Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

RV Retailer…dba Colerain RV

I’ve now come to the realization that when buying an RV from Colerain, you are treated like being on a 1st date, after taking delivery it goes downhill from there. Great employees, poor management practices have delayed input of several warranty claims for nearly a month since inspection with the excuse that they don’t have anyone to submit the claims to FR as well as an “IT Issue”. Their internal issues have therefore become my issues. A totally unacceptable chain of events.
On the other hand, FR has reacted to my warranty issues professionally awaiting claim input from Colerain to initiate approval. White ball for Forest River, Black ball for Colerain and ultimately RV Retailer!
Buyer Beware!!!
Old 12-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #2

Warranty claims take a back seat to other paying customers at every dealership because FR reimbursement rates are below dealer labor rates. Your story is one of thousands of similar ones.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Warranty claims take a back seat to other paying customers at every dealership because FR reimbursement rates are below dealer labor rates. Your story is one of thousands of similar ones.

Initial quality and warranty reimbursement processes continue to be a major problem in the RV industry. (It amazes me that RV owners purchase a new unit and then begin the process of rebuilding and correcting the new unit because of initial quality and component issues). The auto industry had the same issues in the late 60’s and 70’s until Toyota and Honda appeared and forced American manufacturers to improve. Maybe that’s what the RV industry needs is either a current manufacturer to step up or a couple of new quality focused manufacturers to enter the playing field.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOFR3 View Post
The auto industry had the same issues in the late 60’s and 70’s until Toyota and Honda appeared and forced American manufacturers to improve. Maybe that’s what the RV industry needs is either a current manufacturer to step up or a couple of new quality focused manufacturers to enter the playing field.
I love Toyota! And the rest of the Japanese Manufacturers. They did the American Auto industry a huge favor by providing competition. American Cars and Trucks are so much better than back in the 60s and earlier. All due to competition from Japan.

I guess Kawasaki has to start making Class A RVs over here

Having said that. I have never owned a Ricer and never will.

That is just me.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Whenever the suggestion that Asian competition would help improve the RV Industry, I always ask, exactly how would this happen.
Japanese auto manufacturers had already been making automobiles for their country for years. So it wasn't much of a stretch to be competitive in the NA market.
But there is no market for RVs in Japan or any other Asian country. Plus the cost of exporting RVs to the NA market, would be cost-prohibitive. RVs would take up 2 or 3 times the space as an automobile, on ships.
The only scenario that could possibly happen, would be an Asian corporation purchasing a RV manufacturer. But IMHO, they wouldn't see it as a good investment.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Whenever the suggestion that Asian competition would help improve the RV Industry, I always ask, exactly how would this happen.
Japanese auto manufacturers had already been making automobiles for their country for years. So it wasn't much of a stretch to be competitive in the NA market.
But there is no market for RVs in Japan or any other Asian country. Plus the cost of exporting RVs to the NA market, would be cost-prohibitive. RVs would take up 2 or 3 times the space as an automobile, on ships.
The only scenario that could possibly happen, would be an Asian corporation purchasing a RV manufacturer. But IMHO, they wouldn't see it as a good investment.

HINO, the medium and heavy duty truck manufacturer owned by Toyota, also builds busses for other markets. They would be a natural to transition to RV’s. But then again, just one American manufacturer leading change could change the industry.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #7

While shopping for an fifth wheel years ago. I stopped at Colrain.

Something about them rubbed me wrong.

Less than helpful in the showroom.

Went over to rV nation. Easy.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #8

This Chinese motorhome looks pretty nice.
https://eusino-auto.en.made-in-china...Motorhome.html
Old 12-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #9

Since it's a Dynamax, why don't you repost the complaint in the Dynamax forum where BClemens will see it. He will help you find a workaround, e.g., authorization to have an independent repair shop do the work.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Since it's a Dynamax, why don't you repost the complaint in the Dynamax forum where BClemens will see it. He will help you find a workaround, e.g., authorization to have an independent repair shop do the work.

