :-)
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlockwood26 View Post
[...] Pricing is posted on the internet and are more than competive locally. [sic][...]
I will give it a chance to earn my business. Unfortunately, its internet pricing is laughable, at best. So, hopefully that is a starting point. I've heard good things about Great Outdoors, so I'll start there and give it a try. Mine will be an order, as nobody in Colorado carries my floorplan of choice.

But, CO pricing is generally dreadful. There is also the extra ~$1,000 dealers pay here for delivery, as compared to the great lakes region. That makes it tough for both of us. I might pay $1,000 more to stay local ... but probably not much more than that. It only takes a few hundred dollars to drive to Indiana, e.g.

Thanks for the review.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Grammar Pedant

Just an update on my end. Super nice folks up there. Very responsive to emails and phone calls. Easy to talk to and deal with. From that end, one of the best RV/auto dealerships I've ever worked with. Thumbs up!

However, they are over $3,000 more than an identically equipped trailer in Indiana ... 15%+ premium. And, that was the rock-bottom, "I can't believe he even offered you that price" price.

Costs about $500 for a round-trip to Indiana to save 15% on the purchase price. I'm not super excited about that trip, but this is significant money. Looking at Wana in Indiana and RV One in Des Moines (though, they don't respond to emails).

So, yes, Great Outdoors seems like a really good outfit. But, as expected, CO pricing is just jacked up and not competitive nationally.

Good luck.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Team

It's worse on the West Coast.
RV dealers know few will drive to the Midwest, to save money.

We did though and saved over $4k, even after trip costs.

Make sure you contact FR for local dealers willing to do warranty work.
We had no problem finding them, with FR's help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Just an update on my end. Super nice folks up there. Very responsive to emails and phone calls. Easy to talk to and deal with. From that end, one of the best RV/auto dealerships I've ever worked with. Thumbs up!

However, they are over $3,000 more than an identically equipped trailer in Indiana ... 15%+ premium. And, that was the rock-bottom, "I can't believe he even offered you that price" price.

Costs about $500 for a round-trip to Indiana to save 15% on the purchase price. I'm not super excited about that trip, but this is significant money. Looking at Wana in Indiana and RV One in Des Moines (though, they don't respond to emails).

So, yes, Great Outdoors seems like a really good outfit. But, as expected, CO pricing is just jacked up and not competitive nationally.

Good luck.
My understanding is that in Indiana you'll have to pay Indiana sales tax and then tax again when you register in your state. I recommend you contact RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH. I've bought 4 campers from them since 2011 and highly recommend them. I know for a fact that in Ohio you don't have to pay Ohio sales tax, just have to pay tax when you register in your home state.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

No. While state sales tax might be collected at the time of purchase, the buyer will only pay according to the state in which is the RV will reside.

For example, in Indiana, there is a 7% state sales tax. In Colorado, there is a 2.9% state sales tax. If I bought in Indiana, the dealership would actually collect 2.9% sales tax. Indiana department of revenue will then transfer that tax to Colorado at some point.

When I register the trailer back in Colorado, I will pay local (county/city) sales tax (2.5% for me, more for others), registration fees, and ownership tax (excise tax). I won't have to pay the 2.9% state sales tax again.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
No. While state sales tax might be collected at the time of purchase, the buyer will only pay according to the state in which is the RV will reside.

For example, in Indiana, there is a 7% state sales tax. In Colorado, there is a 2.9% state sales tax. If I bought in Indiana, the dealership would actually collect 2.9% sales tax. Indiana department of revenue will then transfer that tax to Colorado at some point.

When I register the trailer back in Colorado, I will pay local (county/city) sales tax (2.5% for me, more for others), registration fees, and ownership tax (excise tax). I won't have to pay the 2.9% state sales tax again.
I would confirm this. There was a news article I read recently where Indiana was contemplating changing the law because they were losing sales because the buyers would have to pay tax twice. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but if it's setup the way you state, I don't see what the issue is and the article would have been pointless.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door