Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2023, 05:41 AM   #1
Ham Radio Op

Pete's RV Massachusettes

In March my wife and I went to Pete's RV to buy a Cherokee Wolf Pup 18TO. We dealt with Austin and at first, he seemed awesome to deal with. We put a deposit down on one and was told the order was in. A few weeks later I get a text message from Austin that the unit was forgotten to be ordered. They put in the order that morning and claimed it'd be 2 weeks. 13 days later (4/10) I get a message that the camper arrived. I schedule my pickup for 4/18 and everything seems OK.

Pickup day comes, we go to the 15 min orientation that was supposed to be 90 minutes. Everything seemed OK. They already had everything set up. Nothing was really tested.

I drove home, leveled the camper, go to extend the slide-out and it would not move at all in one corner, banging and popping. I sent Austin a text, he replies back to keep moving it in and out a little that this is normal. I follow his instructions but it feels so wrong. I eventually take and send him a video where he say "stop, that's bad, it needs service". Pete's RV picked up the camper as the slide-out at this point was jammed in the middle. That was over a month ago. I still do not have the unit or any ETA. I've been getting endless spews of lies and false promises. I've never even heard of customer service this bad before.

At this point, I'm seeking help from the state of Massachusetts as well as shopping around for an attorney, just to deal with the service dept at Pete's as a result of the number of lies they've told me. They also don't listen at all when you're on the phone with them so really, they don't even realize what was said or agreed to on the last call(s) so they don't even realize their lies.

If you actually want to have a working camper, don't go to Pete's RV. If you want to retain you sanity, stay far, far away from Pete's RV. That place will give permanent emotional damage.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:46 AM   #2

Thanks for the feedback. They are opening one here in Maine soon. However, IMO, most dealerships here in Maine are pretty much the same.

I'm not sure whether or not I dreamed this up in my fantasy world, but I believe I read about a dealership in New Hampshire that actually had an attached campground for new buyers and they allowed you to camp for a couple of days to get you acquainted with your new camper with techs next door at the ready to look at any issues that you found.

I also recommend everyone record their telephone calls when dealing with entities like dealerships with similar issues.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:50 AM   #3
Ham Radio Op

Thank you. Yes, so far this dealership has worst customer service than any Walmart or really, any business I've ever heard of.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Team

That sucks...
Another horror story that shows how important the initial pre-delivery walk thru really is. Test everything! Operate every slide, jack, sound system, awning, ceiling fan, AC, furnace, water heater and pump. They are a LOT more willing to get you taken care of in a timely manner before you hand them the check.
Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
I also recommend everyone record their telephone calls when dealing with entities like dealerships with similar issues.
Not sure how legal that is in all the states.

I like to have written documentation of most everything, email and texts are a great way to do that and have not ever heard that keeping either one is against the law.
Dealing with a billing matter now of sorts, everything is in the emails.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:11 AM   #6
Ham Radio Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post

I like to have written documentation of most everything, email and texts are a great way to do that and have not ever heard that keeping either one is against the law.
Everyone is welcome to record conversations but using them for litigation purpose or evidence will have to be done according to the process outlined by the law. Many forgetful people will [legally] record conversations for their own recollection of it and that is legal, as I know it. Intent is important with law.

As of this morning I've instructed the dealership that I will no longer take any verbal communications via telephone and all communications will need to be by text messages or email.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #7
Ham Radio Op

Update:

The service manager texted me back, after my text requesting all communications be through text or email was him asking me to call for an offer that he has for me after speaking to the owners or a "very, very brief" email that will outline what actions they're taking. Essentially trying to bully me into calling to avoid any documented communications method.

I replied back saying that I would call but only after he agrees in a text message reply to allow me to record and document the call. He replied back saying that would not be necessary and that he will just email me the "repair and delivery plan" after reviewing it with his "MAC dealership" but I have no idea what a MAC dealership is.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #8

Unfortunately this is kind of a common theme in the industry. Not to imply all dealerships. But too many. And it doesnt seem to matter if its a large corporation or a small town dealer, these issues are prevalent. If the products off the assembly line were better, that would prevent many of these negative experiences.

