Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 06:09 AM   #1

Talking Open Roads RV, Acworth Georgia - customer service

Long story short, we took our TT in for maintenance and drove out with a 2020 Rockwood 5th wheel. Not exactly impulse buy as we had been pricing and kicking tires for the last year. Open Roads staff friendly and accommodating, worked with us on the sale, no high pressure stuff.
First 5er after 20+ years with travel trailers and I knew zero about the hitch and pin box set-up.
The pin box is the Lippert Turning Point and Open Roads installed a Curt Q20 hitch, their recommendation.
Service tech did a very thorough job on the new RV orientation.
After a rough tow home (hitch was noisy and felt like too much play in the tow point) I was left wondering if the set-up was bad or my inexperience with 5th wheel was showing. If a TT had operated like that I would have been concerned.
So I joined this community and started reading. I called Lippert and Curt for advice, and the Curt tech echoed what I have been reading, the Q series hitches ARE NOT compatible with any rotational pin boxes.
I should have done my homework on this ahead of time but I trusted the experts, the guys selling and installing the gear.
End of the saga: I called Open Roads, talked to Caleb, Caleb called Curt and called me back same day with an apology and a “when can you come in to install the correct hitch?” This was Thursday afternoon. Friday afternoon they swapped out the hitch.
The good: Open Roads staff worked hard to make this right no questions asked.
The bad: Open Roads should have known the correct gear, know the product you are selling. Tow gear is critical.
The lesson: I need to be the expert and will do my “due diligence” in the future. The resources are easily accessible. That one is on me. Unfortunately I cannot totally trust my local RV dealers to provide solid knowledge but now I know.
Open Roads, great customer service...good thing I own a torque wrench...
5thwheelinfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #2

Congrats and nice report, sounds like you also helped the dealer's service department learn something as well. Glad they took such good care getting things right for you, now get out and enjoy!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, service