Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #1

Stoltzfus RV & Marine West Chester, PA

It was noted on another thread that Stoltzfus RV & Marine West Chester is not at all affiliated with Stoltzfus Adamstown (positive review elsewhere). In fact, Stoltzfus RV & Marine is not a Forest River dealer. But they are an excellent service location for any RV. They have and keep timely appointments. They have a whole separate service bay for non-sales related repairs. We have had them do some major (and minor) work for us over the years and have always been pleased with the thorough and timely job. They are also a Progressive Preferred shop which means any work completed through a Progressive claim has a lifetime warranty.

Our most recent encounter was to get our new Chevrolet Spark setup to tow. The parts folks were excellent in providing options and knowledgeable in the best (and worst) solutions. Stoltzfus offers a "get on the road" towing package that includes a Blue Ox Aventa or Ascend tow bar, an SMI Stay-In-Play brake (or appropriate exhaust brake system), a drop hitch, independent TOAD light hookup, and hitch locking kit. The package was reasonably priced and installed in a very timely fashion. We were given a good lesson in how to hookup, and when our technician realized our coach needed a converter to work with the installed light system, he put that on for free since it was his mistake.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #2

One correction. While Stoltzfus DOES NOT carry Forest River motorhomes (which is what we were shopping for) they DO carry quite a few Forest River tow-behind products.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 09-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #3

Mr October, you and Witch Doctor need to talk in regards to "Spark Towing " he also has a Spark and Blue Ox ! But he has posted issues with "Sliding the Front Tires"! I think you could help each other, Thanks, Youroo! !
Old 09-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
One correction. While Stoltzfus DOES NOT carry Forest River motorhomes (which is what we were shopping for) they DO carry quite a few Forest River tow-behind products.
I wonder how long that's been. My parents bought a Georgetown and a Sunseeker from them.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

I made my first visit there a few weeks ago, just before the Harrisburg show. Wife and I Went to see a unit they had on sale. We only interacted with sales but the facility was impressive. Clean and looked professional anyway.
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Hope they have improved their service department, we bought a Open Road 5th wheel from them years ago and whenever I went in for warranty work I would have to repair their repair, finally just fixed any problems myself.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Hope they have improved their service department, we bought a Open Road 5th wheel from them years ago and whenever I went in for warranty work I would have to repair their repair, finally just fixed any problems myself.
Yep still the same... My parents went in for a loose slide topper . It was twisting the fabric when rolling in.. It was a warranty item.

It took almost two months to "get the parts" then 3 weeks to install.

They arrived to pick it up and had a brand new.... Awning. They removed the awning and did not fix the topper. They did the wrong repairs.. To something that had nothing wrong. Now the awning is not right and the topper is still not working properly.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
They had Sunseekers for sale this summer.

They just expanded there lot and. Uilt a new service building with 12 bays. They were or are hoping to hire more mechanics.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #9

Just my 2 cents

Viewed a YouTube video of one of their people showing our boat...a Bayliner F18...the guy didn’t know his ass from his elbow while claiming to have been in the business for decades. Unimpressed to say the least. Typical sales BS.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #10

Bought my pre-owned Forrest River from them, were very helpful. Only issue was excessive cost of yearly inspection (inc $97.00 for new windshield wipers on Ford 450, give me a break) Except for specific RV work, will look elsewhere.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowman View Post
Bought my pre-owned Forrest River from them, were very helpful. Only issue was excessive cost of yearly inspection (inc $97.00 for new windshield wipers on Ford 450, give me a break) Except for specific RV work, will look elsewhere.
If convenient for you try Garnet Ford on 202. They can lift, service and inspect your vehicle. Lower cost than Stoltzfus for many services. I use Wayne the fleet manager.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Actually they have added a whole second set of bays. One for warranty one for general service.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 10-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Viewed a YouTube video of one of their people showing our boat...a Bayliner F18...the guy didn’t know his ass from his elbow while claiming to have been in the business for decades. Unimpressed to say the least. Typical sales BS.
There isn't a boat dealer in Pennsylvania that knows what he/she is talking about. Pennsylvania is an awful State to buy or own a boat in.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 10-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Actually they have added a whole second set of bays. One for warranty one for general service.
I heard they were expanding just hope they can hire decent techs to work the new bays.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
I heard they were expanding just hope they can hire decent techs to work the new bays.
I think hiring decent techs is a struggle for the whole industry right now. Just not enough of them out there.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
I think hiring decent techs is a struggle for the whole industry right now. Just not enough of them out there.
I will have to agree with you there!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #17