I cant speak for the dealer, or anyone else for that matter, but in some cases I feel like the dealer gets the runaround from the manufacturers with regard to fixing these factory screw ups. While they are trying to get it resolved, the customer (in this case you) is rightfully trying to get to the bottom of it. The dealer doesnt have answers yet, so they end up giving you the run around to slow play the entire situation hoping and praying the manufacturers take care of it in the meantime. But we all know it doesnt get fixed, and then the dealer has to give you more of the runaround and its just goes downhill from there.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:48 AM   #9
Ham Radio Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Unfortunately this is kind of a common theme in the industry. Not to imply all dealerships. But too many. And it doesnt seem to matter if its a large corporation or a small town dealer, these issues are prevalent. If the products off the assembly line were better, that would prevent many of these negative experiences.

I cant speak for the dealer, or anyone else for that matter, but in some cases I feel like the dealer gets the runaround from the manufacturers with regard to fixing these factory screw ups. While they are trying to get it resolved, the customer (in this case you) is rightfully trying to get to the bottom of it. The dealer doesnt have answers yet, so they end up giving you the run around to slow play the entire situation hoping and praying the manufacturers take care of it in the meantime. But we all know it doesnt get fixed, and then the dealer has to give you more of the runaround and its just goes downhill from there.
In the end, I would be understanding and not irate at this point if they had just told me the truth. If they just need time, tell me that. Not "it will be ready in a few days" knowing I have reservations the next week and then call me the night before with "we're still troubleshooting the issue".
Old 05-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post

Dave, there are "two party consent to record" states and "one party consent to record" states.

In "One party" States only one party needs to know and in "Two party" States you need to tell the other party that you are recording the conversation which in most cases is no big deal. Typically most of the larger companies record their important telephone communications.

RI is a one party state according to the WEB.

https://recordinglaw.com/united-stat...onsent-states/
Old 05-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #11
Ham Radio Op

Quote:
Dave, there are "two party consent to record" states and "one party consent to record" states.

In "One party" States only one party needs to know and in "Two party" States you need to tell the other party that you are recording the conversation which in most cases is no big deal. Typically most of the larger companies record their important telephone communications.

RI is a one party state according to the WEB.

https://recordinglaw.com/united-stat...onsent-states/
I do believe the direction of call matters on the one-party thing in RI. I believe I can record incoming without announcing it but not outgoing.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:20 PM   #12

Kudos to the OP for calling out the dealer in his first post.I never understood why posters would rant about a negative experience but not be willing to share the name of the dealer.

I call BS on dealers being a victim of manufacturers. Dealers priority should be first and foremost to their customers. They should be working on behalf of their clients to build their reputation and protect their brand.

If you own a business and value your reputation then you should do what's right by your paying customers. Anything less is excuses and nonsense. If the manufacturer you represent doesn't provide quality product, then ditch them and work with one that does.

Dealers who sell crap and know the manufacturer is okay with providing crap should be avoided. Do your due diligence.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:01 AM   #13
Ham Radio Op

Since requesting all communications through email and text I received an ultimatum from Bobby. I could call for a detailed update, possibly including a deal that he discussed with ownership or I can accept a "brief, very brief" description of what they're going to do.

This was the email:

