Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Has lying become the norm for service departments?

I can’t believe that lying to customers is just a daily occurrence. After being caught once, I didn’t think that Giant Recreation World in Palm Bay Florida would lie again, but they did. I brought my Wildcat 5er to Giant Recreation World to get the refrigerator fixed. At first they said it needed a new thermastor. They said that they ordered it and they would call me when it was in. After 3 weeks and no call, I called them. They told me that the part had not come in yet. I called the fallowing week. Still no part. I then called Dometic. The lady from Dometic told me to get an RGA number. She said that all orders that are under warranty will have an RGA number. I called Giant Recreation World back and asked if my part came in. They said that they were still waiting on Dometic to send it. I then asked them for the RGA number. They said that they couldn’t find it and that they would have to call me back. The next day I called them back and they told me that Dometic lost the email that they had sent and nothing has been ordered. A few weeks went by and they finally replaced the thermastor. That didn’t fix the problem. I noticed a lot of ice building up in the freezer so they thought that it might be a seal problem. They said that they would order new doors for me. I told them to only order a freezer door and not a new refrigerator door because I just replaced it two months prior, for the same reason. About three weeks went by and no call. I called Giant Recreation World to see if my door was in. Once again they said no. Another week went by and no call. Again I called Dometic. I gave them the RGA number and they said that the parts had been delivered and signed for the previous week. I then called Giant Recreation World and asked if my door had come in and they said no. I then told them that Dometic told me that they signed for it a week ago. They then sounded upset and said that they would get back to me. They called me the next day and said that they would have to get me a different door because they sent it to the wrong shop. I then checked with Dometic as to where they sent the door. They told me who signed for it and gave me the address which was the Giant Recreation World in Palm Bay, Fl. They called me the next day and said that they found it. They replaced my door and when I got home to turn on the refrigerator, I noticed a big dent and scratch across the front of my refrigerator. I immediately called them and asked them if they changed my refrigerator door. They said that they did after I had already told them that the door was a new door. I told them to keep the one that they took off because this one has a dent and scratch. When I went into the store to talk to them about it, the tech stated that when they had the refrigerator out of the camper to repair it, it fell face first onto the door. I guess they were hoping that I wouldn’t notice it since no one had said a thing to me about it. Now I am waiting on a new door. I called them two days ago and they said that it is not in yet. I called Dometic and they said that nothing has been ordered. I called Giant Recreation World back and told them that I caught them in another lie. They got upset and tried to blame it on Dometic. The next day they called back and stated that the tech had forgotten to place the order. I can’t wait to be done with this place. Bad service is one thing, but being lied to over and over again is uncalled for and simply wrong. Sorry for the rant but being treated like that just gets me going.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Our dealer from this trailer was caught in lies more times than I can count..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #3

Unfortunately a lot of us have had experiences like yours. Many people will lie to you and expect to never get caught. (Do I look that dumb?) I am often surprised at their lack of conscience when they are caught. Happily, I can report that I still encounter a larger number of honest persons in this world.
I will never go back to the FR dealer in my town for any reason. Most likely the persons who lied repeatedly to me are no longer employed there, but the owner was aware of and condoned the act.
If I am in the market for another RV it will in all likelihood be a FR product and I will search the country for the best price and let service happen where it will. I will push FR will help me find service if/when it is needed and my local dealer can "lie.......when the truth would sound better" to someone else.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I can’t believe that lying to customers is just a daily occurrence. After being caught once, I didn’t think that Giant Recreation World in Palm Bay Florida would lie again, but they did. I brought my Wildcat 5er to Giant Recreation World to get the refrigerator fixed. At first they said it needed a new thermastor. They said that they ordered it and they would call me when it was in. After 3 weeks and no call, I called them. They told me that the part had not come in yet. I called the fallowing week. Still no part. I then called Dometic. The lady from Dometic told me to get an RGA number. She said that all orders that are under warranty will have an RGA number. I called Giant Recreation World back and asked if my part came in. They said that they were still waiting on Dometic to send it. I then asked them for the RGA number. They said that they couldn’t find it and that they would have to call me back. The next day I called them back and they told me that Dometic lost the email that they had sent and nothing has been ordered. A few weeks went by and they finally replaced the thermastor. That didn’t fix the problem. I noticed a lot of ice building up in the freezer so they thought that it might be a seal problem. They said that they would order new doors for me. I told them to only order a freezer door and not a new refrigerator door because I just replaced it two months prior, for the same reason. About three weeks went by and no call. I called Giant Recreation World to see if my door was in. Once again they said no. Another week went by and no call. Again I called Dometic. I gave them the RGA number and they said that the parts had been delivered and signed for the previous week. I then called Giant Recreation World and asked if my door had come in and they said no. I then told them that Dometic told me that they signed for it a week ago. They then sounded upset and said that they would get back to me. They called me the next day and said that they would have to get me a different door because they sent it to the wrong shop. I then checked with Dometic as to where they sent the door. They told me who signed for it and gave me the address which was the Giant Recreation World in Palm Bay, Fl. They called me the next day and said that they found it. They replaced my door and when I got home to turn on the refrigerator, I noticed a big dent and scratch across the front of my refrigerator. I immediately called them and asked them if they changed my refrigerator door. They said that they did after I had already told them that the door was a new door. I told them to keep the one that they took off because this one has a dent and scratch. When I went into the store to talk to them about it, the tech stated that when they had the refrigerator out of the camper to repair it, it fell face first onto the door. I guess they were hoping that I wouldn’t notice it since no one had said a thing to me about it. Now I am waiting on a new door. I called them two days ago and they said that it is not in yet. I called Dometic and they said that nothing has been ordered. I called Giant Recreation World back and told them that I caught them in another lie. They got upset and tried to blame it on Dometic. The next day they called back and stated that the tech had forgotten to place the order. I can’t wait to be done with this place. Bad service is one thing, but being lied to over and over again is uncalled for and simply wrong. Sorry for the rant but being treated like that just gets me going.