Larry, It seems the OP has a FR3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 20-26-39 Negative RV Retailer…dba Colerain RV - Forest River Forums.png
Views:	184
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	266614  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #11

It's not a Dynamax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Larry, It seems the OP has a FR3
It's not a Dynamax? What is it, then? Sunseeker and Forester models are 3xxx, so it can't be those.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
It's not a Dynamax? What is it, then? Sunseeker and Forester models are 3xxx, so it can't be those.
Aaah, Ok now I understand the confusion. FR3 is a make,..... like Sunseeker, Berkshire, Georgetown, Solera, etc.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/motorhomes

In the FR3 line, your would have specific models like you are thinking about:

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class-a-motorhomes/fr3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 21-33-23 Motorhomes Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers -.png
Views:	76
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	266619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 21-37-58 Forest River Forums - Forest River Owners Community.png
Views:	78
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	266620  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I was under the impression FR3s were made on the Georgetown line. I was sure I read that somewhere but I certainly could be mistaken.

I'm sure someone will set the record straight.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #14

Quote:

Larry, I have an FR3 and I’m working with Jason at FR who has been great! My issue is with Colerain’s slow turnaround in submitting the warranty claims. Thus I’ve posted the dealer concern in this forum. The warranty issues are well documented in the FR3 forum with the title “Spend 6 continuous weeks in an FR3 and give me your opinion”. I’m confident all will get worked out, but maybe not through Colerain.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #15

Which Colerain location are you dealing with?

My in-laws have purchased numerous trailers from the Dayton location, most recently 2 years ago, and they have never had an issue with purchase or warranty work. Admittedly though they bought Keystone Cougars, so I don’t know if Keystone is different than FR when it comes to warranty issues for the dealer.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
Which Colerain location are you dealing with?

My in-laws have purchased numerous trailers from the Dayton location, most recently 2 years ago, and they have never had an issue with purchase or warranty work. Admittedly though they bought Keystone Cougars, so I don’t know if Keystone is different than FR when it comes to warranty issues for the dealer.

Columbus/Delaware
Old 12-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #17

Quote:
I’ve now come to the realization that when buying an RV from Colerain, you are treated like being on a 1st date, after taking delivery it goes downhill from there. Great employees, poor management practices have delayed input of several warranty claims for nearly a month since inspection with the excuse that they don’t have anyone to submit the claims to FR as well as an “IT Issue”. Their internal issues have therefore become my issues. A totally unacceptable chain of events.
On the other hand, FR has reacted to my warranty issues professionally awaiting claim input from Colerain to initiate approval. White ball for Forest River, Black ball for Colerain and ultimately RV Retailer!
Buyer Beware!!!

Just to give an update on this fiasco…Colerain still HAS NOT submitted the warranty claims to FR after promising me this past Tuesday that they would be submitted that day. WOW!
Old 12-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Just to give an update on this fiasco…Colerain still HAS NOT submitted the warranty claims to FR after promising me this past Tuesday that they would be submitted that day. WOW!
Unfortunately we do read many similar threads as yours where the dealer is not submitting claims.

Hopefully it all gets taken care of

Old 12-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Unfortunately we do read many similar threads as yours where the dealer is not submitting claims.

Hopefully it all gets taken care of

I’ve read the “Warranty work from Dealers” thread that you authored and was well aware of the process and also the shortcomings of working with an RV “ dealer”. After a 47 year career in transportation equipment manufacturing including Dealer Development, I find it totally unacceptable for the dealer that you purchased the RV from to drag out repairs, and/or refuse to complete them while using the manufacturer and their processes as an excuse. That’s what I’m dealing with from Colerain. It’s not the expectation when you purchase a new RV regardless of manufacturer or RV type.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #20

Quote:
I’ve read the “Warranty work from Dealers” thread that you authored and was well aware of the process and also the shortcomings of working with an RV “ dealer”. After a 47 year career in transportation equipment manufacturing including Dealer Development, I find it totally unacceptable for the dealer that you purchased the RV from to drag out repairs, and/or refuse to complete them while using the manufacturer and their processes as an excuse. That’s what I’m dealing with from Colerain. It’s not the expectation when you purchase a new RV regardless of manufacturer or RV type.

Another week has gone by and Colerain still has not submitted my warranty claims and actual told me that they had. Lies!