I've usually done my own repairs on my campers. We have a 2011 T12RB A-Frame style camper and our spare tire assembly decided it didn't want to go where we wanted to camp. It did a lot of fiberglass damage when it left and the rear panel will have to be replaced. Since Stolzfus is closest to us that can deal with this kind of repair, I'm hoping they have solved their tech shortage problem that some have mentioned by now. When I called to make an appointment, they told me they only do my sort of repair after Thanksgiving! I don't really have a warm fuzzy feeling about our selling dealer, Media Camping in Hatboro. And the Media location, well if anyone has seen the place, you would understand
1995 Dakota V-8 Auto
Buddy Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Borders View Post
I've usually done my own repairs on my campers. We have a 2011 T12RB A-Frame style camper and our spare tire assembly decided it didn't want to go where we wanted to camp. It did a lot of fiberglass damage when it left and the rear panel will have to be replaced. Since Stolzfus is closest to us that can deal with this kind of repair, I'm hoping they have solved their tech shortage problem that some have mentioned by now. When I called to make an appointment, they told me they only do my sort of repair after Thanksgiving! I don't really have a warm fuzzy feeling about our selling dealer, Media Camping in Hatboro. And the Media location, well if anyone has seen the place, you would understand
I am surprised since Stoltzfus has a brand new service building. I guess they still haven't been able to hire more service and repair technicians.

I live a few miles from Media Camping in Media. It does look like a neglected dump but they have a reputation for good honest work. Knowing that and the convenience for me I still hesitate. I called today to inquire about a state inspection, $110. "just drop it off and we will get to it in order. Probably days, not weeks or longer. I am not comfortable leaving my motorhome there but many people do so for storage.

I did use their dump facility. Appeared to be a hole in the ground with a pipe sticking up. Kinda rough but it worked. I also get propane there.

One of my neighbors had them fix baggage doors on his motorhome. they fabricated new doors since replacements were no longer available. seems impressive to me.

The Hatboro location was changed into a Campers Inn last time I looked.

I also called Stoltzfus today and had to leave a voice mail. no call back yet. that is typical with my precious experience with them.

I will probably return to Garnet Ford for the inspection, they have service bays that accommodate motorhomes. then take my motorhome to Dylans in Jersey to check the caulking.

Maybe someone can chime in with more recent experiences with Media Camping and Stoltzfus.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I am surprised since Stoltzfus has a brand new service building. I guess they still haven't been able to hire more service and repair technicians.

I live a few miles from Media Camping in Media. It does look like a neglected dump but they have a reputation for good honest work. Knowing that and the convenience for me I still hesitate. I called today to inquire about a state inspection, $110. "just drop it off and we will get to it in order. Probably days, not weeks or longer. I am not comfortable leaving my motorhome there but many people do so for storage.

I did use their dump facility. Appeared to be a hole in the ground with a pipe sticking up. Kinda rough but it worked. I also get propane there.

One of my neighbors had them fix baggage doors on his motorhome. they fabricated new doors since replacements were no longer available. seems impressive to me.

The Hatboro location was changed into a Campers Inn last time I looked.

I also called Stoltzfus today and had to leave a voice mail. no call back yet. that is typical with my precious experience with them.

I will probably return to Garnet Ford for the inspection, they have service bays that accommodate motorhomes. then take my motorhome to Dylans in Jersey to check the caulking.

Maybe someone can chime in with more recent experiences with Media Camping and Stoltzfus.
I used to get homeless out of their campers all the time when I worked that area.. They never locked anything and the troopers always found visitors in the summer and winter.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I used to get homeless out of their campers all the time when I worked that area.. They never locked anything and the troopers always found visitors in the summer and winter.

Ah Ha, I knew I heard that before. I didn’t want to say it in case I was wrong.

I guess if someone is going to leave their RV for service they should remove most of the contents.

They told me to leave the keys in a specific location.

I will probably follow my gut and not leave it there. I don’t think I can be comfortable leaving it there.

BTW, it is now well over 24 hours with no return call from Stoltzfus Service writer.

I am planning on getting a larger RV and was seriously considering Stoltzfus because of the convenience and my excellent relationship with a couple of the sales staff. The customer unfriendly service writers may force me to go elsewhere and save many $$$$.