Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #21

Quote:
It was like pulling teeth to find anyone that wanted to work.

SCOTRV...

Up until 2005 I worked as a high school vocational teacher... I don't know how a hands-on class like I used to teach works these COVID days, but I believe the post-secondary technical schools ( 2 year colleges and certification courses) still have in-person classes. CONTACT those schools and find and start a talented ( but as yet untrained) kid and employ them part-time afternoons and weekends. You may get rewarded with a great employee.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotrv View Post
From a dealers perspective. We have added two Tech Trainees. It was like pulling teeth to find anyone that wanted to work. Finding an experienced Tech. is futile. We are in the process of building additional service bays.

It's refreshing to hear some dealers recognize the need to expand their service department, given the industry boom everyone's been experiencing. But I'd bet there's a very small minority that're doing it.

I'll happily acknowledge one big reason against it is not enough qualified service advisors and techs are out there looking for work to occupy those new service bays. That'd be reason enough for me to add more service space only after acquiring additional experienced advisors/techs. Too costly these days for the "build it and they will come" mindset.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
SCOTRV...

Up until 2005 I worked as a high school vocational teacher... I don't know how a hands-on class like I used to teach works these COVID days, but I believe the post-secondary technical schools ( 2 year colleges and certification courses) still have in-person classes. CONTACT those schools and find and start a talented ( but as yet untrained) kid and employ them part-time afternoons and weekends. You may get rewarded with a great employee.
Great idea that we have tried for multiple years. We never got a single bite. But you never know if you will get a hit when you go fishing!
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
It's refreshing to hear some dealers recognize the need to expand their service department, given the industry boom everyone's been experiencing. But I'd bet there's a very small minority that're doing it.

I'll happily acknowledge one big reason against it is not enough qualified service advisors and techs are out there looking for work to occupy those new service bays. That'd be reason enough for me to add more service space only after acquiring additional experienced advisors/techs. Too costly these days for the "build it and they will come" mindset.
The other problem is if the dealership is not in a 365 day a year camping climate. You can't employee Techs seasonally if you want to have good Techs! It is a balancing act to have enough Techs for the the busy season and enough work to keep them busy in the off season.
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #25

ScotRV...
Quote:
Great idea that we have tried for multiple years. We never got a single bite. But you never know if you will get a hit when you go fishing!
Great that you have tried that... BUT did you SELL your job to the students? Make a contact with the actual vocational teacher, like the auto-mechanics teacher and setup a meeting during the school day where you can observe his shop and actually talk to the students. The teacher is usually more than willing to help you... at least the ones that I knew were.

These students often change on semesters ( or quarters) so that would mean two or 4 times a year I would personally visit and sell my job to the teacher/students at their place of business. Maybe bring along one of your successful mechanics closer to the students age that can speak about THEIR experiences at your dealership. KIDS by and large are NOT motivated like they used to be... but they CAN be motivated. Supply pizza to the class while doing this... clear with the teacher beforehand.

Back in the 90's and 2000's when I taught, teachers were required to have contacts with industry reps to advise the on what to teach to be able to supply the required workforce. We called this our Workforce Development Team. Any cooperation we got from industry people was greatly appreciated.

Tech schools would recruit students out of my class... same concept... the school came to the student. They showed a video, supplied some freebies and took some names for a follow up.

I doubt MOST students are even aware of RV and travel trailers and that they require to be worked on.

Good luck and I hope this helps you out.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
The other problem is if the dealership is not in a 365 day a year camping climate. You can't employee Techs seasonally if you want to have good Techs! It is a balancing act to have enough Techs for the the busy season and enough work to keep them busy in the off season.

I agree to an extent. I think most of us that've owned an RV for many years used to know the best time to take the RV in for service was late fall and winter when it was slowest. But, given the fact that the number of RV units that're supposed to be produced in 2021 is going to break the all time record set back in, like 2015 or 2016, makes me think otherwise.

Now, I don't own a dealership, so I can't speak with any authority as you can about the volume of service department activity in previous years off-seasons, compared to this past off season. I do know service for RV's here in NC, especially this last winter season, has never been busier. I got that info from both a Campingworld Service Advisor and Service Tech I know from a small, local RV repair shop.

Perhaps slow winter off-seasons, as we all used to know it, may become a thing of the past, for at least the next few years to come. Indeed, it is a fine balancing act in your industry, but I've got to believe you're going to see a healthy increase in service business. I'm certain you'd welcome, should it come to fruition, keeping your technical staff very busy and very billable.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
That's an excellent point I didn't think of either since I've always lived on the West Coast. We camp year-round here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #28

The dealer I use has an unusual but great system. If I need to get something done I call my assigned rep (they have four or five) to describe the work needed or problem. The rep will schedule an appointment (within 3-4 days) to verify the workscope and what parts are needed, and what warranties can be used. My three initial appointments were always on time. Once done with the review you take your rig home (or wherever it’s kept).

The dealer then verifies and gets warranty approvals and orders the needed parts. Once all is in place the rep calls the customer and arranges a very specific date and time to start the work. I had to have some generator work done that required removal and later a hydraulic hose replacement for a leveler. Both times I drove to the dealership the night before and stayed in their full hookup area. And, both times there was a knock on my door at 8 am. Better yet, both times the MH was back home in its carport with all work complete.

I realize this is a motor home only dealer where a -$100k class C is considered an entry level unit, the buyer is treated the same as one who bought one of the $500k and up units.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The dealer I use has an unusual but great system. If I need to get something done I call my assigned rep (they have four or five) to describe the work needed or problem. The rep will schedule an appointment (within 3-4 days) to verify the workscope and what parts are needed, and what warranties can be used. My three initial appointments were always on time. Once done with the review you take your rig home (or wherever it’s kept).

The dealer then verifies and gets warranty approvals and orders the needed parts. Once all is in place the rep calls the customer and arranges a very specific date and time to start the work. I had to have some generator work done that required removal and later a hydraulic hose replacement for a leveler. Both times I drove to the dealership the night before and stayed in their full hookup area. And, both times there was a knock on my door at 8 am. Better yet, both times the MH was back home in its carport with all work complete.

I realize this is a motor home only dealer where a -$100k class C is considered an entry level unit, the buyer is treated the same as one who bought one of the $500k and up units.
This is exactly how it should be.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #30

Quote:
From a dealers perspective. We have added two Tech Trainees. It was like pulling teeth to find anyone that wanted to work. Finding an experienced Tech. is futile. We are in the process of building additional service bays.
A few years after leaving the Army, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to hire technicians in a different field. I always tried to hire a Veteran. I would guess I probably hired over 20 Veterans in as many years. My success rate for a picking a good employee was about 98%. No, not bragging. Just an example of the quality of prospective employees available.

I used a "head hunter" that my corporate contracted with that was fairly successful. I also used the State Employment Bureaus. Of course the internet is full of resources. Just try to avoid the scams.

The chances of finding someone "WILLING TO WORK" in the Veteran community is pretty good. No snowflakes in formation.

Charlie Mike !
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service