Some are habitual liars. Getting caught will not change their habit. Often the lies are intended to hide their incompetence.

On my first RV the service writer lied to me in every conversation. She caused that dealership to lose a sale on my next purchase. Then she was not there so I went back looking for something larger. After a few visits I noticed she was back at work. I have not been back there since.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

I will never use a dealer again. Way overpriced and/or not trustworthy has been my experience.
Fortunately I have a small, independent repair shop close by when I have to bring it in but I try to do as much as I can myself. Etrailer and PPL are very helpful!
WERA #13
'17 Work and Play 25WB
'11 F350 DRW
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Paragraphs, please!

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

I am familiar with that GRW location. It is brand new, but the same bullies work there! The only thing worse is the ________ at Camping world in Cocoa! I have a friend that uses/purchases from GRW near Daytona, but I can not verify their performance, but he seems ok.

I 100% service my own vehicle as I am a mine OEM. However my GT 270, _____. I'll leave it there for now. I have to R&R the windshield and after 8 weeks of similar lies, I may be forced to bring it to the selling dealer 150+ miles away in Jacksonville as I am initiating a major law suit. I can not believe I appear to be the first to hold these _________ accountable for their defective products, bullying, and ________!

This is my first and LAST RV ever. And I thought FR/GT was OK after having a decent FR TT. Same POS like Thor ACE. Never again. I have already steered many sales away after they have observed my situation.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Are service departments that are part of "Multiple Brand RV Sales" still considered "Bad Forest River Service Departments"? Do they Service SOBs Better? Youroo!!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

We are fortunate to have a fantastic dealer here in southern Indiana..... Basdens' American RV. They have been very good doing warranty work on our Coachmen Apex.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Unfortunately this is nothing new............ had similar experiences in the 1970s and 1980s and so on..................................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

Ugh, that's awful
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #12

When we began our search for a new trailer I joined several forums representing different brands. Generally the posts were supportive of their brand choice but a common complaint was the dealers. I find this to be true on this forum.
When we decided on a trailer we visited the local dealers. This was not a good experience. All of them had what was called a "dealer prep charge" and unlike the new car charge this one ranged between $1,000.00 to a high of $1,800.00. One dealer had a paper work charge and none of them offered this charge until the deal had been negotiated.
The sales people were not professional, most appeared to be used car cast offs with little knowledge of the product and RVs in general. At one dealership they would not tell me if their service workers were RVDA-RVIA certified saying that was over rated. The follow-up phone calls we received were laughable. Most had some sort of the line,"if you don't decide now it will cost you more." I am still getting those calls months later.
We ended up driving over 200miles to a dealer in Michigan, Hewlett RV. They have no hidden fees.The shop is open to inspect and you can talk with any technician. I had a problem with the slide after we got home.They sent the parts at no charge, offered to walk me through the repair and followed up twice to make certain all was well. Sadly, they are 200 miles from me and the four local Coachman dealers are worthless.
Forest River obviously has a problem with its dealer network. I am happy with our purchase but worry what would I do if I ever had to visit a dealer for service?
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Don't understand the uproar over an rv salesman lying. Have never met any kind of salesman that didn't lie, regardless of what they're selling.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Grammar Pedant

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #15

Lying? Man can not change what comes natural.....

But do not be in despair for:.....

"We are from the Government and we are here to help.... "

Why, you ask???

"Because you are too stupid to know any difference and we will make a law to make all things better"....

The 'Buyer' needs to beware, in all things... trust nothing....
to 'trust' is to be disappointed.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #16

We don't care about any dealers. We find the model we want, find the lowest price anywhere in the US, buy it. It's the first and last interaction with dealer. Then we use certified independent service only shops/mobile for any warranty work we can't handle ourselves. We are much happier! We have found the independent service to be very quick and reliable. No problems with any warranty claims. Worthless Dealer Problem solved.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service