Old 05-29-2023, 08:42 PM   #14

RIGeek I am really sorry to hear about this. Believe me when I tell you this is not normal. My wife and I are on our sixth RV in 40 years of camping and have never had these sorts of issues that seemed to be epidemic since the Covid19 issue. There are always a few odds and ends to address when acquiring a new RV but not to the scale that you have discussed here. Unfortunately, it seems like everything has gone to **** over the past few years regarding the camping experience overall. More frequently than not it takes an act of God to book a site at a decent campground these days, and camping etiquette among those who have recently engaged in the camping experience is nonexistent. And some campgrounds now charge as if they are providing you with s 5 star hotel room and offer substandard service. I hate to be such a downer but I want you to know that your feeling are justified for the treatment you've received. I wish you all the best.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:53 PM   #15
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
I'm not sure whether or not I dreamed this up in my fantasy world, but I believe I read about a dealership in New Hampshire that actually had an attached campground for new buyers and they allowed you to camp for a couple of days to get you acquainted with your new camper with techs next door at the ready to look at any issues that you found.
Lazy Days in Tucson, AZ has this. We bought our Grand Design there and it included 1 shakeout night at the attached KOA... nice place and under solar-powered canopies (July purchase). Our water heater leaked and they came right over to tighten a fitting. Everything else worked ok. Only 2 issues in the 4 years and 12,000 miles we had that TT (microwave and axle alignment... axles replaced for free out of warranty)... hoping my 2020 3011DS has the same reliability...
Old 05-29-2023, 11:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. They are opening one here in Maine soon. However, IMO, most dealerships here in Maine are pretty much the same.

Good luck!

That is Cold Spring RV. We used them about 7 years ago for a repair of a unit not bought through them and their service department is great to deal with. Two other great dealerships in the area are VT Country Campers in VT, who also has a campground, and their new NH location of NH Country Campers, who does not have a campground.

The best overall experience we ever had, hands down, was for our last purchase and that was from RV Value Mart in Willow Street, PA. They went above and beyond in so many ways and their pricing was more than fair. Above all, they were HONEST. Would highly recommend them.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGeek View Post
Since requesting all communications through email and text I received an ultimatum from Bobby. I could call for a detailed update, possibly including a deal that he discussed with ownership or I can accept a "brief, very brief" description of what they're going to do.

This was the email:

I've been where you are and you can't let up but what I did is go to the dealership when it was in there for repair. Not only with my wife but many times with someone I could trust so there's a witness to what the conversation was. In the end things were eventually taken care of but I battled them not letting up for over a year. Keep notes on every conversation and when I went into to discuss the status. I'd write everything down, time, date and who was with me. After a while they caught own I wasn't going to let up. I'm not sure how close the dealer is to you but try, bring a friend approach once and see what they have to say. It could be in your best interest to get this through the wickets with this company. I agree with others there are a few good RV dealers out there but from what I can tell they're not many....JMO
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #18
Ham Radio Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I've been where you are and you can't let up but what I did is go to the dealership when it was in there for repair. Not only with my wife but many times with someone I could trust so there's a witness to what the conversation was. In the end things were eventually taken care of but I battled them not letting up for over a year. Keep notes on every conversation and when I went into to discuss the status. I'd write everything down, time, date and who was with me. After a while they caught own I wasn't going to let up. I'm not sure how close the dealer is to you but try, bring a friend approach once and see what they have to say. It could be in your best interest to get this through the wickets with this company. I agree with others there are a few good RV dealers out there but from what I can tell they're not many....JMO
Thank you. I have learned a lot though this experience but have now hired assistance as the dealership is completely ignoring me now.
RIGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:07 AM   #19

Quote:

Good luck!
The place in New Hampshire you are referring to is Cold Spring RV. I bought my first camper from them in 2020 after getting a good feeling about them at the RV show. I store it there every winter and they have never been anything short of professional, efficient, and transparent.They dealt with a couple issues for me, one warranty related, and one that was solved with my extended warranty. I'm not sure where Pete's RV is located, but it would be worth the trip to Cold Spring. They are located in Weare New Hampshire.
waverider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
Kudos to the OP for calling out the dealer in his first post.I never understood why posters would rant about a negative experience but not be willing to share the name of the dealer.

I call BS on dealers being a victim of manufacturers. Dealers priority should be first and foremost to their customers. They should be working on behalf of their clients to build their reputation and protect their brand.

If you own a business and value your reputation then you should do what's right by your paying customers. Anything less is excuses and nonsense. If the manufacturer you represent doesn't provide quality product, then ditch them and work with one that does.

Dealers who sell crap and know the manufacturer is okay with providing crap should be avoided. Do your due diligence.

That's all well and good but then there would be no dealerships at all because every manufacturer is guilty of selling garbage. It's a similar argument to the "we should just stop buying rvs until they fix the quality issues" argument.
J Man is offline   Reply With Quote